Availability?

dennersten

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Placed my order for a silver with Leica Mayfair at the end of March, and was emailed today to let me know it's in.

I'm having to pay the new, higher price even though I got on to the waiting list before it was announced.

Placed my order for a silver with Leica Mayfair at the end of March, and was emailed today to let me know it's in.

I'm having to pay the new, higher price even though I got on to the waiting list before it was announced.

That is not right!

Did you ask for the original price?

• Like 1

Hope you get the camera.  It was listed on their site earlier today as available and now it is pre-order.

Got a call from an Amazon rep to verify the order. I realized that I placed the order on the wrong credit card. Amazon said there was nothing I could do other than cancel and re-order. We went back and forth so many times. I had asked what would happen if the card declines the purchase - automatic cancellation. He canceled the order and we ended the call. He called back 10 seconds later and said that if the card is declined you can change the purchase method.

"But you just canceled the order."

"Oh. I am so sorry. "

I left a message with LeicaSF explaining the issue and seeing if we could un-cancel the cancelation.

That is not right!

Did you ask for the original price?

I did, and was told that since I'd not paid a deposit, only sat on a waiting list, the revised price applies. I also pointed out that this was the first case I'd heard of amongst the community. Pressure of a weaker pound was cited, even though I'm fairly sure without double-checking that the pound has strengthened lately vs its position pre-price increase.

At the end of the day I have no existing contract with Leica and no leverage.

Well I finally took the plunge into the mysterious world of Leica rangefinders.... well I at least hoped to!

There does not seem to be any availability in Australia. I live in Melbourne and no luck securing an M10. Looking at this forum I have nothing to complain about as I only made the decision a few weeks ago.

I do have a rather nice 50mm Summilux I managed to get a decent price on new, hidden away securely from the Minister of Finance in the hope she doesn't find out and take over a joint portfolio as Minister of War.

I hate waiting......

• Like 1

Well I finally took the plunge into the mysterious world of Leica rangefinders.... well I at least hoped to!

There does not seem to be any availability in Australia. I live in Melbourne and no luck securing an M10. Looking at this forum I have nothing to complain about as I only made the decision a few weeks ago.

I do have a rather nice 50mm Summilux I managed to get a decent price on new, hidden away securely from the Minister of Finance in the hope she doesn't find out and take over a joint portfolio as Minister of War.

I hate waiting......

Funny isn't it? People live for years without some gadget, perhaps blissfully unaware that it exists, then they suddenly discover and want one, and life becomes singular focused on obtaining the unobtainable, and pure misery until it comes in. ;)

Eventually, the gizmo will be outdated, and replaced by another desperate want, that brings anguish and suffering.

Humans are weird. 

• Like 1

I hate waiting......

No reason to wait. There are two main camps on this thread: the waiters and the hunters. The latter usually gets one sooner. I was a waiter then became a hunter. Sought out dealers in Europe even though I live in Canada. Finally got one. Silver is an easier game, the black more elusive. If you want to be a hunter: email (ask if they ship to your country) and call. Don't simply order from websites without first checking (often they are not updated - so don't get too excited when it says available). European dealers will remove VAT from the listed price. Leica website has location of dealers. Good luck.

• Like 1

I managed to get lucky this past weekend in my local Leica boutique.  I was there just as the store opened, and they had just gotten one in stock the prior evening.  Had I been even five minutes later I would have lost the camera as two people called asking for one while I was paying.  This is in the U.S..  Obviously, demand is still exceeding supply here, though this particular store has now apparently filled whatever waiting list orders it had.  One of the two callers actually called in ahead of me, but was looking for a silver M10 rather than a black one, so I got lucky.

- Jared

• Like 1

If you want a silver, you should be able to get one pretty much right away at this point. I've had the opportunity to get a few.

However, I'm waiting for a black one =)

FredMiranda forums have a BNIB silver for sale for a hundred or so off last I checked.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1497239/0?keyword=leica#14088271

Hopefully this makes someone happy. 

Edited by peterhoffman

I don't know if supply is starting to loosen up but I just had an email an hour ago from a Leica Dealer in Toulouse, ( Numeriphot 05-62-73-32-60, contact@numeriphot,com or s.fernand@numeriphot.com ), offering me a Black M10 that presumably they had no waiting list for because I'd only contacted them three days ago asking if they had one. 

So I guess it just came in today.

I'd already found one two days ago at another dealer here in SW France after only deciding to try to find one here this week, so I'm set but the one at Numeriphot may still be available for anyone who's still waiting.

Edited by Guest

I got on a waitlist for a silver one at Leica Store LA, got a call next day and picked it up. They say that it can take up to 6 months for a black one. This is the first silver Leica for me, and I didnt think I'd like it even more than a black one.

Well.. I have the same sob story....  I ordered one with money down from one of those big box stores in New York back on March 9th. That is 6 months ago. I had been on their list since mid January...  Still no camera, no ETA date.. I have gone from patient to upset and now I am approaching the "I don't care anymore" attitude..   My M7 keeps on working and I keep getting my film processed at the Darkroom..  So why should I change??  I don't know, I really have no idea why I am doing this.  I only know Leica corporate stores are getting cameras.  Independent stores are getting almost nothing.

Well.. I have the same sob story.... I ordered one with money down from one of those big box stores in New York back on March 9th. That is 6 months ago. I had been on their list since mid January... Still no camera, no ETA date.. I have gone from patient to upset and now I am approaching the "I don't care anymore" attitude.. My M7 keeps on working and I keep getting my film processed at the Darkroom.. So why should I change?? I don't know, I really have no idea why I am doing this. I only know Leica corporate stores are getting cameras. Independent stores are getting almost nothing.

The wait has distorted your time frame.... it's only 4 months from March 9th. Independent stores have been getting cameras for months, smaller ones often with little or no wait lists. Call around aggressively until you find one as others have successfully done. I found 2 in 2 days. A reputable dealer will refund your deposit.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Decided to wait a week and finally got my silver m10 from cameraland. It took around 4-5 weeks total. I would suggest checking back weekly. I think silver is easier to find now then black but really just depends on available luck. Well off too europe this week with my m's...happy shooting. If I see any M's in France or Germany for sale I'll post again.

The wait has distorted your time frame.... it's only 4 months from March 9th. Independent stores have been getting cameras for months, smaller ones often with little or no wait lists. Call around aggressively until you find one as others have successfully done. I found 2 in 2 days. A reputable dealer will refund your deposit.

Jeff

Before giving up a few weeks ago and deciding to pass on the M10, a fair number of us have had orders placed with several places since February and are still not coming up with what we want which in the case of my friends and I is a black one. Not all of us have time to keep calling around, I don't and neither do my friends who have careers as photographers even. 

Seems like there might be enough issues with this camera on launch that it might be what is causing the slow release of product? Either way, I and three of my friends have all cooled off on getting this camera and I know in my case I will likely wait a couple years and get it used. 

Props to those who managed to get it and are happy, no issues, etc. I just know for me personally, it is not life or death for me to get it since I am only an average photo hobby guy and the 240 I have will allow me to make photos just as good as I could make with the M10. 

To each his/her own. I spent less than 3 hours making calls to find 2 cameras, one black and one silver, with one of the dealers willing to trade my M240.

I tested the M10 before purchase (making prints), so I knew what to expect; otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my time. My viewing and shooting experience is superior to the M240, and so is out of camera color.

I don't expect others to share my opinions,... just passing along my experience, which seems to have prompted some here to become proactive and shorten their wait.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1