LEICA M10 WIFI - Backups?

kaiserphoenix

If it is similar to the SL Wifi - a good guess I suppose - it allows remote control and a limited download of pictures: it is possible to download jpg's into a Leica (SL) Album. select one picture (or more) and share that with email etc. I have not been able to transfer DNG's.

Editing: share to Adobe Picture Express on my Iphone.

In the SL instruction booklet it says: "The first WLAN setting to be made is whether you wish to connect to the camera with a smartphone directly - Remote Control by App, or through a browser - Web Server, or if you want to switch of any WLAN connection alltogether - Off. The connections allow remote controlled shooting as well as viewing the recordings and also saving them to the smartphone. In the case of a connection through a browser, you can even save in DNG format"

The M10 instructions (Download and find page 196) are less specific about the possibilities with a connection.

In short: I uses the Sd-card for downloads. Also possible with an Ipad.

If it is similar to the SL Wifi - a good guess I suppose - it allows remote control and a limited download of pictures: it is possible to download jpg's into a Leica (SL) Album. select one picture (or more) and share that with email etc. I have not been able to transfer DNG's. ... 

The Leica M app feature list for iOS includes the ability to transfer both JPEG and DNG files, as different from the Leica SL app. A Compatibility note in the same listing indicates that this feature requires the iOS device be running iOS 10.2 or later versions of the operating system. 

I'm hoping that the Leica SL app (and Leica SL firmware) is updated to allow the same functionality for the SL soon. :) In the meanwhile, I use the Apple Lightning to SD Card Adapter to transfer raw files from both my SL and my M-D to the iPad or iPhone.

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

The Leica M app feature list for iOS includes the ability to transfer both JPEG and DNG files, as different from the Leica SL app. A Compatibility note in the same listing indicates that this feature requires the iOS device be running iOS 10.2 or later versions of the operating system. 

I'm hoping that the Leica SL app (and Leica SL firmware) is updated to allow the same functionality for the SL soon. :) In the meanwhile, I use the Apple Lightning to SD Card Adapter to transfer raw files from both my SL and my M-D to the iPad or iPhone.

I use the same adapter with all my cameras, data transfer is a lot faster than Wifi. I also use a Western Digital drive with an SD card reader as an additional backup while traveling.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use the same adapter with all my cameras, data transfer is a lot faster than Wifi. I also use a Western Digital drive with an SD card reader as an additional backup while traveling.

I'm sure it is.

WiFi is more convenient, however. It depends on what I'm doing as to which I'd use. (Obviously, only the card reader is useful with the M-D and the Leica SL app only does JPEGs at this time.) It would be nice to have the option with the SL just as is now available with the M10. 

How are you currently using an SD card reader and western digital drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use this Apple SD card reader to transfer images to my phone: https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-Card-Camera-Reader/dp/B0198HIF7K/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1485208321&sr=1-3&keywords=iphone+sd+card+reader

And this drive with built in SD card slot as a secondary backup: https://www.amazon.com/Passport-Wireless-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B00M9B3XZM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1485208427&sr=1-2&keywords=western+digital+external+hard+drive+sd+card

• Like 1