Availability?

dennersten

Advertisement (gone after registration)

UPS held up my camera in Louisville, KY over the weekend. If I had not called this morning I believe it would still be in customs clearance. They required me to give a SSN or Federal Tax ID number before it would begin the customs process because the value is over $2500 USD. Anyone ran into this type of hang-up?

That's how it is supposed to work - although bureaucracy being what it is, some people may get lucky. You're importing a product (apparently) and have to jump through the hoops any importer would have to.

As the "official" importer, Leica USA likely has to go through the same thing - except that they have staff people who plan ahead, provide the details to DHL or whomever even before shipping, and thus it is a rapid and transparent process. Customs already has all the necessary information, before the shipping pallet comes through their door.

• Like 1

I wonder what UPS is going to do with your SS number.  Do they report it for tax purposes?  I live in Calif., would they report something to the Tax Franchise Board regarding the sales tax?  Of course I self report everything I purchase from outside the state.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wonder what UPS is going to do with your SS number.  Do they report it for tax purposes?  I live in Calif., would they report something to the Tax Franchise Board regarding the sales tax?  Of course I self report everything I purchase from outside the state.

Yes, Sacramento keeps a tab.

If the delta between declared use tax and their count is too large they will contact you.

I returned a faulty item from overseas, so did not declare/pay use tax on that in April.

The gap tripped their interest ; fortunately I kept proof of return/re-export from USPS.

It took all of about 2 hours to find out UPS applied an "Exception" to my delivery and stated I needed to pay $36 USD for duties/taxes. They didn't leave a way to pay online so I had to call and find out how to pay the $36 prior to delivery because I didn't want the package held up. After two transfers, I got it paid. Yay! So maybe, just maybe tomorrow I will have my camera.

Camera in hand!!! Very nice camera. My first digital M. A lovely compliment to my M6. I am even going to throw the 2/35 on and take it with me on vacation today. :-)

It came with FW 1.3.4 and I am using the SD card suggested by Magic in the SD card thread.

Edited by 6bit
  • Like 5

Camera in hand!!! Very nice camera. My first digital M. A lovely compliment to my M6. I am even going to throw the 2/35 on and take it with me on vacation today. :-)

It came with FW 1.3.4 and I am using the SD card suggested by Magic in the SD card thread.

Lucky you!

Enjoy

Persistence pays off.

Happy shooting.

• Like 1

Enjoy! You finally got it.. you were looking for this as long as I have been. I too went the overseas route from Leica Dubai. Enjoy, the camera is amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Congratulations, happy shooting and enjoy your vacation

• Like 1

I ordered my M10 (chrome) from a Central London dealer on 20th January.

"The Call" came a couple of days ago and I collected it today.

The outer, grey box has a label with the serial number, and printed sideways on it is 2017/05/16.

Whether this is the date of manufacture (are they made in a day?), the date of final test, of packing, or of dispatch, I know not.

Whichever step in the process is indicated, it suggests that the journey from Factory-to-Dealer-to-End User within Europe takes about a week.

The U.K. is still part of Europe - just - at present. :)

I ordered my M10 (chrome) from a Central London dealer on 20th January.

"The Call" came a couple of days ago and I collected it today.

The outer, grey box has a label with the serial number, and printed sideways on it is 2017/05/16.

Whether this is the date of manufacture (are they made in a day?), the date of final test, of packing, or of dispatch, I know not.

Whichever step in the process is indicated, it suggests that the journey from Factory-to-Dealer-to-End User within Europe takes about a week.

The U.K. is still part of Europe - just - at present. :)

Mine came from a dealer in Germany.

B & H charged my CC today, so my Chrome M10 order is shipping tomorrow. I ordered it on Jan 25 and will update the Sheet once it arrives in a few days. I have been patient and happily using my M240 in the meantime and will now have both bodies, 1 will be a backup in case either ever has to go in for service.

• Like 2

B & H charged my CC today, so my Chrome M10 order is shipping tomorrow. I ordered it on Jan 25 and will update the Sheet once it arrives in a few days. I have been patient and happily using my M240 in the meantime and will now have both bodies, 1 will be a backup in case either ever has to go in for service.

"Patient and Happy" is the key to a long, prosperous life.

Enjoy your new tool.

Ordered mine from B&H on March 28, so maybe only 2 more months. Arrggh! :-(

Did you order a black M10 or silver? I ordered a black one from BH on Feb 1