M10- FW Requests/Bug Reports

digitalfx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Post your FW Requests or report Bugs here. (I'll keep Post #1 updated with all the requests)

Current Version: 1.3.4.0

List updated: 2/22/17

[bUG FIXES]

-Auto review-hold issue

When "HOLD" is selected in Auto Review the image remains until you touch the shutter a second time. On the M240 and M9, this functioned correctly and the image remained only while "holding" the shutter release down. The implementation on the M requires a 2nd step. Is there a reason for this change? Is this a bug or by design?  Regardless it needs to be fixed.

-SDXC Card Compatibility  issue

Users are reporting several cards are not functioning (posts #44), 

Discussion:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/268663-sd-card-compatibility-issue/?p=3196352

-Auto brightness issues

The auto brightness for the frame lines is erratic...jumping rapidly from bright to dim in mixed lighting. This also occurs occasionally with LCD brightness.

-Continuous mode + EVF

Fixed with firmware update v1.7.4.0

Discussion:

http://www.l-camera-...e/#entry3212371

-Date/time issue

Some users are reporting that date/time does not stick and images have the wrong data.

-Profiles and Leica R-M Adapter

When the Leica R-M adapter is installed, Profiles will no longer load.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/269514-bug-with-r-lenses-cant-load-a-profile/

-Image Import- Image orientation errors

FW 1.3.4.0

Discussion: 

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/269582-incorrectly-rotated-m10-photos-following-lightroom-cc-import/

[FEATURE REQUESTS]

1. Bring back the Aperture info into EXIF
  2. Addition of a Electronic/Silent shutter
  3. Electronic level during live view. 
  4. Timer to trigger a bracketing sequence.
  5. Advanced exposure metering options in OVF mode 
  6. "Multiple Delete"- allow user to select multiple individual images to delete (post #43)
  7. Add Auto ISO value to OVF with half press of shutter. 
  8. When using the App via WiFi- Block the camera from going to sleep while browsing or transferring images.
  9. Add yellow, orange, red, blue, green and IR filters to B&W Mode
  10. Add wifi connection to a PC or Mac for wireless file transfer or Tethering
  11. [Sleep Mode] Add the option to wake the camera by depressing the Menu, Play or LV buttons.
  12. [Profiles] Add more than 4 Profiles
  13. [Profiles] Allow profile names to be greater than 5 characters.
  14. [Favorites] Ability to sort your Favorites list
  15. Bulb mode (longer than 2 min,)
  16. Ability to disable Long exposure noise reduction
  17. Add Video :)
  18. Advanced DNG specifications (see post #110)
  19. Advanced/hidden menu that unlocks nonstandard customizations (see post #112)
  20. Add RGB Histogram
Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 2

Is Focus Assist restricted to LV monitor or do you see those reflected in the viewfinder? I really love the fact that the USB cable is gone and it has no video, then you have at one's fingertips ISO, F-stop, and shutter speed. M10 is genius at work.

Is Focus Assist restricted to LV monitor or do you see those reflected in the viewfinder? I really love the fact that the USB cable is gone and it has no video, then you have at one's fingertips ISO, F-stop, and shutter speed. M10 is genius at work.

its available in both and so is the stray sparkles

• Like 1

I actually use this on my SL and I don't find it distracts me from greating great pictures. In some instances I can agree that it be distracting, in others I find it a boon. Of course I wear glasses so my eyes are not the best, but I am glad to see an M with Focus Assist.

The M10 appears to generate its raw file .DNG output in the same (newer) format DNG1.4 that the SL uses.  This suggests that we could now get the best of both worlds.  The M10 carries forward the file labelling options that the M240 has offered -- I'd like to see that offered on the SL.  The SL has a broken system, creating a new folder and a gap in the labelling every 999 shots, and less ability to give files from different cameras unique names.  The SL's firmware team has incorporated corrections for distortion and lateral chromatic aberration for many R and M lenses, but they do not appear to be present in the M10's firmware.  Why not use them?  Adobe LightRoom does appear to apply a correction (per Sean Reid), but that doesn't help those who use other software to develop their raw files.  These corrections give straighter lines and sharper edges for wide angle lenses.

scott

• Like 3

I actually use this on my SL and I don't find it distracts me from greating great pictures. In some instances I can agree that it be distracting, in others I find it a boon. Of course I wear glasses so my eyes are not the best, but I am glad to see an M with Focus Assist.

are you referring to the focus peaking?

If so, Im not suggesting this be eliminated...after all it can be turned off. The implementation in the M is drastically different from the SL or any previous Leica. Unless my camera has an issue (which I doubt), the M focus peaking is adding too many highlights on the image and many appear random. I need to test it further.

I'm lost. What USB was on the M240? There is a databus behind the baseplate, but that could not get in your way as it was hidden.

• Like 1

What would be the advantage of uncompressed DNG ?

My M240 allows me to choose. Its not about which is better. Its really just about having a personal preference needlessly removed. The M purports to be a tool for purists. I am a purist. Purists appreciate the ability to make decisions for themselves as to what type of file to capture and store. I hope that helps.

• Like 1

My M240 allows me to choose. Its not about which is better. Its really just about having a personal preference needlessly removed. The M purports to be a tool for purists. I am a purist. Purists appreciate the ability to make decisions for themselves as to what type of file to capture and store. I hope that helps.

But if the choice is meaningless, what is the point?

From my tests, there is virtually no difference in lossless compressed DNG and uncompressed. I fought for uncompressed myself until I analyzed the differences...I stopped using uncompressed long ago. A complete waste of space and slows the camera down.

Edited by digitalfx

But if the choice is meaningless, what is the point?

From my tests, there is virtually no difference in lossless compressed DNG and uncompressed. I fought for uncompressed myself until I analyzed the differences...I stopped using uncompressed long ago. A complete waste of space and slows the camera down.

The point is that with choice you and I can both be happy. 

Now is that really that much to ask?

I'm lost. What USB was on the M240? There is a databus behind the baseplate, but that could not get in your way as it was hidden.

Not M240, M10 has no USB, that I was referring to.

For those who don't read French the following comment by Stefan Daniel might be interesting:

"Mr. Daniel goes on to say: '...Regarding the electronic shutter, it is not a patent issue, since it is a technology we have mastered over the SL. If there is none, it is just because of a lack of time, we absolutely wanted to launch the M10 early 2017. But it is not excluded that a future firmware update will add the electronic shutter if we feel a strong demand.' (see http://www.lesnumeriques.com/appareil-photo-numerique/leica-m10-p37381/leica-m10-culte-tradition-less-is-more-n59697.html)

It looks as if there's the possibility of a silent shutter - and it's just a firmware issue!  Time to make some serious requests as I for one would value this enhancement of the M10/...

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 14

My M240 allows me to choose. Its not about which is better.

Giving a choice even when just one of the two options makes sense only gives rise to pointless debates as to which option is best: “If ‘compressed’ is clearly the best option, then why does Leica offer a choice?” The only way to put this to rest is to offer no choice.

• Like 8

• jaapv unpinned this topic