Availability?

dennersten

I don't think dealers try to convince people to buy a Leica. I think Leica sells because of its heritage and brand name. I bet they would sell just as many if all there cameras were sold by them. Not very hard to market products online anymore either with social media etc.

I'd say Leica is not missing out on anything. 

Sure they are, I am passing on it out of being utterly tired of waiting and so are two of my friends who shoot for a living. The buzz is Leica is dragging ever loving a$$ on this and people are tiring of it, that gets around and affects sales. 

• Like 3

Reprehensible. I am a long time film M user and semi-professional. I entered the BH waitlist in (very) early Feb. Attempts to call smaller regional ADs, in Japan and USA, led nowhere. Glad to hear this has worked for some pundits. Honestly, it isn't about the money but I don't want to purchase on the parallel market in HK or Dubai or wherever. Several people are going to move up on waitlists because of me. 

• Like 1

I agree it's effected early sales. I know several people who are passing on the m10 because by the time they get it there will be an mp version released. But I also think Leica is perfectly fine with high demand and low volume. You can make up the difference by raising prices on all your products.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree it's effected early sales. I know several people who are passing on the m10 because by the time they get it there will be an mp version released. But I also think Leica is perfectly fine with high demand and low volume. You can make up the difference by raising prices on all your products.

Never a good thing to torque off your dealers, especially those that get massive traffic in their stores. I did notice an effort to steer me elsewhere last time I visited BH, most of the reps I talked to there understood that Leica buyers have a distinct mindset. Still, no question that a few were annoyed with Leica and were pushing Sony. Don't blame them at all.

I'll receive my camera today, and out of respect for those who have waited much, much longer, I promise to not open the box until everyone has their camera in hand.

Please keep me informed...

I don't blame the dealers. There at the mercy of Leica. Maybe the lack of the M10's has to the sd card issue some people are having or something else. Maybe Leica pulled back on supply. Either way I will remember for the next M, wait a year or more to inquire about it. Really isn't worth all the hassle.

No hassle getting on a wait list and being patient. Minor inconvenience for those who take initiative to call around to smaller dealers with little or no wait. No different than prior launches. In fact, 'teething' issues have been far less with the M240 and M10 compared to the M8 and M9, including SD card issues.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

No different than prior launches. In fact, 'teething' issues have been far less with the M240 and M10 compared to the M8 and M9, including SD card issues.

This sounds to me a bit like Leica apologism. Given Leica's reputation, and the prices they leverage out of it, these sorts of delays in availability and "teething issues" like SD card compatibility, simply should not happen. As users, we shouldn't be giving them a pass. We should be calling them out on it. I know of few other camera makers that have these kinds of issues with every model release, and certainly not at this price point. I can see it with the M8/M9, but by now Leica ought to have their act together for a smooth release.

• Like 2

This sounds to me a bit like Leica apologism. Given Leica's reputation, and the prices they leverage out of it, these sorts of delays in availability and "teething issues" like SD card compatibility, simply should not happen. As users, we shouldn't be giving them a pass. We should be calling them out on it. I know of few other camera makers that have these kinds of issues with every model release, and certainly not at this price point. I can see it with the M8/M9, but by now Leica ought to have their act together for a smooth release.

You obviously haven't read my many posts 'calling them out' on issues, most recently for their treatment of customers with S lens AF failures as well as those with M9 sensor corrosion. Dreadful.

And lots more. The M9 suffered initially with cracked sensors, red edge issues, buffer and SD card issues, color issues and more. I was not an early adopter for these very reasons, apart from availability, until the M240 and M10 (so far) proved to be more stable platforms.

My point here is strictly about availability, and those few who continually complain...but show no inclination to make dealer calls if they can't tolerate the wait. I wish there were more product everywhere...but there isn't. I'm glad at least some people have taken the suggestions offered and who now have a camera in hand.

Jeff

• Like 3

I was late to the party wanting my M10 and only got on a couple lists one month ago.  Based on what I was reading here, I called Samy's Camera and Las Vegas Leica store.  I got my silver M10 2 days ago from Samy's (was 4th on their list mid-May) and a phone call from Las Vegas that they had one also the next day.  Sounds like they are becoming more readily available now.

:lol: I recall at the beginning of this saga, people were not condoning multiple list spots.

Now it's a case of being pro-active and jumping on any that are freely available at dealers.  :lol:

How time changes ones perspective!.

I'm patiently waiting my place on one list, I'm dismayed at the frequency of unit deliveries to said dealer, I'm surprised given the time passed since release

how many cameras Leica could/should have made and shipped globally, yet many here seem to be still waiting.

There does not seem to be a larger / glut in supply of quality / reasonably priced 2nd hand bodies to indicate Leica is meeting demand.

Sure the "digital" M is a small market segment, but in 5 months one would expect some form of regularity in supply, or perhaps Leica has a run away success on their hands.

I was initially told possibly May, more likely June. That time has come and almost passed, truth be told, if I hadn't already bought my lenses, I'd be taking a back seat.

I've already had one vacation without the camera, I've another planned for August, If my camera hasn't arrived by then, I'll cancel and wait my time for better value. ;)  

:lol: I recall at the beginning of this saga, people were not condoning multiple list spots.

Now it's a case of being pro-active and jumping on any that are freely available at dealers. :lol:

How time changes ones perspective!.

Those two points of view were never mutually exclusive for me. I got on one list early on to remain loyal to one dealer, content to wait. But when the price increase was announced, I made calls elsewhere and found two cameras in a couple of days, one willing to trade my M240 for a great price. I'll return to the original dealer next time.

Jeff

I prefer to support my local camera store.  It's so nice to touch and hold a camera or lens before buying it and I don't want them to go away.  However, I have a 2 week trip to Europe planned starting next week and I feel very lucky to get my M10 beforehand.  Even if it was getting on a couple lists out of state.  Another plus is saving $500 sales tax not buying it locally.

Edited by carcam

there are quite a few people who get both black and silver when they come out too...that could also be a reason there is a delay. im guessing at least a third if not more of Leica users are just collectors who place the cameras on there shelves.

there are quite a few people who get both black and silver when they come out too...that could also be a reason there is a delay. im guessing at least a third if not more of Leica users are just collectors who place the cameras on there shelves.

If your guess is right, then I'm really sad. It would be such a waste for these great tools to be sitting on a shelf. All of my Leicas are in pretty rough shape, from the M3s to the M9P. Hardly collectable. If you're a collector, seems to me it would make more sense to wait until all the rough edges are worked out on a new model. That would make it more desirable than an early run version that might or might not have issues. The fact that it would free up cameras for those of us who want to use them is a nice bonus. 

Received my silver M10 last Friday, ordered from Leica Miami on Jan 20.  After using the monochrom (246) for a year, this feels really great in the hand, and the cumulative effect of all of the small changes leads to a significantly improved user experience.  Now if they'd just get caught up so they can focus on the next monochrom!

• Like 1