sell M8 for parts

underground

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

Finally dropped the M8 and damaged it. I am looking for some insite from all you knowledgeable Leica pro's.

I am thinking about selling it for parts if there is even a market to do so. I sent it to Leica and they want 

$670. and change.

The Quote from Leica is as listed:

1) Adjust sensor

2) Adjust range finder

3) Impact damage

4) CLA

5) Leather covering

6) Rear cover

7) Sealing ring 1x 1,5

My question is. What would it be worth for parts? Or is it a cool looking paperweight?

Thanks everyone in advance,

Dave Mac

As a collector of older film and digital cameras, I would say that an M8 for parts is pretty much worthless. Older digital cameras have not reached collector status and a quick check of ebay doesn't show any non-working M8s. I occasionally use a Sony CD Mavica I paid $3 for, that is in perfect working condition, I wouldn't pay anything for a digital camera that doesn't work.

However, how do you feel about trying to repair your camera yourself? Looking at the list Leica sent you, it may just need the sensor and rangefinder adjusting to make it a working camera again. The rangefinder is easy, the sensor I'm not sure about but Google may tell you what to do, otherwise in your place I would tear it apart and see if I can figure out what needs adjusting.

Or, $670 is a lot less than a replacement body, you might want to consider having Leica repair it and continue to enjoy it.

Edited by mikemgb

IMO, it would be hard to sell, and i doubt it is an easy DIY job. Most parts and tools to do the job are not available on open market. Best option would probably be to have it repaired. Then you will have a M8 in very good shape and with warranty on most of it. That is worth something more than a normal M8 on the second hand market.

Of course, if there are some visible marks of the drop left after the repair, it might not sell at all. There are plenty nice looking M8's around....

My original M8 met the tile floor in a Disneyland restroom.  Back then it was close to a thousand dollars for the same repairs you list above, so I think it's a good price.  Pay up and enjoy it for another decade.

Eric

• Like 1

why would you want to give up on your M8? having it serviced for 670 bucks brings you back a like-new M8! it seems to me, that leica have decided that something around 700 bucks should be the price for serious servicing done to any M8. whenever i read about someone having his M8 serviceed this is -more or less- the price they had to pay. reardless of wahat was serviced.

and it for sure is worth it. you have to remember, what this beast used to cost when it was new. and it hasnt lost any of its capabilities since then. sure, newer M9, M(240) and M10 have come up. but any of them will cost more than those 670 bucks you have to pay for your service.

if you want to sell it, its easy to calculate what you might get for it: a firstclass condition M8 sells for not more than 1100 bucks. take away 670 for repair, take away a couple of bucks for the serviced camera not beeing "newish" anymore, add some Euros for the camera beeing freshly serviced by motherplant and there you are: you wont get more than 430 bucks. maybe even less.

so: either you have it serviced or someone else will.

if you want to keep on using digital rangefinders: have your M8 serviced. it will be working like new afterwards.

but if you want to upgrade to some other M - dont hesitate and do so. but does selling your M8 for 430 bring you really that much closer to your desired new M. i rather not think so. better keep it. you might want to have it serviced later. as soon as you start missing those wonderful CCD-files from the M8...

So your saying turn the M8 to a current model? Or trade in for a current model?

I almost bought the SL to replace it, but instead purchased the Sony A7RII with an M adapter (it was cheep 3,000 USD). It works well but would rather 

have the SL or a new digital M.

Thanks for all the replies.

D-Mac

Edited by underground

The M8's are going back up in price. Reliable fantastic camera.

I'd be surprised to get one under US$1,200 to $1,500 today landed her, with less than 5,000 actuations.

The newbies to Leica digital are giving it a go...the perfect entre/...

Edited by david strachan
  • Like 1

I totally agree, it has its issues for me now but it is a good camera.

Talking to my son of 13 said he liked using it with with my 50 cron.

Getting it fixed is a no brained at this point. It helps getting some input from you guys even though

The questions can be lame.

Thanks again.

Edited by underground

"...a firstclass condition M8 sells for not more than 1100 bucks" Please tell where so I can get another one at that price. They still easily sell for more than that.

just browse the big electric bay. should be easy to find.

and keep in mind: what you pay is not what the seller gets: there is a 10% fee on sellings and approx 2% on payment made by the Pal. that cuts the seller 12% back from his sellingprice. and then there might be salestaxes as well- depending on your local tax regulations.

so: getting more than 1100 for a good M8 would mean, you sell it for 1270 or more.

and then i just realized, i'm talking those nice colored european buck instead of those imperial green ones. makes another 10-15% of adifference...

Edited by arno_nyhm