M10 - the Image Thread

TheGodParticle/Hari

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for sharing images all. The colours seem more reminiscent of the saturated M9 look but..

Some look a bit 'M240 ish' with the way orange looks?

Like the fenceline markers here

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/268528-m10-the-image-thread/?p=3206376

and the foreground jacket details here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/268528-m10-the-image-thread/?p=3207261

Maybe just me. My eyes still burn from some of the M240 colours.

I don't think I'll ever like Orange quite as much.

In the link below there are three pairs of images from yesterday comparing M10 and SL DNGs files for difference in color. It’s been a couple of dark and wet winter days with nothing to shoot here, no colors, no flowers. I had to go to a cemetery for that. 

Same ISO and shutter speed for each pair (except M10 file No. 7 at 1/180 and SL file No. 8 at 1/200). These are exported from DNGs using the Adobe Standard profile with only LR default settings applied and exposure adjusted slightly to match. One can tell by the file names which are which. The first image of each pair is the M10 file with WB as shot. The second one is the M10 file with WB adjusted to match the SL look. In the third pair WB was left as shot in LR. From what I can tell so far, the colors are pretty much the same with the difference in appearance being just color balance that can be adjusted to one’s liking in post. Hopefully, more examples to follow from today.

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-FdBQFg/

Edited by Chaemono

Ok, a few more. Same ISO and shutter speed for each pair (except M10 file No. 11 at 1/90 and SL file No. 12 at 1/125). These are exported from DNGs using the Adobe Standard profile with only LR default settings applied and exposure adjusted slightly to match. One can tell by the file names which are which. All with WB set in LR to „as shot“ except No. 13 and No. 15 (it says so in the file name). I prefer the appearance of the cobblestones in the M10 picture No. 9 and the M10 look in No. 17 with WB as shot. But, again, it’s just a color balance thing that can be adjusted in post. After looking at a number of these over the last couple of days, I cannot help thinking that the SL sensor is a bit sharper.

Ok, a few more. Same ISO and shutter speed for each pair (except M10 file No. 11 at 1/90 and SL file No. 12 at 1/125). These are exported from DNGs using the Adobe Standard profile with only LR default settings applied and exposure adjusted slightly to match. One can tell by the file names which are which. All with WB set in LR to „as shot“ except No. 13 and No. 15 (it says so in the file name). I prefer the appearance of the cobblestones in the M10 picture No. 9 and the M10 look in No. 17 with WB as shot. But, again, it’s just a color balance thing that can be adjusted in post. After looking at a number of these over the last couple of days, I cannot help thinking that the SL sensor is a bit sharper.

Very interesting!

I use the sl with only M lenses, and I wonder if it's interesting to switch to M10 only for IQ...

Which one do you prefer to focus (accuracy,...)?

If I go with the M10, I'm afraid to send all my lenses to Wetzlar for calibration :/

Very interesting!

I use the sl with only M lenses, and I wonder if it's interesting to switch to M10 only for IQ...

If I go with the M10, I'm afraid to send all my lenses to Wetzlar for calibration :/

Mike, I wouldn’t switch to the M10 from the SL for IQ. I do have to take back my comment, though, that the SL sensor may be a bit sharper. I just had a couple of bad days focusing with the rangefinder, I think. The M10 sensor is as sharp as the SL sensor in my opinion. I really like the appearance of the images using the Adobe Standard profile and WB as shot in LR without any adjustments. It looks like the M10 emphasizes the Magenta a bit and the SL more the Orange. But I find the WB and the M10 colors to be quite accurate. Of course, one can change color balance to one’s liking in post.

As far as focusing is concerned, in the last two days I struggled a bit to focus quickly and accurately the M10 whereas the SL was a breeze to focus in comparison. But today I went out with just with the M10 for a walk and I really enjoyed the rangefinder experience. Not much to shoot but in the link below starting from picture No. 19 are some samples to give an idea of the colors and sharpness. All exported from DNGs out of LR with only LR default adjustments applied and exposure tweaked slightly in a couple of them.

Edited by Chaemono

Very interesting!

M lenses on the M10 look slightly better than on the SL...but probably not enough of a difference to upgrade for this reason alone.

I sold my SL because the SL lenses were just too big and I only used M lenses...for me the quality difference in addition to the much smaller body of the M10 made it worthwhile.

But if you like the EVF and versatility of the SL...its not much of an upgrade. Then you also have to consider the plummeting used prices of the SL body...is it worth it?

I sold my SL because the SL lenses were just too big and I only used M lenses...for me the quality difference in addition to the much smaller body of the M10 made it worthwhile.

Thanks digitalfx  

Good to know. Yes the SL lenses are quite big. I do love the small size of Leica Ms and a couple of lenses.

Edited by skanga