M10 - the Image Thread

TheGodParticle/Hari

Some side by side comparisons of the M240 v M10 for you with DNG as well. All are full-res JPG and you can download the DNG from the link next to the image description if you want to play with highlight recovery and suchlike. All on auto white balance. Exif is in the pics (though no approximated aperture on the M10 which is rather odd).

Sorry - no high ISO but you know the M10 will be better anyway.

No prizes needed for technical and compositional excellence as my talent is obvious to all :).

M-240 with 24 Summilux at f/5.6 (DNG is here)

M10 same lens & aperture (DNG is here)

M240 24 Summilux at f/1.4 (DNG is here)

M10 Same lens and aperture (DNG is here)

Edited by pop
Oversized images removed
  • Like 11

I hate to spoil the party ...... BUT PLEASE PLEASE  do not post links to full or high res images on the forum

After a few minutes waiting for them to load I just get fed up and move on ..... and they are there every time I come back with the same tedious delays .....

• Like 9

I thought the forum automatically resized. I'll delete the jpegs and people can just download and play with the DNGs.

Edit: can't seem to edit that post any more. Perhaps a moderator could assist.

Edited by Tobers
  • Like 1

I looked at both DNG and thought there was much less purple fringing on the M10  (beard, his right ear, left on photo) and I thought the colour was a little better, not much... certainly not enough on those images to make any definitive comment, so I will wait for those who have more experience with detail evaluation. Not a massive difference though. I saw much bigger differences in the SL. (That just gets to be a better and better camera in my view).

The more I look at the M10, the nicer it looks. Video isn't an issue for me... so the M10 would be a good fit, but I'm not remotely concerned about the thinner body (perhaps because I have never owned a Leica film M, so body size isn't an unconsciously learned 'thing' for me (I suspect most wonders complaining about M8/9240 body width are previous or existing film owners).

I will still wait for the M10-P as I like my M240P too much to be able to justify the expense of changing right now... I may not even change then, I'll just keep my powder dry for a while.

Had it been an EVF or hybrid viewfinder, I would have bought one immediately as I have said before... so if an M EVF or an ML or QL or whatever, appears in the next few months, maybe Leica will get my money then. 

But it looks like a great camera and it will please a LOT of Leica owners who have had a M8/9 or returned to film as they thought the M digitals were too bloated (not that I agree).

Congratulations to Leica though. It seems that the Q, the SL and now the newest M have all hit the spot for the majority of potential customers - which is no mean feat given the customer base they have!!! :D

Edited by Bill Livingston
  • Like 7

Some more from today.  And yes, the woman's hair color and jacket are exactly as they were in real life -- this doesn't record colors hot, the way the M240 seemed to at first.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

Finally from this afternoon...

I should also have pointed out: all shot at ISO 100 with the 50mm APO.

• Like 12

Seems we agree... on the white shirt and beard on the left hand side..  :)

Although I can see the differences in the second shot, not sure what you are pointing to.... although there is certainly a small colour difference in the cobblestones... Leica Mayfair obviously. I park on those cobbles at lot! :D

Thanks for that analysis. I'd say that, in "normal" use with low ISOs there is not much difference, though there are differences. I think as one goes up the ISO scale the M10 will draw further ahead as one would expect. If you are just shooting at lowish ISOs then image quality alone probably wouldn't be sufficient to justify a switch.

In my case I really like the ISO dial, and wifi will be very handy for dragging pics down without removing a tripod plate and the base plate. Remote control will be very useful to me as well. Handling the M10 the weight difference seems negligible, but the thinness is noticeable.

I also found the viewfinder nicer but I'm not sure why. It seemed easier to get focus and I thought the rangefinder patch could be larger than the 240, but comparing side by side it seems to be the same.

So, if you're going to change up, don't expect revolutionary image quality improvements unless you are up at higher ISOs. The combination of higher ISO plus new controls is the key for me.

• Like 2

M10 has less exposure that is all. This screenshot is overlapped.

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 4