Diopters for the M10?

erlingmm

Picked up two VF attachments - a -3 diopter and a thread adaptor for an older 1.4x magnifier. I need the magnifier for the Noctilux - eyes getting old and I've been spoiled by the SL's wonderful EVF. Wish we could use both the magnifier and the diopter at the same time ... 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

OK - I fear never on the M.  I'm considering going for monocular contact lenses to get round the whole glasses on / glasses off hassle.  Getting older has it's drawbacks as well as its consolations.  I realised I'd hit middle age when my arms stopped being long enough :)

What I found afer understanding what to look at when using the Diopters is that I can use my multi fofal glasses with a +1.0 diopter and see perfectly clearly with my glasses on

• 7 months later...

Yes, but that is not a correction for an eye defect.

It is meant to aid eye-accommodation to a distance between to 2m (the virtual distance of the RF patch) and infinity for somebody with perfect eyesight.

As soon as eyesight isn't perfect, this becomes a shifting target. Somebody with a minor defect, which does not need correction by spectacles in daily life, may well find focussing easier with a diopter.

This is also the reason that the try-out method to determine diopter strength is preferable to attempts at a simple calculation.

Only an expert can calculate the strength correctly, provided he has full and recent measurement details by an optimetrician.

• 3 months later...

I am considering buying the Thread Adapter because I used magnifiers on my Mono 1 which helped me focus with my 90mm lens.

Since it's not too pricey I think it's a nice addition, even to the electronic viewfinder.

One thing I just don't get behind is the product picture on the Leica site displaying the pouch and two 'metal plates' inside?! What are they supposed to be? I notice that the top plate has the adapter ring on it but why such a big plate and what's the bottom plate for?

Sorry, just curios about their design choice! :-)

1484769173000_1312201.jpg

The bottom plate is a tool to turn and tighten the diopter in to the adaptor. The adaptor / diopter combination screws into the camera body. So, first fit and tighten into the rear of the adaptor using the tool and that avoids putting finger marks on the glass. Second, fit adaptor into the camera. The diopter cannot be removed from the front.

The size of the tools and holder are sensibly designed to make handling the actual diopter much easier.

Edited by lucerne

Better eye coverage by buying the M10 specific diopter. And a lot easier.

Jeff

+1

I love the -3 on the M10! It is larger, clearer, and offers a brighter picture.

(one thing; my eyes lately have gotten better. I now use -3.25, down from -4.25. I am lucky!)

my two -4 diopters, and one -5 Leica diopter,(not made by Leica for 30 years or so), are useless. They sit in a drawer.

• 1 month later...

I have -2.25 myself. With the built-in -0.5, I always thought the -2.0 diopter was enough and have been using one for years.

This time, I actually tried -2.0 and -3.0. Turns out -3.0 is a spectacular difference. I would just get a few and try them out.

exactly same here!

did you finally go -2 or -3? thanks!