Resolution/Gigapixel

jmahto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

<<If it is not the right forum then please move it to correct forum.>>

I am impressed with the Gigapixel picture of Trump inauguration (let's keep politics out of the way)... Zoom into any part any look at the individual faces clearly.

Wonder what does it take to get similar results using a Leica (which cam, which lens, what technique).

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2017/01/politics/trump-inauguration-gigapixel/

• Like 1

Stitching will produce very high resolution files, I have done it with 5x16mp files, and also 3x24mp, the increase in detail over a straight 24mp photo is there, visible on screen at high magnification, but not really on even an A2 print. And there are plenty of examples around of even more ambitious stitching.

I came to the conclusion that for my use, max size about A2 there was little point in going for higher res cameras :-)

Gerry

... Zoom into any part any look at the individual faces clearly.

Most look overjoyed.

Interesting image and gives a good overview of the event.  The stitching  is rough and ready probably because the camera was either hand-held or spun around on a tripod head without being set up properly for stitching first  There's a perfect double face just behind Jimmy Carter which is fun, but given the complexity of the scene the image would need a lot of work to clean it up anyway. 

Most look overjoyed.

Interesting image and gives a good overview of the event.  The stitching  is rough and ready probably because the camera was either hand-held or spun around on a tripod head without being set up properly for stitching first  There's a perfect double face just behind Jimmy Carter which is fun, but given the complexity of the scene the image would need a lot of work to clean it up anyway. 

chances are it was done with a Gigapan robotic tripod head.

they are pretty much a set and forget system, then hope it all worked properly.

I have used one a couple of times - once to do a high resolution file of Perth - it was supposed to be printed in the corridor - took 15 minutes to shoot, 90 minutes to stitch on a fairly quick iMac, and when finished had enough resolution to print 10mx3m at 250dpi (thats roughly 30ft by 10ft)

I used a Canon 100-400 @400mm +1.4x converter on a Canon 1DX (18MP)

My picture at a football game was not successful, too many people moving, and the finished file was too big to edit to meet the deadlines i had been set (I told the boss this as i got the job brief, but had to give it a go anyway) 

There were a couple of other pictures i did with it as well - none were ever used, or even displayed outside of our department.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This person could not sit still.

Jan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...