hood 12466 for 35mm summilux ASPH

Kcwong

Advertisement (gone after registration)

the plastic hood is so fragile ! please let me know if anyone of you want to sell it

the len hood is more difficult to find compare to the lens

Not to dissuade you from dealing with Mark ;) but you might wish to consider the 12589 hood for Summilux 35/1.4 asph v1 which is not fragile at all and fits perfectly the Summicron 28/2 v1. Only con its dented locking ring tends to get somewhat in the way when rotating the aperture ring but the superb 12466 is not free from this issue either. The 12588 hood for Summilux 35/1.4 "aspherical" has not this problem but tends to detach itself from the lens too easily. 

12589 hood on 28/2 v1:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm fine with that and had forgotten to mention the 12589 which is my everyday hood for the Summicron 28 v1. It is indeed designed for the 35.

Oh and I completely agree about its proximity to and interference with the aperture ring on the 28,although one does get used to it quickly.

What does it do that's fantastic?

Not much besides the price. For the previous version of the 28mm Summicron (11604) it has two advantages:

It blocks the rangefinder much less than the lenses original square hood. You can see it here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/151463-leica-12589-vs-12466-replacement-hood-for-35-lux-asph-old/?p=1680755

The second advantage is not so obvious. The front element of the Summicron is not very stablie - it tends to get loose. With the square hood you constantly apply some lever force on the front element, so this aggravates the lenses issue. Since I have the round hood I never had any problem with this.  

• Like 2

I had one (493!) I sold it for $500 a couple of years ago, it felt wrong to have such a valuable hood, it never felt like some kind of superhood to me.

It didn't offer a convenient lens cap solution, I prefer using the 12589 pictured above.

I think the wobble to the v1 Summicron has more to do with the way the front group is all connected, it can be corrected by Leica or others. I found the wobble came whatever hood was used until I had the lens fixed. But for sure twisting the lens all about wouldn't help.

Super lens with any hood, this thread has reminded me to take it for a spin after a few weeks lying idle. Good luck finding the 12466 if you're still determined, seems like the sort of thing fotopia might have in stock.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...