Germany /Leica academy

Guest guy_mancuso

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Confirmed. Same applies in Poland (where I am today... )

BTW - maybe Guy can congratulate Leica on performance at 1250 - I shot a whole set of interiors (theatre in process of construction) without realising I'd not set back to 340... but was blown away by how good they were - I've never really bothered with 1250 before - but it may become standard!

I understand the glass industry makes special glass in batches. So if planning goes awry, or if there is a sudden heavy demand (IR/UV coated glass!) supplies will run out before the production process is stoked up again.

Interesting. I find it ironic that some of the glass sorts invented at the Leitz glass laboratory are now made by Schott, which I understand is owned by Zeiss. I wonder if there is some politics going on in the pricing, or if there is a contract to prevent that.

Btw, Jaap, welcome to the 2000+ post club :) I took the liberty to look through the member list today (yes, 13700+), and found out that there are vastly more people with 0 posts than all others combined, and probably more 0-50 posters than all more-frequent-posters combined. Around 100 it narrows down considerably, there is a real narrowing to 500+, and above 1000 posts it breaks down as follows:

1000+: 32

2000+: 9

3000+: 3

4000+: 0

5000+: 2, stuny, one of the moderators, and guess who: Guy! :)

Obviously, we are both in the 2000+ group. Mark Norton is in the 3000+ group. I forget who else. One person I knew, the other not. Perhaps someone on the German side.

Btw, there is a real dominance of German members. Probably more than half of all members.

The stats would make a lot more sense if members who have never posted would get dropped after some arbitrary period of inactivity.

Guest guy_mancuso

quickly put some images up from Wetzlar

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I should have a constant connection after tonight along with the other 5 Mac folks . Anyway went to Solms today for a tour, WOW. Now i am impressed. the really now how to build optics. We had a great day there and really some incrediable talent in building Leica lenses from the grinding and polishing of the glass to assembly in to some extreme complex incasements of metal it really is a sight to see the displays of lenses cut in half. We saw many Frankenfinders be made right in front of us and watched the assembly of the M8 in a special section of the factory that was just built for the M8. If you folks saw the last lady in final insection before she put a M8 in a bag beofre putting it in the next window which was the shipping room. She must have wiped down the M8 ten times before releaseing it out of her hands. Okay have to give you the WOW of the day about 400 60mm IR filters being boxed in the little Leica boxes getting ready for shiping. Yes I have one from the Academy on a borrowed Nocti. SWEET but have to give it back, damn. So look forward to them there coming , yes big round of applause and relief. i am going to post in sections before i lose this. Like they say the check is in the mail but they really are. LOL

Guest guy_mancuso

BTW for all our German members , I LOVE YOUR COUNTRY and the PEOPLE are even better. They are so very friendly and helpful, and I need a lot of hand holding . LOL

thought my English was bad , my German really is the pits

Guest guy_mancuso

Woody and Roger and a Maserati to boot , now that is a car. Hope the images look good , can't tell on the laptop

Guy,

Your shots look great, even on my crappy PC monitor here at work. Germany is a wonderful place, and I'm glad you're having a good time. Keep the updates coming.

Larry

Interesting. I find it ironic that some of the glass sorts invented at the Leitz glass laboratory are now made by Schott, which I understand is owned by Zeiss. I wonder if there is some politics going on in the pricing, or if there is a contract to prevent that.

Btw, Jaap, welcome to the 2000+ post club :) I took the liberty to look through the member list today (yes, 13700+), and found out that there are vastly more people with 0 posts than all others combined, and probably more 0-50 posters than all more-frequent-posters combined. Around 100 it narrows down considerably, there is a real narrowing to 500+, and above 1000 posts it breaks down as follows:

1000+: 32

2000+: 9

3000+: 3

4000+: 0

5000+: 2, stuny, one of the moderators, and guess who: Guy! :)

Obviously, we are both in the 2000+ group. Mark Norton is in the 3000+ group. I forget who else. One person I knew, the other not. Perhaps someone on the German side.

Btw, there is a real dominance of German members. Probably more than half of all members.

The stats would make a lot more sense if members who have never posted would get dropped after some arbitrary period of inactivity.

Thanks Carsten : Yes, I tend to talk too much...:(

Guy, I think they are terrible pictures (:D), and you are clearly not enjoying being there. I think you should go home immediately and let me perform a selfless act and take your place in the purgatory that you are clearly suffering :D

Damn! It was worth a try wasn't it ?

Guest Bernd Banken
BTW for all our German members , I LOVE YOUR COUNTRY and the PEOPLE are even better. They are so very friendly and helpful, and I need a lot of hand holding . LOL

thought my English was bad , my German really is the pits

Guy,

please wait with your compliments until you hit the german highway for the first time...:D

Bernd

Guest licht
Guy,

Any chance you got photos at the factory in Solms? I'm so interested in seeing where our beloved M8's were born. Thank you for the updates!

Cheers

Nick

I am not Guy, but I have some pictures for you!

The Birthplace of your beloved M8´s :)

M6TTL - Summicron-M 35/2.0 asph. - Slidefilm cross-processed