M10- FW Requests/Bug Reports

digitalfx

- Bring back the Aperture info into EXIF

+1

I would like to add that if there is an unused field on one of the Menu pages, have the export of this data user selectable to turn on.  And label the item "Estimated Aperture" or similar to inform those selecting it that it is an estimate.  At least users unfamiliar with the backstory on this data will be warned it's not exact.

• Like 2

Bring Aperture estimate back into the EXIF as FNumb.  Insert the OpCodes for WarpRectangular that the SL is using when it encounters an M wideangle lens. (Unless you actually have something more accurate than the procedure in WarpRectangular allows, but in that case tell people other than Adobe so that the corrections are not only made available to those using Light Room.)

scott

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 2

It looks as if there's the possibility of a silent shutter - and it's just a firmware issue!  Time to make some serious requests as I for one would value this enhancement of the M10/...

Addition of a silent shutter would definitely move me to replace my M-240 with the M10.  I regularly shoot live performances and ceremonies where the shutter sound is distracting and unappreciated by the audience.  There I can't use my Leicas and instead use my Nikon D4 which has a silent mode that utilizes an electronic shutter.  In that mode I have to occasionally chimp to verify that I am, in fact, capturing images.  An M10 with silent shutter would allow me to use the rangefinder for focus and composition rather than the LCD of the Nikon and be a superior tool for such photography.  The silent shutter would also significantly reduce the shutter delay when using the EVF making the EVF useful in more situations.

• Like 8

Two more issues id like to see fixed:

-Auto review-hold issue

When "HOLD" is selected in Auto Review the image remains until you touch the shutter a second time. On the M240 and M9, this functioned correctly and the image remained only while "holding" the shutter release down. The implementation on the M requires a 2nd step. Is there a reason for this change? I much prefer the hold and release concept for this new function, the added step is unnecessary and slows down shooting.

-White Balance/Greycard 
An extra step was added on the M10. You must shoot the grey card, then select the grey with picker, then save. Again, on the M240 there were less steps required. Is there a reason for this?
Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Two more issues id like to see fixed:

-White Balance/Greycard 
An extra step was added on the M10. You must shoot the grey card, then select the grey with picker, then save. Again, on the M240 there were less steps required. Is there a reason for this?

I can't test it myself, but it sounds as if this lets you set a neutral white balance on a smaller part of the image, and not necessarily something in the dead center.  That's potentially a feature, although it involves an extra step.

For those who don't read French the following comment by Stefan Daniel might be interesting:

"Mr. Daniel goes on to say: '...Regarding the electronic shutter, it is not a patent issue, since it is a technology we have mastered over the SL. If there is none, it is just because of a lack of time, we absolutely wanted to launch the M10 early 2017. But it is not excluded that a future firmware update will add the electronic shutter if we feel a strong demand.' (see http://www.lesnumeriques.com/appareil-photo-numerique/leica-m10-p37381/leica-m10-culte-tradition-less-is-more-n59697.html)

It looks as if there's the possibility of a silent shutter - and it's just a firmware issue!  Time to make some serious requests as I for one would value this enhancement of the M10/...

Electronic shutter over the full 'standard' shutter speed range would encourage me to replace my M240 with the M10 much sooner. As it stands now, I plan to wait a year or so for availability to improve, bugs to be squashed... I've read the potential firmware update would extend the upper shutter speed range to 1/8000 and possibly 1/16000 but it was unclear whether it would also be an option for the full shutter speed range. It would be strange if it wasn't.

One caveat of current electronic shutters that most are likely aware of, is due to the progressive readout of the sensor, line by line, use under artificial lighting that cycles off/on can result in exposure banding throughout the image. A global electronic shutter would be preferred, but it's probably a few years before we'll see this as it's only just becoming an option for higher end cine cameras. I would be extremely surprised if the M10's sensor could do it.

Electronic level during live view. I use this very frequently with the M240's live view (and my Canon cameras). Sure, I can get by without it, but over the years I've developed a tendency to tilt my shots a couple degrees. For situations with more critical framing, which is when I tend to use the M240's live view, the level helps me optimize full use of the entire image area, rather than shooting a bit looser and cropping in post.

• Like 2

I can't test it myself, but it sounds as if this lets you set a neutral white balance on a smaller part of the image, and not necessarily something in the dead center.  That's potentially a feature, although it involves an extra step.

The extra step is the "save" which is not necessary.

You select the point and then save.

All you really need to do is select the point and be done.

It took me 10 minutes to figure out why it wasn't working when I selected the grey. I was failing to go one step further and save that decision.

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 1

+1 and my #1 hope:  electronic level in Live View, a must for landscape. I rarely turn it off.  

It was first offered in the M240 but was a separate menu item and appeared without the live view image, rather useless during normal shooting situations. A Firmware Update moved it out of a black page and into Live View.

I hope that Leica didn't remove the built-in electronic level device from the M10. If so, I would think that including it in an update will be impossible.

• Like 4

I'd like to see an option to use the timer to trigger a bracketing sequence.  Used to be able to do that on the 240 since the timer was on the ON switch. Now, both are in the drive menu. This saves from using a cable release to avoid camera shake.

• Like 1

You can trigger the shutter using your smart phone. (general assumption that most people have a smart phone) Therefore you do not need a cable release or to use the timer.

There are quite a few cases where a phone (smart or otherwise) will not do. You have no tactile feedback. You have to look at the phone at least in order to place your finger over (not on) the proper spot. The phone will act as a beacon of light when shooting in the dark, e.g. in a theater. The chain of events from signalling the shutter to release until it actually opens is very variable. You need more fingers, hands or level surfaces to place your gear. You can not hold the camera with both hands (at least, I can't) while holding the phone so that you can release it in the decisive moment.

Remotely controlling the shutter using the phone is a wonderful thing but it's not equally usable in all circumstances.

• Like 3

Agreed.

I made some assumptions about the post. For instance, that they would be using a tripod when bracketing.

Assumed it was landscape which is typically not in absolute darkness and therefore the screen brightness, facing the photographer, wouldn't affect.

But I do agree, there are many other times when the iPhone wont work.

• Like 2

Electronic/silent shutter: on the SL it is still only available at high speeds, as a way of offering higher speeds than the physical shutter. It will only be of real use as a silent shutter when it is available at slow speeds (for performances in low light). If it appeared on the M10 at slow speeds it might persuade me to buy, but I'd also expect it to appear on the SL.

Edited by LocalHero1953

• jaapv unpinned this topic