M10- FW Requests/Bug Reports

digitalfx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use 3 batteries.  The first seems to have the worst battery life of the three. of the three . Original instructions say that after three full charges and complete battery empty battery life should increase.  Battery tech has increased many times over in the past few years . Leica does not care? 

Any m10 user have this problem?even change battery and sd card,still damage my present and previous pic

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Sure but then EVF stays on always even if you don't put your eye on it. It would be nice if it turns on/off automatically.

I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday after my first outing with the M10.   If set to EVF only, shut it off once you're no longer looking through it.  But in thinking about it today, I'm not sure it will buy us all that much, assuming your reason for asking is the hope that it would help reduce battery consumption. The question is would it really save anything given LV would still need to be enabled. My guess is that most of the drain is not from powering the display.  Presumably, LV has to remain active in either case, so auto turning the display on and off might not buy us that much. 

Edited by Tailwagger
  • Like 1

I have a feature request regarding lens detection on uncoded lenses.

I had my most frequently used lenses upgraded with factory applied 6-bit codes, I have a few less-often used lenses without 6-bit codes and can't justify the cost of upgrading to have codes applied.

I find when I switch between those lenses, I tend to forget about coding only to later discover that, for example, images taken with my 90mm 'fat' tele-elmarit have settings for my 35mm summicron v4 applied to them - also since I don't recall the model numbers I get confused which lens model corresponds to the one I have in hand.

It doesn't happen often, but rather than defaulting to the last manual selection when an uncoded lens is fitted to the camera, it would be handy to have an option to be presented with a shortlist of the owners lenses pre-selected from the long list of manual lenses available.

• Like 6

Dear Leica engineers

Please allow disabling of  noise reduction on the M10.  I am an amateur astronomer and take hours, in 5-10 minute segments, of images at night through my telescope.  Noise reduction makes it impossible to do it with this camera (I use dark frames at the end of the session in astronomical software).  Also, last night I was doing 7-15 second frames of fireworks.  My taking picture time was cut in half by the noise reduction (I could have done it later at home using dark frame subtraction software).

Edited by dspeltz
  • Like 2

Did you switch off the camera when you changed battery and card?

I never switch off as I forget to do so most of the time. I never experienced an error through this.

As a matter of fact I rarely switch the camera off at all even when I put it back into the bag over night. I never experienced any disadvantage by doing so.

Would like to be able to use the advanced metering modes without turning on the Live View screen. I thought the setting for LV Display set to LV Disabled would do that but, near as I can tell (please tell me I'm wrong) it disables the LV button and not just the screen.

Would like to be able to use the advanced metering modes without turning on the Live View screen. I thought the setting for LV Display set to LV Disabled would do that but, near as I can tell (please tell me I'm wrong) it disables the LV button and not just the screen.

The screen comes on because the advanced modes are directly from the sensor so you'd not really be saving much of anything by having the screen off and the advanced metering on.

You'd also not be able to see which areas are set for metering or any information apart from if you had the EVF.

Battery life is battery life. Running the screen is not free.

As to the details of the metering, I'd be completely fine with info in the OVF. Don't need more. After all, I'd have the rear flap up on the protector and can't see the screen anyway...

[Minor Bug Report]

In Review mode, photos only temporarily show the correct exposure compensation in the little footer scale & even then, only when using Live View.  For example, on photos where I used +/-0.7 or +/-0.3 EV exposure compensation, the M10 always displays an erroneous -3.0 EV compensation on long term review, e.g., after the camera is turned off or has gone to sleep.  The actual DNG is fine, as confirmed in the EXIF, so the problem is only when looking at the file in Review mode.  Strangely, when I use Live View, photos will usually show the correct exposure compensation upon an initial playback, but if I turn the camera off or it goes to sleep (or even if I review other shots or change settings) & then look at the file again, the footer scale defaults to -3.0 EV.  When using the RF, the situation is somewhat reversed:  a photo will occasionally show the correct exposure compensation when reviewed immediately, but always defaults to showing -3.0 EV eventually.  Photos taken with no exposure compensation always show the correct zero value when reviewed, both immediately & in the long term.

• Like 1

The EXIF info says a picture is taken with center-weighted metering regardless of which metering I choose. Mostly I use spot metering. I hoped this would be fixed with the newest firmware update, but I still have this problem. Is this the case for others too?

The EXIF info says a picture is taken with center-weighted metering regardless of which metering I choose. Mostly I use spot metering. I hoped this would be fixed with the newest firmware update, but I still have this problem. Is this the case for others too?

You can use spot metering, but you have to use live view or the EVF. There was a work around with the M240 that is not available with the M10 to use the rangefinder and sport metering. It would be nice to be able to use all types of metering with the rangefinder, but the camera would need to operate differently. Center weighting does not need the shutter to open. The other forms of metering require the shutter to open and read off the sensor.

• Like 1

Bug:

When I switch from a coded lens to my uncoded Elmar-M 50mm, it automatically sets the last manually selected lens in the metadata.  This is great, but it doesn't update the frame lines.  I have to go manually pick the lens again, negating all the steps it saved me.