Survey: Interested in the new Leica M10?

LUF Admin

Interested in the Leica M10?  

805 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Leica M10 tempting for you?

• Yes, exactly the features I was waiting for!
    • Definitely interested, but waiting for more reviews (or a model Leica M10-P)
    • No, no real advantages above my Leica M240 / M9
    • No, I need video

If this was three years ago when I decided to buy an M240 I would be buying the M10. But I bought the M240 and am still more than happy with it. The M10 does not tempt me significantly. Maybe in three to four years time, when the M11 comes out, temptation might get the better of me. We shall see ;)

• Like 1

I'd love to get one with a good old Summicron 50, to remember my marvelous 60-years-old times with the M3. But...at 82, having owned no less than 470 Leica bodies, 600 lenses and 1,000 accessories through my Fontenelle Collection, and now walking with a tiny V-Lux 20 always ready in my pocket, I believe it wouldn't be really serious. Time has - and is gone...

470 bodies and 600 lenses? wow! where can we see your collection? :) 

I can't really answer this. If the ISO dial was an exposure compensation dial I would choose the first option as it would be exactly the camera I was looking for. I will be buying one anyway even though, for me, it is 'slightly less than perfect'.

William

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The lack of a USB connection is a very, very, bad move, IMO. Locking existing users out of tethered functionality and the risk of it being indefinite is not something I find pleasing or quite frankly acceptable when it could have been left as an optional grip.

I have been happily and successfully using and relying this function with this system for many years and this regression will be very disruptive, limiting and and costly.

There is much talk and expression of interest in another line of M that maintains usability and functionality that is core to some peoples work and that is something I would like and actually need to see happen and hopefully expedited.

• Like 1

It is the correct evolutionary camera for Leica to make: real improvements instead of feature bloat. (Well, I couldn't care less about WiFi.) The viewfinder improvement is the main draw for me, as well as sensor improvements for wide-angle M lenses, where the SL was a compromise. I hope it means no need for flat-field post processing for colored edges. While I save up for one, they might come out with an M-D version...

• Like 2

Andreas, when you discuss this poll with Leica, could you also mention that there is a group of M240 users who do appreciate the higher functionality and would appreciate a further development of the 240 series, parallel to the M10? 

I could imagine a processor/EVF upgrade, higher specified sensor, enhanced Video, etc in the M240 body size, for instance.

The SL is not an alternative as it is EVF only.

• Like 9

I'd have to answer none of the above.

Initial thoughts from an M9-P and M240 owner.

I'll take the 100 ISO (if that's true base), I'll take the higher ISOs and higher ISO performance, I'll take the scrolling focus and I'll take the higher DR.

I'm indifferent about the smaller size and the re-use of the Visoflex 020.

I'll leave the shutter lag and I'll leave the smaller battery.

On balance I believe the M10 to be the best digital rangefinder out there.

What this new release has made me realise is that I have two rangefinder cameras that I love using (one of which I will eventually sell). It's also made me realise that what I'm really in the market for is an EVF based M (QL or whatever) to compliment my rangefinders rather than another rangefinder with an accessory EVF.

That's where I am, but hey, never say never.

• Like 2

It makes sense to me that Leica keeps the SL line with all the bells and whistles to compete in the mirrorless world and to appeal to studio shooters wanting to shoot tethered, video makers and the liike, and maintains the classic rangefinder as simple as possible while still adding new sensors and ergonomic upgrades to please this niche market. I wouldn't expect the M to have all the current standard features and I see the M240 as a deviation from this course. 

• Like 1

It makes sense to me that Leica keeps the SL line with all the bells and whistles to compete in the mirrorless world and to appeal to studio shooters wanting to shoot tethered, video makers and the liike, and maintains the classic rangefinder as simple as possible while still adding new sensors and ergonomic upgrades to please this niche market. I wouldn't expect the M to have all the current standard features and I see the M240 as a deviation from this course. 

Video is not just the province of studio shooters, most of it is outdoors, more than some of it in conditions that the M camera is conceived for.

For instance, the first "Leica Ambassador" and friend of Ernst Leitz and Barnack, Dr. Paul Wolff, habitually carried a cine camera next to his early Leicas in the 1930ies, allegedly passing off some of his famous skiing  action stills as Leica shots. (Whether this is true or apocryphal is unknown).

He would have been more than happy with the M240 above all other M cameras.

• Like 1

I would prefer a more minimalistic M.

One single home button on the back, combined with a touchscreen.

No menu's: all adjustments are controlled through app-like icons.

Possibility to put favourite app's on top, like organising a smartphone.

Nothing more.

I own a T and I like the solid alu-body.

Although the menu organisation is complicated for me.

Regards.

• Like 1

Well, the new M10 will be an buy for sure.

It's an sexy beast and if the senor is just as good as the SL then thank god the days of the boring canon M240 colors are gone.

What I really like so far is the size, the ISO wheel, the bigger rangefinder and the overall appearance. And of course finally able to shoot at clean ISO 1600/3200.

But I won't order immediately, simply due the fact that the backorder will be looooooonnnnnnggggg, I have to find Money and im just such much in favor of the M-P style ( alacart?)

As for no video...I've got the GH5 on order anyway.

B

I would wait for the M10-P because a Leica M should have the traditional Leica script and no Red Dot!

I'm not in any hurry... I'm more than happy with my M240P. But I would trade it in for the P version of the M10...

The only M body I would have bought today would have been a EVF M for my 90 Elmarit and a 21 SEM, to go with my M240P For my 35 FLE and 50 Lux in a two body system

• Like 4