Germany /Leica academy

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Phyllis and I are apparently the lucky ones arriving in Denver only one hour late. So I have now had a full two nights sleep and am feeling pretty chipper again. Chipper enough that I can begin the awsome task of poring through almost five thousand images made in my 23 days in Europe (We were in Hungary, Austria, Czech Republic, and Poland before flying off to the Leica Porsche trip). If I did well on this trip I may actually have one hundred worth keeping LOL.

I second all the thoughts about the professional way the Leica trip was handled. Ralph Hagenaur is a monument to patience and put up with endless questions, all of which he handled very well indeed. Christian Ehrhardt is put simply a wonderful guy who made the trip totally enjoyable. He is a model of enthusiam and I for one am really glad he is our focus for the U.S. needs.

It was a miracle that no one in the group was a downer. Everyone got along really well and all of us learned from each other. Guy of course was the mentor and was willing to spend a lot of his valuable time helping the rest of us become much better photographers.

I would encourage anyone who wants to learn more, be a part of a real Leica experience, and to join like-minded shooters to consider a future leica trip.

Cheers from Colorado

Woody Spedden

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest guy_mancuso

Oops i recieved a 55mm and not the 60mm by mail. needed it anyway for my 90 cron, now need the 60mm for my Lux.

Actually wish i did not send the 90mm home, it would have been nice to have

Guy, I know how you feel with regards to the fight delays. My flights were delayed as well and got home late last night. That left me with only about 12 hours turn-around time for the Alaska trip. I am sitting at the airport now wating for that flight.

I finally got a chance to review some of the Germany photos on the flight from Munich (my computer problems seem to be resolved for now). Hopefully, I can get a few photos processed on the flight to Anchorage and post them when I find internet service. It seems that I ended up with the group photos and I apologize for not getting them posted yet.

The Leica Academy trip was awesome and I can highly recommend it to anyone. We had a great group of people. I will have fond memories of the trip for the rest of my life. I am already looking forward to the next trip.

Mark Gowin

Chattanooga airport - wish me luck with the flights today

Guest guy_mancuso

Mark have a great flight and trip to Alaska with your wife and your new WATE that you bought from David. Post when you can but enjoy yourself first. Really enjoyed the time we had , it was certainly a blast for me. Okay need my nap. LOL

I guess I was lucky too. I only got in 3 hours late at 10 PM last night. the airlines really have a knack for making you miss connections. After 15 hours of travelling yesterday, I'm glad to be home having a full night's sleep in my own bed.

The trip was a great experience for all. I tried to process images as I went along, but with about 3,000 shots, I still have about about 500 to go through. After I get a chance to look over all the images, I'll try to post the best from each day/place we went. It will be interesting to see how each photographer interperets the same locations.

Woody, Roger, Al, Mark, Guy... you'd all better get crackin'!

All the best,

David

Guy, welcome home, and thanks for the photographic diary of the trip.

As for reviews, both photographic and musical, here's the ultimate retort. It is attributed to composer Max Reger, who wrote the following to a music critic:

Dear Sir,

I am sitting in the smallest room in my house. I have your review in front of me. Soon it will be behind me.

----------

--Peter

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well i actually like this shot, hell with the critics. LOL

35 Lux, just walking by

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest guy_mancuso

3 minutes later , i hit another winner

Guy, I know how you feel with regards to the fight delays. My flights were delayed as well and got home late last night. That left me with only about 12 hours turn-around time for the Alaska trip. I am sitting at the airport now wating for that flight.

I finally got a chance to review some of the Germany photos on the flight from Munich (my computer problems seem to be resolved for now). Hopefully, I can get a few photos processed on the flight to Anchorage and post them when I find internet service. It seems that I ended up with the group photos and I apologize for not getting them posted yet.

The Leica Academy trip was awesome and I can highly recommend it to anyone. We had a great group of people. I will have fond memories of the trip for the rest of my life. I am already looking forward to the next trip.

Mark Gowin

Chattanooga airport - wish me luck with the flights today

Have a great Alaska trip and with luck the weather will be OK. Very nice today! Make sure to carry some bug dope:eek:

here is a link to the weather service:

National Weather Service, Anchorage Forecast Office

During our trip, we got to borrow a lot of great equipment, M8s, DMRs Vlux1s and an arsenal of lenses. I think that this is one of the neatest parts of the trip, sampling lenses befor you buy them and to see if they fit in with your shooting style. I myself, borrowed the 28 Cron, 75 Cron and WATE with Franken Finder. I found that the 28 replaces my favorite lense the 35 Cron as my everyday lens, the 75 was fantastic in performance and size and while the images were supurb from the WATE, it did not fit my style of shooting. I guess it provided me with too many choices, 16, 18 no 21 instead of making the lens on the camera work for the shot. I love shooting Ms because the focal length is fixed and forces me to make the best shot using the lens currently on the camera. It is a lovely lens and may work for others, but not me. In the end, this trip helped me re align my lens choices, 15 CV, 28 Cron, 35 Cron, 75 Cron. The bad part is that I do not currently own the 28 Cron and 75 Cron, so back to the salt mines to save the money for these lenses!

Here is a shot from a bike race taken with the 75 Cron

Guest guy_mancuso

out of about 600 riders in this race . Al picked off the one with the leica pants. Pretty amazing and he nailed it to boot and these guys were moving fast off a hill. Again nice shot Al

Here is a shot from Munich, surfing on one of the rivers there. Shot with the 28 Cron, zone focused with the camera about 20 inches above the water. Strangely, the next day after the Leica Akademie trip was over, no surfers were there.

Don't let this thread die. It has all my favorite things- cars, cameras and controversy. Great pictures, Guy. Really gave us a feel for the trip and what the M8 can do. What happened to all the other pictures your fellow travelers were going to post? Afraid of Imants? Come on, every great story has a villain, an antogonist- it keeps us on our toes, makes us better and want to prove him wrong, and makes the good guys look better. This looked like a wonderful trip and I hate that I missed it but feel like I was almost there thanks to Guy (and Woody).

Guest guy_mancuso

LOL i'm afraid of no one , trust me. I'm Italian from New Jersey how can i possible be afraid. ROTFLMAO .Just been busy catching up, I was hoping travel partners would post some more too