How many M9 Shooters will upgrade to the M10?

jplomley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm honestly on the fence myself, owning both an M9 and MM1 and perfectly satisfied with the performance of both with my 28 Cron Asph, 50 Lux Asph, and 90 AA.  Not to mention I love the CCD rendering.  The cameras are simply top-drawer workhorses even in 2017.  But I can certainly understand the appeal of the M10 and would love to see some M9 vs M10 comparisons at comparable ISOs up to 640.  What I would have liked to see Leica introduce is the following:

M10T (traditional rangefinder OVF)

M10E (built in EVF ala SL)

M10T Monochrom

M10E Monochrom

I fail to see why this would not have been possible and Leica could have covered all target markets.  I really don't understand why those who cherish the Monochrom sensor have to wait years for its release following the colour sensor.  Come on Leica, launch them both at the same time so we have choices!  Rant over :-)

• Like 3

Finally traded my M9 for the M10, low iso issues finally got to me. The SL spoiled me, I can actually take photos whenever I want rather than when the sun is up. Too many missed shots walking through the forest or in the evening. I will miss the M9, I'm not sure anything can replace CCD but getting the shot is more important than the subjective differences. I'm keeping my MM1, however. 

Edited by 349A
  • Like 3

I’m with Mr.Q. I’m getting an M10 without giving up the M9 I've had since 2009 because I'm used to the CCD sensor and I like what it does for an image.

If the M10 works as advertised, I think Leica’s onto a winner. Improved electronics, better screen, stronger low light capability and all the other refinements are what draws me.

• Like 2

IMO the speed difference alone is worth the upgrade. A camera should never stop shooting, ever. 

IQ differences are slight, its not really worth comparing...although IMO the M10 is improved. This is obviously a personal matter.

Add an improved rangefinder, significant ISO performance gains, more DR, a better LCD, the addition of LV among many other improvements and its a no brainer upgrade from the M9.

One other feature that at first made no sense to me...the ISO dial.

Prior to receiving mine, I thought this was a useless feature...boy was I wrong. Until you actually use it, you cant appreciate how useful this addition is.

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does it count if you own other digital Leicas between the M9 and M10?  I have the M10 on order with unrealistic hopes of seeing it before March and realistic hopes of seeing it by October.  In the mean time, I found a New-Old Stock M-E for a great price and hope to see that one within a week or so.

Eric

• Like 1

For the past few years i have used my M8 and M9-P daily for as long as the light would allow. I would use my MM1 day or night, but if I needed color and a bit more ISO range, i would use a Fuji X body (currently the Fuji Xpro2). CCD is my first love, but to have the M10 will, I hope, allow me to use my rangefinders all the time, instead of switching between two systems. The Fuji Xpro2 is an amazing camera, and it has served me well. I just prefer the user experience of the rangefinder. I would like to wait for the M-10P, but i will probably be an early adopter this time. :)

One other feature that at first made no sense to me...the ISO dial.

Prior to receiving mine, I thought this was a useless feature...boy was I wrong. Until you actually use it, you cant appreciate how useful this addition is.

I've been saying since the M8 was still the only digital M available that I wish there was a separate ISO dial because I was always jumping into the menu to adjust the ISO when I'm photographing in difficult light.

I'm not saying I'm fishing for the right ISO, I mean in situations like a concert or festival where you could be standing in bare darkness one minute to basking in giant daylight spotlights the next.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Edited by Lax Jought

Finally traded my M9 for the M10, low iso issues finally got to me. The SL spoiled me, I can actually take photos whenever I want rather than when the sun is up. Too many missed shots walking through the forest or in the evening. I will miss the M9, I'm not sure anything can replace CCD but getting the shot is more important than the subjective differences. I'm keeping my MM1, however. 

No problems shooting my M9 in low light with excellent results. Shooting with very high Iso is over rated

M10 is major tip of the hat to M9 :)

I would like to own one. However, the brass is just starting to show:

32273504471_ab6de22675_z.jpg

DSC09784 by unoh7, on Flickr

M10 will never look like this. It won't weigh as little. I don't like that big screen in back and dial on the side where I can smash them.

ISO is tempting but the M9 will go into any light with CV 35/1.2 or a 50 superspeed. Your DOF is more limited but it works. No denying that is big advantage to M10, as is size, finder, mag, shutter, and possibly lens profiles too.

But the M9 delivers. So clean at base ISO. Teaches you to shoot single shots. It's plenty fast for me, even after 250K shots. My second body in thin-filter A7, so I know the difference. I hate editing anyway, so less shots is better.

I'm going to upgrade my sony before the M9, because the r2 with some new mod types actually will give me alot more options when there is something extra I need which M9 doesn't. It will do ISO 6400 also, 42mp, Autofocus M well, 4K video, silent shutter, IBIS, shoot any mount, all for about 3200 with the mod and techart AF adapter.

I will still shoot more with the M9. :)

• Like 6

I still stay with my M9P and my MM1; no need for top ISO set up so the 640 ISO from M9 (sensor replaced) are more than enough (working at-2 stops it's like a 2500 ISO).

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm keeping my M9, but buying an M10, as well. It's a beautiful camera and the live view will allow me to focus my shifting sonnars much more accurately. I also appreciate the lower base ISO, and the obvious advantages of the added 3-4 stops on the other end.  It ticks all the boxes for me. 

For stills photography, the M10 sounds like the Leica I've wanted for a long time - improved ISO, a standalone ISO dial, quiet shutter, LiveView helps too in some situations.

But I won't be buying one. As much as I'd love it, I can't justify the AUD$9700 price tag. I've been doing ok with the M9-P and M8.2 as a backup. But, I may jump on a used M240 if prices go down enough. I have used one quite extensively and it's not a bad camera. I'm happy to wait for the M10 for later.

• Like 1