Leica M10 Reviews & Videos

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

^ And M10 has much improved rangefinder.

From personal experience, I never felt that good with the M240. Was a mistake to change from M9 to it. I went on to try the M262, which was a better match for me. Slightly lighter and less features.. guess I like the minimalistic approach more than I care to admit.

But the M10 has been the real ”ball out of the park” smash hit for me. Knowing what I know now, I should have kept the M9 until now and switched straight to M10.

The M240 generation of cameras was, for me, a complete waste of money. I’ll blame GAS on that journey and try to learn from it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

From personal experience, I never felt that good with the M240. Was a mistake to change from M9 to it. I went on to try the M262, which was a better match for me. Slightly lighter and less features.. guess I like the minimalistic approach more than I care to admit.

But the M10 has been the real ”ball out of the park” smash hit for me. Knowing what I know now, I should have kept the M9 until now and switched straight to M10.

The M240 generation of cameras was, for me, a complete waste of money. I’ll blame GAS on that journey and try to learn from it...

I would have agreed with you if only Leica had released the SL before the M240. I ditched my M9 for the M240 the day it was available (Late March 2013). The M9 was a FF sensor that renders beautifully but with very limited DR and could not take on non coupled lenses due to the lack of LV. The M240 was indeed a game changer offering Leica users a broaden application before the SL came on to offer an attractive EVF and AF capability. I had the M240 for over 4 years and happily moved onto M10 with my SL taking care of my AF needs. To me the M240 is still a great camera and can still meet the needs and aspirations of many.

• Like 1

That is almost crazy sounding to me. I left Leica because of the M9 and came back to it because of the M240. The 240 is so good to me that I almost skipped the M10 and got a second M240 for cheap, just an absolute workhorse that has put a lot of income into my hands in the 4 years I have had it.

I'm looking forward to getting my M10 on Thursday but if I am not completely captivated by it, I will return it and get a second M240.

Edited by Reciprocity

Being captivated depends on what you want from it. As a whole, I think you need to shoot with it for some time to appreciate it.

That’s when you start to appreciate the new improved haptics, experience the better high iso etc. And when you then move back to previous M’s, the improvements in VF hit you.

Fex I thought the new iso wheel would be a gimmick. Turns out I really appreciate it and pretty much have stopped using auto iso.

Being captivated depends on what you want from it. As a whole, I think you need to shoot with it for some time to appreciate it.

That’s when you start to appreciate the new improved haptics, experience the better high iso etc. And when you then move back to previous M’s, the improvements in VF hit you.

Fex I thought the new iso wheel would be a gimmick. Turns out I really appreciate it and pretty much have stopped using auto iso.

I can agree with your opinion that M10 is indeed an improvement over the M240 in the way it renders the files and the way it handles. However the M240 is still a very relavent today despite the existence of the M10. It should be a matter of how much cash are you willling to part for one to replace a M240 with an M10. As for me, no preorder wait, 10% discount for a M10 plus a 60% recouped from selling my 4 yr old M240 made me accept the deal.

• 1 month later...

I finally had a chance to play with an M10 recently and it certainly struck a chord in making up for a lot of things I disliked about the 240. It was like the true successor to the M9 for me (which, like jlindstrom above, I came to feel that should have kept instead of upgrading to its successor).

I cannot see the framelines evenly for anything wider than 50mm in the M10's viewfinder which a shame, but no surprise. 50 is my comfort zone, always has been, but I've been longing to break away and go wider for some time and that limitation as a glasses wearer makes it difficult to justify the investment in another M, and I sense that deep down on some level I am still wary of returning to a rangefinder after the customer service experience I endured two years ago with Leica. The crazy waiting lists also make it easier to resist for the time being. Still, I cannot deny my love for the feel of the damn thing in my hand.

I've a growing interest in the Q which might scratch that wide angle itch and gradually bring me back into the world of digital Leicas (and it might be tempting to partner that someday with a used M10 or an inevitable M10-Monochrom and just leave my 50mm summicron permanently attached to that).  

Edited by db24fps

Hey guys, Loving the M10. After a wedding season of using it alongside the Q, I wrote a little review and shared some pics. Feel free to check it out :-)

https://www.adamrileyphotography.com/for-photographers/leica-m10-weddings/

Cheers!

Adam

Wonderful work, Adam. Do you find the m10 and Q sensors go well together? 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hamish at 35mmc asked me to write up my observations from when I was debating between an M10 and an α9. Bit tongue in check, but hopefully interesting for anyone considering them:

https://www.35mmc.com/26/05/2018/chose-leica-m10-sony-a9/ 

Nice, but you forgot to mention the Leica glow. See your post #1989 here: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/268528-m10-the-image-thread/page-100

​or the ability of the M10 to excel where other cameras fail. See your post #1931 here: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/268528-m10-the-image-thread/page-97