Nocti 50 f0.95 or M Apo 50 f2 with SL 601?

phongph

Try a Summicron (M or R) 50; quite inexpensive, sharp but not "clinically sharp".

I actually prefer 60 or 70 mm. So the Macro R 60 is very useful, or a R 35-70 Macro zoom. (or the Contax 3.4/35-70, a close relative to the R lens (Kyocera)). This R zoom is actually aspherical, though not visible in the name/title.

Completely different, but also interesting is the Canon 1.8/50 STM with the Novoflex AF EOS adapter.

A small AF lens, quite a nice alternative from time to time.   ;)  (But the Summicron is optically better.)

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 2

I have a few 50mm's (50SL,50SM,50:0.95) but I'm also having fun with my 58mm noct nikkor ais which is quite beautiful on the SL. I'm a bit of a Leica hoare but this camera is wonderful with the noct better than on my 800e which never seemed to quite focus correctly now Nikon are bringing out bodies that you can correct the sensors position! A bit of a joke but I'm pleased I kept this wonderful piece of glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All!

I have SL 601, 24-90/ f2.8-4.0 and M Apo 50 f2. I intend to trade in M Apo 50 f2 for Nocti 50 f0.95 for most portrait and some landscape since I feel M Apo 50 too sharp for portrait. Please advice your idea!

Have a nice day!

Too sharp? There are quite simple ways to deal with that in post-processing, if the problem is portraits only.. But of course, if you don't need the sharpness, it is an expensive lens to keep.

You can add unlimited softness in processing or with filters but you cannot add sharpness beyond a certain point if it isn't there in the first place. 

Below f2 is useless for close portraits anyway at 50mm as either eyes/noses/ears will be out of focus. 

Anyway the 24-90 is perfect for portraits .... or if you want a dedicated fast portrait lens the 80/1.4 R is as good as the 75/1.4 M and a lot cheaper second hand .... and easier to handle. 

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2

I agree. The zoom is made to be suitable for portraits. It's the reason that it goes to 90mm rather than just 70mm, at the expense of weight / bulk.

I would not use 50mm for portraits in the first instance. Nor would I let go Leica's finest performing lens.

• Like 2

I own the zoom, 50/2 APO and 50/0.95. If I had to let one go it would be the APO since size doesn't matter to me. The 0.95 rendering is just too unique and very useful for portraits at a distance, close-up can be tricky at 0.95 tough. I also like R 80/1.4 for it's soft rendering in case that's desired (or needed)... ;-)

• Thanks 1

The 75-M and 80-R Luxes share a duality in that they have the Leica glow wide open, but turns very sharp stopped down a few stops (at f4-5.6). Both are lovley lenses for portraits. And I would, if possible, keep the 50-APO...

• Like 3

I have had the Nocti 0.95, now own the Nocti 1.0 and the 50 APO. Since getting the APO I sold the 50/!1,4 ASPH AND ALSO the Nocti 0.95.

For me rangefinder is about compact and simplicity. Also I found shallow DOF a nice "effect" but nothing one uses all the time. And I found even if lenses are calibrated well its not so easy to focus/hit focus without good AF (at least as soon as it is not a still subject).

For all those reasons the 50 APO is my favorite M lens. If I couldn't affort it the 50 Summicron (without APO) would be my choice.

The Noctilux 1.0 I use on the SL and it renders special/gentle.

But after all it is a lot a matter of taste, what you shoot and what is important for your use.

• Like 1

I misread your first post and realize that you use the SL.

I believe the size of the Nocti works very well with the SL and focusing the Nocti with the SL works quite good too, so I think with the SL the Nocti might be the "better fitting lens".

I certainly like the Nocti 1.0 on the SL.

• Thanks 1

• As others have said, I'd try your zoom for portraits and see if you can get the results you are looking to achieve.  If you are shooting in a controlled scenario, size of the zoom should not matter too much.  If you are looking to go out on the street, the zoom is still a viable option; plus you get AF.  I use the 90APO on the SL for shots requiring this focal length.  Ergonomically, the SL + 90APO feels fine in my hands and provides for a nice street portrait setup for me.
  • I have the 50 f/1 and had the 50APO; used them both on the SL.   I kept the 50 f/1 and sold the 50APO.  The 50 f/1 has a signature that I will not  part with, especially on film.  It also allows me to do things creatively that I couldn't produce with the 50APO  (mostly due to the lens' signature).   So, sharpness isn't everything; although the 50 f/1 certainly produces very sharp images, as does he 0.95.  Ergonomically, the Nocti fits the SL like it was designed for the camera.  Many have purchased the SL just to use it with their Nocti.  This was 50% of why I traded from the M-P240 to the SL; the other 50% was because my eyes just can't see as good as they used to with an RF at .68 magnification.  The 50 f/1 and the SL together provide for a solid and balanced feel; the 50APO felt like nothing was attacked to camera.  
  • I wouldn't rule out the Nocti for portraits. Again, it's a very creative lens and you can achieve some very creative portrait photos with it.  Others also swear by the 50lux and 75lux for portraits.   

If it were my money, I'd look at the Nocti or 50Lux to make your SL a more portable carry and great all around, single lens, shooting kit.  

Edited by MT0227
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I love my Noctilux 0.95 on the SL..........fantastic for street photography, landscape and Portraits 

I bought the SL to go with the Noctilux not the other way around :)

• Like 2

If you use an M lens on the SL, do you need to open the aperture first to focus and then close it again? Or not?

If focusing is critical I use the joystick button to magnify and then refocus (if needed). No need to open up to get more light, the EVF adjusts itself. I find that I use the magnify button more and more seldom, the EVF is really that good.

//Johan

• Like 1