Had to much coffee... about M10

Silkfatblues

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My short rant about new Leica M10 :)

Just spent 3 weeks in Florida where i have seen a guy shooting one of those new Hasselblads that are around 40K$ like it is the AK47. When he was satisfied he drove off in his nice Bentley. Some people... I know I think would put it in better use just like this Leica, but money, right... And who knows, maybe his pics were awesome...

So, about the Leica, it is so funny to hear all the talk (from the leica people) about the innovations they are basing their whole success, but in reality the only innovation was back in the beginning when Barnack designed first 35mm camera (please correct me if I am wrong). And in 1954. when they introduced the M3 as their first "rangefinder/viewfinder in one" that was something that Contax was making 20 years before (again, correct me if I am wrong, I think 1932.). 

Twenty years lol, what camera was popular in 1997.? 20 years from now? so... they do move slow, but somehow they do move good... They rely on high quality build, simple and effective design, longevity and posh assholes that enjoy thinking better of them selves if they buy the most expensive camera out there. I am kind of one foot in that grave lol. Just got the old M3 and was thinking about the M9 but I'll keep it at film so maybe M6, just for the fun of it... So, yeah, do you need the most expensive watch to know what time it is? Patek Philippe maybe? No, you don't, easy... But there are people in this world that do want more nicer, more unique, more fine crafted, more whatever and they keep the designers, the finest craftman and builders busy. Those people in a way push creative souls further in to the quest, science or art, technology or design. But i do believe that the artist, designer comes before the buyer, the buyer is the one that got charmed by artists work. Artist should not be charmed by money... Nor should anybody ever. But then again, guilty...

Some people get their weddings shot by cheap semi pro photographers for 300$ and some people pay tens of thousands of bucks to be photographed by their favorite photographer, so why should it be different with photographers buying that gear that they desire?!?! 

But it is not about innovations as much as tweaking things the right way. This M10 is the best M so far for sure, as far as digital M's go. You just can't beat that viewfinder. No EVF is as good as the real thing. But remember the hype about Sony a7 series not so long ago, everybody was like, yeah, the 7s, the 7R, the 7R2, the 7S2 (they keep coming like bad movie sequels), the best ever, evf, new sony revolution and BS... For sure I got it, sold all my canon stuf that I had been using for 10 years, and yes, video is better, but everything else is crap, the screen is pealing of, the shit feels like a toy in a hand, that small iso wheel rotates by a slight breeze, and what... That very Sonys battery is pretty sure to die before this one in Leica, lol, but people are complaining how bad the Leica battery is. Do not worry, if the guy has 6500$ for a camera he will buy some extra batteries, really, he will...

So, they (sony) made tons of money, as they should, and couple of years later most people think, man, that camera really isn't made to last, crappy, maybe I should sell it and buy Canon 6D or whatever, good workhorse and no pain in the ass while trying to figure the real colors. My pocket wizards could go to 1/8000 again, and where the fuck did that green cast come from, you f...in sony... 

What I am trying to say, maybe Leica is a bit behind of them all in one way, but on the other hand I really do not know a single person that went for a Leica and got disappointed, sold it and got back to whatever they were shooting... So manny guys bought every single new Nikon or Canon or Sony and sold it, but Leica was always a keeper. 

While Sony nervously makes new models, or new half products couple of times in a year, Leica keeps it cool and plays a longer game. Yes, I know, even those half products have so much more options, resolution, dynamic range and what not, but, most of that stuff never gets used... The thing is that most of the camera users are not professionals, the semi pro cameras can produce pretty pro pics, and even the pro photographers don't use all of the stuff that their cameras can do. More than 70% of a photo club that I visit went for Fuji, how about that. The image quality of Fuji can not be better even than the old Canon 5dmk2, and one is full frame and the other is not. So, that says people want smaller cameras, never mind the image quality and even forget that bokeh, they don't need that. So who is to say what people should buy, what people need, what people want in cameras, how important the FF is, how wonderful the dynamic range is and all that jazz (even a lot of leica m240 users complained about the dynamic range until they learned how to do the settings)... 

The market is constantly changing, there will be a new HYPE tomorrow, but M9 still has a price of 2500-3000 bucks nowadays, leicas that are 60 years old still go for 1000$ (not to mention the black ones lol) but my canon 5dmk2 went for a used bicycle and my Sony a7s will go for a lens or two, lol... That is just how it seems to me from "I don't get it but I do get it" point of view. 

Cheers, S  

btw. if I was buying a digital leica it would be Typ 262 M-D :D
Edited by Silkfatblues
  • Like 3

Where I'm people are predominately with DSLRs, if not using mobile phones. First, I quit from using of DSLRs for video, because phone does it with less hassle and quality is the same. Then I quit DSLRs for street, travel photography, because Leica film M cameras are much more continent. Strange, but it is. 

My super ideal "if I would buy digital M Leica" is not even made yet! It is M10D (where D is "no Display"). Why not M-D? Because it has ISO dial where sweat from my body creates wet spot (it comes through T-Short during long walks). Currently it is on my M-E screen...

Edited by Ko.Fe.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome.

As a rule of thumb, there are two types of people on the forum;

people who moan about Leica, and people who moan about people who moan about Leica

There's a very small third group of people who don't moan about anything. No one takes any notice of them.

Enjoy the fun.

• Like 2