Which strap for the M10? {merged}

screwmount

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can someone provide more detail re harry b straps? I had them on my 240 and 246, with no issues and on my m10 with no problems so far. I do use a small rubber gasket to protect the finish from the metal ring.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lpeeples

I have an older Arte di Mano strap and love it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I was thinking this - is the side of the leather that's treated in the vintage way rough to the touch though?

(re: the Tie Her Up Nevada strap)

I can feel a very slight texture, but the outside (the "rough" side?) is still really soft. The inside is super soft.

(re: the Tie Her Up Nevada strap)

I can feel a very slight texture, but the outside (the "rough" side?) is still really soft. The inside is super soft.

Thank you. They are also making a special edition rock and roll strap for the M10. It looks nice but possibly too much strap for me.

I'm a bit concerned about using any strap with split rings. I've read on the forum about split rings working their way out of the strap lugs. Any thoughts on this phenomenon and ways to stop it happening? I'm not writing about the supplied M10 strap specifically, just straps with split rings in general.

My own solution is to put a short (around 12 mm) lenth of shrink tubing over the ring (after mounting it on the camera) so it covers the split, then heat it carefully with a lighter flame so it sets (happens very fast, so no risk of cooking the camera, really).  Works perfectly; only hitch is that you have to slit the tubing with a knife if you want to remove the strap - so you´ve better decide once and for all which strap you do want to use...

Edited by elgenper
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With my Leica cameras and also with a heavy Nickon DSLR I have been using triangular shaped rings which are encased in some kind of little black plastic frame. I'm not able to take pictures of them at the moment, but in over 15 years I have never had one deform or cause any problems whatsoever. I have normally bought them on eBay. If I find a link I will post it here

• Like 1

Can someone provide more detail re harry b straps? I had them on my 240 and 246, with no issues and on my m10 with no problems so far. I do use a small rubber gasket to protect the finish from the metal ring.

it is not the ring that causes the damage. it is the thick leather that connects the ring. When the camera is hanging from your neck the thick leather (also angled) rubs the camera in a circular motion.

The M246 and M240 (which I use my HB strap with) has little rubber pieces that protect the camera finish from this rubbing. I don't think the rubber will help.

I have been using the HB strap for two weeks (not much usage though) and I haven't noticed any paint wear yet but this was reported by Jono and I trust his comment. As soon as my new strap is delivered I will be switching them out.

That's nice!  I have ordered this in in anticipation (125cm version) 

https://tieherup-camera-straps.myshopify.com/products/rock-n-roll-m10-limited-edition

I have the standard one on my Sony and like the slight flex you get from the design.  This one is narrower.

Love the red accent on your strap but I'm not a big fan of braids, although this wrist strap is nice, I think I have a thing for military green w black 

Annie-Barton-camera-straps-for-Leica-cam

Edited by hollisd

That's nice!  I have ordered this in in anticipation (125cm version) 

https://tieherup-camera-straps.myshopify.com/products/rock-n-roll-m10-limited-edition

I have the standard one on my Sony and like the slight flex you get from the design.  This one is narrower.

I don't even have the M10 yet, but I've got one of these limited edition rock and roll straps on the way for it.

• 2 weeks later...

It was reported that the Harry Benz straps will rub the paint off of the sides of the M10. Just a note. I put my HB back on my 246 and purchased a Leicatime trap that doesn't have the thick leather end.

Gentlemen, I already made adjustments that avoid this problem completely.

To be clear: What I do is 100% handcrafted.

I don't have to go through complex production related procedures or throw expensive die-cuts and templates into the garbage only to adjust to a new situation.

When I hear of a problem, I simply fix it.

• Like 3

My apologies for rambling on but I feel, I should explain something.

Some time ago Jonathan (Jono) Slack had ordered from me an Urushi. Unbeknownst to me he tested it on a prototype M10.
Apparently, for whatever reason the M10 doesn't have those protective plastic pads above the strap lugs anymore.
As soon as I learned from Jono about this change in Leica's design, I came up with a solution.

Unfortunately, Jono failed to mention in his report that going forward this won't be an issue anymore. Well, in his defense, he didn't know I fixed it already.

Harry

• Like 3

Hi Harry, love your straps. Could you elaborate on your adjustment please?

Thank you. Of course, I can.

It's rather simple: I make the leather for my connector pieces thinner.

This way there's more room between the connector piece and the camera body. Problem avoided.

By the way, this doesn't change anything to the fact that it is still impossible for the split rings to touch the camera. It's not the depth of the leather but the width and shape design of the connectors that does protect the camera from any split ring related scratches.

Also: This adjustment does not weaken the strap either. Although my connector pieces are thinner than they used to be, they are still thicker than most other straps.

Besides, unlike cow leather what most other straps are made of, the Water-Buffalo leather I employ for all my straps does not stretch. Which means, it won't get weaker with time either.

If you are wondering now why I made them thick in the first place, the answer is simple: It instills confidence in one's gear. And confidence helps with taking better photos.

Harry

• Like 3