M10- FW Requests/Bug Reports

digitalfx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

exactly. The original method was a perfectly implemented option that offered great value. It allowed the operator on a shot by shot basis to decide instantly if they want to review and for how long and them immediately continue shooting. I hope this is simply a bug and will be fixed soon.

The extra step now being a half press of the shutter button? I think it's better implemented now than on the 240.

The extra step now being a half press of the shutter button? I think it's better implemented now than on the 240.

Im not sure what you mean...but its a lot more than just the "extra step".

With the original implementation, you had the option to review or not to review all with the touch of the shutter, it became very intuitive. You had the option to determine exactly how long, and could instantly go back to live. All of this in a split second...now you are forced to review and the rest is awkward at best.. 

Im not sure what you mean...but its a lot more than just the "extra step".

With the original implementation, you had the option to review or not to review all with the touch of the shutter, it became very intuitive. You had the option to determine exactly how long, and could instantly go back to live. All of this in a split second...now you are forced to review and the rest is awkward at best..

Am I missing something?

Before: take the photo and keep your finger on the shutter until you had finished reviewing

Now: take the photo and press the shutter again once you've finished reviewing.

What else is there and what is 'the rest' which make it awkward?

I do not think it is a malfunction but rather a lack of function ... If I zoom in live view mode and then move the point (for example at the extreme angle) then I have no command to return the point to the exact center. Exiting from LV does not center but just, turning off and turning the camera back on. The instruction book does not indicate anything about it. If so, it does not seem very functional ...

Am I missing something?

Before: take the photo and keep your finger on the shutter until you had finished reviewing

Now: take the photo and press the shutter again once you've finished reviewing.

What else is there and what is 'the rest' which make it awkward?

Yes Rick you are.

What is awkward is that review is always on in the current FW. In the past, you only saw the review image in those rare instances that you actually wanted to review the image. You do this by continuing to hold the shutter down after exposure. It was a great option for review. I don't want to be forced to review every single image and thats what the current fw does with this option enabled.

The old "hold to review" was perfect...it was the best of both worlds, allowing you to review only occasionally. Currently the only option that works for me is "OFF"

Id rather just lose review altogether rather than being forced to review every single image...even if its just for a moment and requires my action to turn it off.

Its far better to require an action to see the image rather than turn it off...so yes the current implementation is awkward at best.

• Like 1

​I had a strange thing happen.  I was using the Visioflex and a 90 Cron when the camera locked up.  The evf was stuck displaying the image I had just taken.  Camera was unresponsive and turning it off did nothing - the evf still displayed the last image even though power was cut.  Removing the battery reset the camera. 

Separately the camera does not always recognize the attached lens correctly and I only have new current lenses all coded.  I get a "no lens mounted" error frequently when using a 50 APO Submicron.  Has not happened with any other lens. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The current firmware works reasonably well using a mix of coded and uncoded M lenses. If auto is selected and a coded lens is attached the code is used to identify the lens.  If a uncoded M lens is attached then the last manually entered code is used. If a user only has one uncoded lens and a number of coded lens this works splendidly. However, if a R lens is used with the official adapter (which is 6-bit coded) it gets more complicated...the coding on the adapter is ignored and the attached lens acts like it's uncoded...using the last entered M or R lens as the lens in use. I believe that if the firmware were to default to the last coded R lens entered, if the adapter is used, it would be a more useful default.

In short the current is:

coded lens - use lens code

uncoded lens - use last entered R or M lens code

R lens (with adapter) - use last coded R or M lens code

I'd prefer:

coded lens - use lens code

uncoded lens - use last entered M lens code

R lens (with adapter) - use last entered R lens code

Edited by CVickery
  • Like 2

I would like the ability to turn off Long Exposure Noise Reduction. Have been watching videos on YouTube about stacking exposures, including long exposures which would be one method to get around the 2 minute limit on exposure length. LENR makes this a lot less convenient.

I get that the M10 is a back to basics still camera, but I think long exposure is a core feature for stills photography.

• Like 3

However, if a R lens is used with the official adapter (which is 6-bit coded) it gets more complicated...the coding on the adapter is ignored and the attached lens acts like it's uncoded...using the last entered M or R lens as the lens in use. I believe that if the firmware were to default to the last coded R lens entered, if the adapter is used, it would be a more useful default.

I see the same behaviour at my M10 and the 6-bit-coded Novoflex adapter for R lenses. Are there any different experiences how the menue behaves if the adapter (original or novoflex) is attached?

Best

Michael 

Hello,

It's just been days with the M10 and this was the first photo I took yesterday after putting on the 50mm Summilux lens. The shot was exposed for indoors although it was sunny outside. However, the blobs of overblown highlights in the pic. doesn't look normal to me. Can this be explained or is there something faulty with the camera?

Thank you for your attention and I look forward to some sort of information regarding this condition.

I just hope it is my inexperience as a photographer.

Cheers

Fernando

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

"The shot was exposed for indoors although it was sunny outside."

You explained it yourself. You blew out the highlights and there isn't anything there except pure white. Expose for the highlights next time instead of the shadows. 

Recently received M10.

I'm planning to write up some detailed observations/requests in due course but here is one I thought might be worth debating.

This is not an M10 issue as such, just a general observation regarding usability.

When in full manual mode, it might be nice if the viewfinder very briefly (e.g. half a second) displayed the shutter speed following any change in shutter speed, before returning to the exposure guides...

I believe the ISO dial already does this.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by paulsydaus

Another one which I'm sure has already been discussed.

I'm not sure if this is possible via firmware but I do think Leica need to reverse the orientation of the power switch. The red dot should really indicate a camera that is on rather than off IMHO.

Not sure what they were thinking. If you are using the camera you are going to know straight away if it's off.

More important is knowing if the camera is on when not in use...

• Like 1

Ok continuing with my series of firmware related improvements, my most minor one so far:

Add a copyright symbol (ASCII 184) to the keyboard of available special characters when adding copyright data in camera...

Pretty ironic omission!?

Edited by paulsydaus

Ok, personally this one is a real stretch and not something I personally need but just throwing it out there...

Would be cool if the GPS in the Visoflex could automatically update the camera's date, time and time zone. I have no idea if it does this but I'm assuming it doesn't...

Aperture estimation.

I know this has been raised already. I would like to add my voice to the aperture estimates being re-added to the EXIF data. I do personally find them useful from time to time to get a rough idea after the fact.

However the problem with the M240 is that the values would include crazy numbers like in between half stops or stops that the lens doesn't even support.

A way better solution would be to use the 6 bit coding and a lookup table to estimate the nearest half aperture stop that the lens actually supports and pick that.

This would increase the accuracy substantially.

• Like 4

Don't mean to spam the group, hope others find these suggestions useful if they make it into the camera one day.

To whomever suggested displaying the auto ISO selection during half press in the OVF, that is an awesome suggestion!

Can I ask, do you intend this function to apply only during manual shutter mode?

How would you propose this to work in auto shutter mode?

I really like your idea but currently the "requirement" is incomplete or ambiguous as to exactly how it should be implemented.

Edited by paulsydaus

Advanced exposure metering options in OVF mode :)

How would that work?

I assume the way it works in live view is to evaluate exposure before commencing the close/open/close sequence to take the shot.

If that's the case it would quicker to just enable live view but shoot through the OVF.

I'm not really understanding your request but I'm not sure what you are saying is physically possible.

Edited by paulsydaus

• jaapv unpinned this topic