SL as a primary or backup camera

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Question

How many of you guys use your SL as your primary camera or as a back up to "what".

Personally I bought mine as a backup to my Hasselblad 503CW and Leica S (not that I take all three systems out at once) but I love the fact that the SL is compact (i'm only using M lenses) and I can just sling it around my neck and shoulder and it is there whenever I want go grab a quick snap. The rest of the time I am shooting either film and the S007 on a tripod. My recent trip to Scotland was prefect with the SL and S combo.

Neil

I use the SL and M240 as alternatives: the M for the carry everywhere, travel, social and family camera. The SL is for when I'm in my amateur's pro mode: portraits, events, performances - anything for which I've been asked to take the shots, when the extra weight and size don't matter, but reliable focus and framing do, or for when the extra reach of the 90-280 is needed.

• Like 1

I use the SL and M240 as alternatives: the M for the carry everywhere, travel, social and family camera. The SL is for when I'm in my amateur's pro mode: portraits, events, performances - anything for which I've been asked to take the shots, when the extra weight and size don't matter, but reliable focus and framing do, or for when the extra reach of the 90-280 is needed.

+1

It is replacing all of my Nikon stuff which is just about gone except for a couple of items. I can now use my S and M lens on it. Much easier to focus M on the SL. I still have a silver M240 and lusting for the M10. It slike eating peanuts, once you start, you cannot stop!!!!!

Neil, I see the S and SL as a two-body outfit, especially once I get my S adapter SL.  Sounds like that's what you did on your recent trip.  In one bag I can have everything from a medium format landscape set up to a long telephoto wildlife set up.  Still frees me up to grab just the SL for more spontaneous stuff.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I use my SL as a hammer, but it's not a good screwdriver... use with Monochrom as secondary

Ohh wow that was so so funny...........and you even spelt it correctly "Well done"

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

It is replacing all of my Nikon stuff which is just about gone except for a couple of items. I can now use my S and M lens on it. Much easier to focus M on the SL. I still have a silver M240 and lusting for the M10. It slike eating peanuts, once you start, you cannot stop!!!!!

Bill

Try drinking lots of that Germany beer while eating the peanuts and eventually if you drink enough of it you will fall asleep, wake in the morning with a mongrel headache and say never again..............unfortunately by 6pm you will be back on the peanuts with wine this time, lusting after a M10 again :) :)

Edited by Neil D
  • Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Neil, I see the S and SL as a two-body outfit, especially once I get my S adapter SL.  Sounds like that's what you did on your recent trip.  In one bag I can have everything from a medium format landscape set up to a long telephoto wildlife set up.  Still frees me up to grab just the SL for more spontaneous stuff.

Tim

I have the adapter and it works, but I really don't see the need to use it as the M lenses that I have work perfectly on the SL. The only lens I might try on the SL would be the 120mm Macro for Macro work or maybe a portrait 

• Like 1

For casual use, I prefer the SL or Monochrom M246, depending on the situation.  If I am going to be out on the street or on the beach, I usually take the SL with either the Noctilux-M 0.95 or the SL 24-90.  For evenings, the M246 is a more discrete camera, and it looks better with my tuxedo.  :)   For serious landscape work, the S007 without a doubt.

Edited by relms