M10 iOS app

Tobers

Setup and connecting are too tedious. Switching between ad-hoc and joining networks is also a pain. I've been using the apple SD to lighting adapter to let iOS handle the imports: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJYT2AM/A/lightning-to-sd-card-camera-reader. This is significantly faster, but drains phone battery fast, fills phone memory fast, and it's another dongle.

Edited by TX400

Setup and connecting are too tedious. Switching between ad-hoc and joining networks is also a pain. I've been using the apple SD to lighting adapter to let iOS handle the imports: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJYT2AM/A/lightning-to-sd-card-camera-reader. This is significantly faster, but drains phone battery fast, fills phone memory fast, and it's another dongle.

For the app I always leave it set to Create WLAN.  It works well most of the time, but there have been a couple of occasions where I could not get it work properly.  I do like the app and I find it very useful, particularly if you want to transfer something you just shot.  The problem comes when you have 500 images on the card and you want to get to a shot from the first 50 images you photographed that day.  It's pretty much impossible to get the thumbnails to transfer all the way back to that point.

I also carry the SD card to Lightning cable with me many times.  It does transfer quicker and its pretty easy to select only the images you want to transfer.  I don't like have to remove the baseplate multiple times if I'm shooting and transferring over the course of an hour or two however.  So I find it best to use the app sometimes and the card reader other times depending on how things are going for me at that particular moment.

Anyone found a way to download more than one image at a time?

Yes - click the little icon at the bottom with 4 squares inside it. That lets you select more than one image. That icon does get a bit highlighted when you click it, but it's not at all obvious.

Once you've selected the ones you want, click download and you're sorted - it will download them all.

• Like 1

For the app I always leave it set to Create WLAN.  It works well most of the time, but there have been a couple of occasions where I could not get it work properly.  I do like the app and I find it very useful, particularly if you want to transfer something you just shot.  The problem comes when you have 500 images on the card and you want to get to a shot from the first 50 images you photographed that day.  It's pretty much impossible to get the thumbnails to transfer all the way back to that point.

I also carry the SD card to Lightning cable with me many times.  It does transfer quicker and its pretty easy to select only the images you want to transfer.  I don't like have to remove the baseplate multiple times if I'm shooting and transferring over the course of an hour or two however.  So I find it best to use the app sometimes and the card reader other times depending on how things are going for me at that particular moment.

I found the thumbnail issue to be a problem for the lighting adapter also.

Edited by TX400

Absolutely dreadful UI in the app but it seems to work OK. They should really hire someone to make a properly designed app instead of this thing which turns importing photos into total guesswork. 

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anyone else experiencing the annoying fact that every time you connect to the LEICA-M-<NUMBER> WLAN that you need to re-enter the password? The password is the same (every time), but the iPhone won't remember it. I have use other ad-hoc WLAN's and I can't remember entering those passwords every time.

• Like 1

I wonder why there aren't any PC/Mac/Linux based apps that can connect to camera's over wireless. Either for camera-control or picture download. The protocol used is Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP). There are several programs that do this over USB for several camera brands/types, but wireless is absent for some reason.

• 1 month later...

It would have been great if they decide to make Mac OS apps too

Instagram @jakontil

Agreed.  Apple seems to be making computers into toys rather than working tools.  

Without USB connector,  I would rather the camera went to desktop rather than some toy device where I would have to move it a second time to a computer.  

• Like 1