M10- FW Requests/Bug Reports

digitalfx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

[WIFI and SLEEP]

When using the App via WiFi- The camera will go to sleep in the middle of loading images requiring a reconnection to the camera.

It would be nice if we had an option to not sleep when connected to WiFi. or better yet, simply when app is loading images.

I have my camera set to 2 minutes and each time I connected to the app and before the DNG files completed loading, it would disconnect.

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 2

To be exact - the framelines in all M cameras thus far, including the M10, are still physical slits cut into a black mask (actually two masks, that slide past one another to hide or reveal pairs of lines). Like a stencil.

They are backlit by LEDs in the M240 and later cameras, but the lines are not LEDs themselves, just slits in some material.

I can't find a decent picture of Leica's own masks (they are buried inside the RF mechanism), but they are physically just like this mask for a small fixed-lens rangefinder - physical slits and holes in metal: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/mG8qEEVYORQ/hqdefault.jpg

Actually, here's a better picture, of adjustable masks for multiple focal lengths, from the Epson/Cosina R-D1 digital rangefinder - Leica uses a similar system: https://cameraquest.com/Epson-R-D1/_r-d1/images/frameline_mask.jpg

Edited by adan
  • Like 1

Here.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Thanks JD!

Correct - that is the master mask, with all 6 of the actual framelines (for the M8: 24, 28, 35, 50, 75, 90) cut from the metal mask. There is also a second, moving mask, with the frameline slits offset variably according to the pairings of lenses. The two overlapped allow any TWO line sets to be visible at once.

Below - secondary mask (in red for clarity) overlaid on JD's main mask, as positioned for the 3 positions that Leica lenses, or the frameline selector lever, can be set to. The secondary mask shifts up/right or down/left as commanded. The default position (no lens mounted, no finger pressure on the frameline preview lever) is: 35/135 (or 24/35 on the M8), shifting up and right a notch for a 50 or 75, and shifting up and right another notch for a 28 or 90.

Leica's real second mask is a bit neater and cleaner than my "schematic" version produced at low web resolution. ;) But even so, there is not a lot of room between some slits, which is why some Leica framelines have to be slightly the wrong size - otherwise the mask cutouts in the SECOND mask would overlap and/or the "stencil" would fall apart. Very fiddly geometry.

For all Ms with moving framelines, from the M3 through the M9/MM 1, the slits are illuminated by an external third window on the camera front. The M9 Ti special edition, and the M240 and all following cameras replace the external window with an LED-illuminated light chamber behind the masks. But the lines are still backlit mechanical masks in all cases.

Edited by adan
  • Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1. When selecting "Hold" for image review, the M10 holds the image indefinitely and requires you to touch the shutter release a 2nd time before the image goes away. On the M240 the image only remained on the LCD or EVF as long as you held the shutter down. I much prefer holding the shutter button for review.

2. Electronic level, which is very helpful for wide und ultra wide angle lenses.

3. Black and white Jpegs should be able in yellow, orange, red, blue, green and IR filter mode such as in the M240,

4. ISO sensitivity number in the range finder,

5. White balancing with grey card simpler.

That's my thoughts after one day of ownership.

• Like 2

I think not. The masks are still two frame lines each. No way with firmware to cover one.

Given the current viewfinder you are correct, of course. But would it not be very good to have individual frames only? :)

I have to believe Leica has that under consideration.

• Like 1

I read somewhere in the M10 thread that the Wi Fi addition to the M10 may allow photographs to be sent directly to the Fuji Instax printer (something Leica might consider as they now sell the Sofort and instant film). I'd love to see this option provided: giving someone a quick photo as a thank you for allowing photography would be most useful (and a great ice-breaker that might lead to more photographs).

• Like 2

Given the current viewfinder you are correct, of course. But would it not be very good to have individual frames only? :)

I have to believe Leica has that under consideration.

It would double the number of masks and I think that is where the hang up is.

The entire Leica lens and viewfinder system, hardwired into the hardware ever since the M3 ("Meßsucher 3" = "Measuring finder for/with 3 lenses/frames)" can handle lenses with three slightly different mounts, that when mounted, press a small internal lever in the mount flange, which is connected to the masks and moves one as the lens is mounted. The external frame lever (when included) accesses the same mechanical linkage.

