Diopters for the M10?

erlingmm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Since I was downtown today, I stopped at the Leica store in San Francisco and they have -2 and +2 diopters in stock.  ($150).  I bought the -2 as I am nearsighted (myopic) and need to peer over my photogray grey prescription glasses when I am outside.  They also had the step-down rings to use the old size diopter lens ($70).

kaethe

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this, specifically with regards to the feedback that the old diopter and thread adapter yields the same results as the new diopter. Anyone else's experience to confirm, not that I doubt the OP's feedback. Thanks!

Im not sure what you are asking, but I'll try.

same results as in it fits.

The old diopters can work with an adapter...but the new diopter is going to be a better solution as its larger and it doesn't require the adapter.

There is no variable diopter,

The new diopters for the M10 are listed on the M10 accessories & equipment page:

https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M10/Accessories-Equipment

There are errors in the order number list, e.g. the number on the picture of the 0.5 diopter is different from the one listed.

It seems to me that the list should be +3, +2, +1.5, +1, +0.5, ... with type numbers  24004, 24005, ...

Edited by Edax

I was going to buy a diopter. However on the third try out with the M10, I decided to simplify my requests. I WILL KEEP my distance glasses on and with the standard -0.5 diopter of the M10, I can focus using the rangefinder - much to my surprise.

You'll focus even better if you cancel the built in -0.5 with a +0.5

The contrast jumps just a bit more to make focussing more confidently

That's interesting Cliff. I will investigate that when I collect my M10.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been to an optician who explained to me that as the two relevant readings are -2.25 and 1.25 I should take a diopter of -2.25 + .65 = close enough to -3. So that is what I will test out in the Leica Store, and if it is correct will buy. 

That's interesting Cliff. I will investigate that when I collect my M10.

Note that this is by no means an universal finding. Whilst it may work for one person's specific eyes,consider that Leica gave it this value for good reason.

• Like 1

I have been to an optician who explained to me that as the two relevant readings are -2.25 and 1.25 I should take a diopter of -2.25 + .65 = close enough to -3. So that is what I will test out in the Leica Store, and if it is correct will buy. 

I have -2.25 myself. With the built-in -0.5, I always thought the -2.0 diopter was enough and have been using one for years.

This time, I actually tried -2.0 and -3.0. Turns out -3.0 is a spectacular difference. I would just get a few and try them out.

Hi I am new to Leica and am on the waiting list for an M10...

I am not sure of my Diopter adjustment, I should wear reading glasses but don't as its only a very slight correction...on a canon the diopter is set to -1 by default and I am -3 clicks (i think there are 8 clicks either way at +/- 2 diopters) 

So according to canon my diopter is -1 (default) + -3/4 (my diopter adjustment) = 1 3/4 total (or near enough -2 total) 

On leicas I have read the default is -0.5, so will i need -1.5 to hit -2 above....

Or will I just need the -0.5 (my difference from the default)

Does that make sense? 

No, it does not. Please read our FAQ. And disregard the -0.5. That is to bring the framelines and rangefinder patch within comfortable accommodation distance. It has nothing to do with eye correction, unless you get into higher values, in which case an expert could calculate the exact value. It is so much easier to simply try it out.

No, it does not. Please read our FAQ. And disregard the -0.5. That is to bring the framelines and rangefinder patch within comfortable accommodation distance. It has nothing to do with eye correction, unless you get into higher values, in which case an expert could calculate the exact value. It is so much easier to simply try it out.

..It does to me, thanks. I got this now..

Basically the canon diopter adjustment default is -1 vs leica's -0.5 (Thanks to you I know I can ignore these)

Therefore..given a canon diopter has 8 'clicks' of positive adjustment and 8 'clicks' of negative adjustment, (and a total of +/- 2 diopters either side of default) each 'click' is 0.25 of a diopter...My adjustment on canon is 3 'clicks' to the negative, therefore i should need a diopter of around -0.75.

So if I try the -0.5 and -1 my ideal should be one of them :)

Thanks 

Edited by TheVanguard

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This. of course, is the best way to choose a diopter ;)

• Like 1

I just want to point out a possible solution to some of you who may not know of it - mono vision contacts. One eye is corrected for close, one for distance. It doesn't work for everyone but can be a very practical compromise for photography