M10 - the Image Thread

TheGodParticle/Hari

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jones Evangelical Center, part of the praise team 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

M10 and Summarit 35/2.4

• Like 11

M10 + 35mm FLE 

• Like 6

Hamlet, NC M10 M

• Like 9

Reverend Paul Murphy, Trinity AME Zion Church, West Southern Pines NC

M10M, 90/4 Elmar C 

• Like 8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M10 and CV35/1.7

• Like 17

Juneteenth is our Independence Day / M10M, ZM 21 2.8

• Like 7

If you are lost in the pinewoods of the Sandhills, the Carolina Rangers will find you / M10M, ZM 21 2.8

• Like 5

On 8/9/2021 at 4:52 PM, rhl-ferndale said:

Reverend Paul Murphy, Trinity AME Zion Church, West Southern Pines NC

M10M, 90/4 Elmar C 

Nice photographs, both.  I had to google both towns and realized Route 1 connects them.  That made me curious because I know RTO 1 also passes through Washington.  Well out looks like it runs from the Southern tip of Florida to the Northern tip of Maine and it pre-dates the Interstate system.

Must go though some wonderful areas and obviously some very small town with their own charm as your pictures show 🙂

Thank you, Vikas.

I have now lived close to US1 and US99 (the palimpsest for I-5 on the West Coast), and have more than once considered a photo-drive project along both highways, as they essentially hold the US in their parenthesis and, unlike their I95/I5 replacements (so featureless and generic as to be cultureless and placeless), go right through towns, cities, countryside. Many of these towns are also bisected by the old passenger/freight rail lines, and were once probably north-south trade paths....

I like the idea of following these wavery lines running from the top to the bottom of the east and west of the country, photographing residents,  buildings, graves, farms, etc. A variation on Frank’s “Americans” project, and the work done by Lange and Lee and Evans and others in the 1930s-40s.

Your comment has re-lit a small flame—thank you. Every so often I get an itch for a large-scale project, and this could be a good one. 

In the “Meditations on Juneteenth in the Carolina Sandhills” project, from which these photographs come, I spent much of my time with subjects living near US1 on a stretch about 90 miles long. I’ll be gradually posting more images I made with the M10M; all of those I finished before the June 15 grant report deadline have been posted on my Instagram (see signature), and I have published, and continue to update, a rather longer account here on Rangefinder Forum.

9 hours ago, rhl-ferndale said:

Thank you, Vikas.

I have now lived close to US1 and US99 (the palimpsest for I-5 on the West Coast), and have more than once considered a photo-drive project along both highways, as they essentially hold the US in their parenthesis and, unlike their I95/I5 replacements (so featureless and generic as to be cultureless and placeless), go right through towns, cities, countryside. Many of these towns are also bisected by the old passenger/freight rail lines, and were once probably north-south trade paths....

I like the idea of following these wavery lines running from the top to the bottom of the east and west of the country, photographing residents,  buildings, graves, farms, etc. A variation on Frank’s “Americans” project, and the work done by Lange and Lee and Evans and others in the 1930s-40s.

Your comment has re-lit a small flame—thank you. Every so often I get an itch for a large-scale project, and this could be a good one. 

In the “Meditations on Juneteenth in the Carolina Sandhills” project, from which these photographs come, I spent much of my time with subjects living near US1 on a stretch about 90 miles long. I’ll be gradually posting more images I made with the M10M; all of those I finished before the June 15 grant report deadline have been posted on my Instagram (see signature), and I have published, and continue to update, a rather longer account here on Rangefinder Forum.

That would be a fascinating project. It is much the same here in the UK - the new roads are mostly featureless and dull, for very good reasons. They get you from A to B a lot faster than the old routes and have freed many small towns from gridlock and fumes, but they are not very interesting. Some places have prospered once the traffic has gone, others have withered because they made their fortunes on passing trade.

Thanks for posting your very evocative photos.

John

• Like 1

Olympic sculpture in Nihombashi, Tokyo. Quite striking at night.

M10 + 21mm f2.8 Zeiss Biogon-ZM.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, rhl-ferndale said:

Back in 1980 when I had just finished my degree in Wash U in St Louis and got a job in Milwaukee, my wife and I made three trips between the two cities (first for a job interview and then two to carry our things over in out beat up ‘72 Buick station wagon.  After the first leg to Milwaukee we decided to avoid interstates.  In the days before GPS, my wife navigated with a road atlas while I drove and we had some of the best times in our lives.  Small towns, small cafes, friendly people, impulse stops at small stores and the occasional garage sales.  My wife and I grew up in Singapore and India respectively so it wall new to us.  Those country drives, which we still love and the invariably friendly people we met gave us a deep appreciation of the middle of America that people on the coasts tend to sneer at.

I long to do long road journeys again but we’re getting older and times seem to have changed.

Edited by vikasmg
  • Like 1

M10 with 50mm Summilux ASPH

• Like 13

M10 with 50mm Summilux ASPH

• Like 8

23 hours ago, rhl-ferndale said:

Thank you, Vikas.

Very nice work presented. I very much appreciate the insight, and I especially like the images/story linked. We are faced with an incredible opportunity for significant change in this country. There is much work to be done to say the least. Thank you for sharing this project. 

• Like 2

hello ,

august 2021 _ rodez _ soulages museum , inside-outside ....

leica m10-p"reporter" + summicron-m35asph

• Like 11

Guest Nowhereman

M10 | DR Summicron 50 | ISO 400 |f/2.8 | i/250 sec | Chiang Mai