In this detail shot, you can see the little internal lever that is pressed by the lens flange as a lens is mounted (a small distance by mount type 1 - 50/75 lenses, a bit further by mount type 2 - 21/28/90 lenses, and not at all by mount type 3 - 18/24/35/135 lenses). 18/21/24 lenses don't use an internal frame, however, except for the 24 on the M8).

http://www.35mmc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/DSC9419-1-1024x683.jpg

You can't have 4 or 6 or 2 mechanical settings in any new Leica M camera, without discarding that system - and obsoleting the millions of Leica lenses already in existence (including the one you just bought last week for $3500). They've all been built to the specs of the 1954 system. As Leica found out when they first wanted to include 4 framelines (in the M4, which replaced both the M2 and M3, and had to include both 35 and 135 frames, the first lens "pairing") and then 6 framelines (M4-P and ever since, which further paired 28/90 and 50/75).

There's no room for more settings, there's no room for in-between settings. Exactly three possible framelines (or combinations of framelines) is what you get to work with. As the M3 designer envisioned in 1954.

Now, if Leica ever gets around to a hybrid finder (my guess, in the M12 or M14 or therabouts), with lines on an LCD reflected into the main finder view, in place of the perforated metal masks - then you can use the lens-mount code plus the 6-bit code, to bring up a single line for each focal length. Presumably, if a lens that is not 6-bit-coded is used (many are still around and otherwise functional), the LCD graphics could be programmed to revert to showing paired lines for those lenses.

• Like 1

[bUG FIX]

Wifi Password bug. When entering the password (Join WLAN mode), your input acts as if it is not accepting entry. The characters do not display and the cursor does not move.

NOTE: The password is actually being entered, and this step works...there is just no visual input that the password is being accepted.

(on both 1.0.1.0 and 1.0.2.0)

• Like 1

After a few days with the M10, here's my wishlist:

1. I'd like to have the choice of a large histogram display and to be able to choose whether or not it is displayed in 3-channel color. When shooting landscape I like to know if the blue channel is clipping. That was usually not displayed in the averaging in the combined channel view with the 240. Also, the large histogram was easier to grasp with a 1 second Auto Review. I need a 3 second review to interpret the tiny one in the M10.

2. Bring back the aperture estimate. This was very useful when looking at images in Bridge. If I shot something at various apertures I could figure out which was which without opening each image. Even when imperfect, it was useful.

3. In Live View, if the Visoflex is set up to Auto, the eyepiece will be proximity sensitive and automatically switch between the EVF and the LCD screen. If I've chosen the EVF as the Live View screen target (no switching), I would like the EVF proximity sensor to shut off the EVF, thus extending the somewhat limited battery life.

4. This one may be impossible: bring back the Horizon level. The grids are an imperfect workaround, they only inform if there is a truly level horizon in the shot, such as you find at the shore of a large body of water. If the physical part has been removed, of course, this one will never happen. We can hold out hope for the M10 Monochrom.

• Like 3

Currently WiFi is not an option connected to a Mac, please consider adding this functionality as a priority.

WiFi firmware is so well known I cannot imagine the Mac does not work. I am astounded. I have to believe Leica's coding is deficient.'

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

WiFi firmware is so well known I cannot imagine the Mac does not work. I am astounded. I have to believe Leica's coding is deficient.'

Let me clarify...

If I select "Create WLAN" on the camera...the mac will not connect to this network.

If I select "Join WLAN"  on the camera I can connect both to the same Router...The issue is we don't have software to support moving images from the camera to the mac.

Image Capture seems to see the camera, but the images are not visible. If I put the camera in play mode and double click one of the two (why 2?) "LEICA M" devices I get "Connection to App Failed" on the rear LCD and Wifi turns off.

[FEATURE REQUST]

Sleep Mode:

Currently when the M10 goes to sleep, it can only be wakened by depressing the shutter release.

It would be nice to wake the camera by also depressing the Menu, Play or LV buttons.

Profiles:

Can we have more than 4 profiles?

Can you allow longer Profile names? currently it is limited to 5 characters.

Since the profiles can allow different Favorite selections, I have already used up all 4 profiles. We have room on the screen for at least 2 more...lets use all the real estate.

Additional, the 5 character name restriction doesn't allow us to be descriptive in our naming...additional characters would be very helpful in describing various profiles.

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 2

I can't find a decent picture of Leica's own masks (they are buried inside the RF mechanism), but they are physically just like this mask for a small fixed-lens rangefinder - physical slits and holes in metal: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/mG8qEEVYORQ/hqdefault.jpg

Let's not forget Mark Norton's more extensive investigation... http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/66999-anatomy-of-the-leica-m8-framelines/

Or the entire inside (M8)....  http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/21079-anatomy-of-the-leica-m8/

Jeff

Jeff - roger that, and thanks. Unfortunately mark's pix don't get captured by Google search.

Anyway, we've probably beaten that horse to death. If Leica gets around to LCD (not LED) finder graphics, then we can get any one frameline we want - until then, we get the steam-punk metal framelines with their limitations.