Why M240 users will (not) switch to M10

jmahto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/13/2023 at 12:21 PM, catacore said:

Resurecting an really old thread, while trying to resist GAS 🥺

Any news regarding the topic's title, now, that we have M11 alongside? Still around 2000 EUR difference between used M240 vs M10. Or 3000 EUR for M240 vs M10-P.

I just hope I will resist, just need some reasons. Please help! 🤣

Well, I do not have an M Type 240, but do love the M Type 246 Monochrom, which is in the 240-series. I also own an M10*. So, I can offer the following reasons to avoid “upgrading” to the M10:

1. Battery. The M10’s battery depletes noticeably more quickly, than its predecessor that powers the M 240/246/262. I do not recall ever having to change a battery, during a day of shooting with an M Type 246. Carrying spare batteries is more necessary, when using an M10. Buying spare M10 batteries seems to result in more “out of stock” situations, than with its predecessor, in my experience.

2. ISO Dial. While there is nothing really wrong with the M10’s ISO dial, it does not really facilitate quicker changing of ISO settings, especially when it is too dark to see the numerals printed on the dial. 

3. Thickness of the camera body. Yes, the M10 is slimmer, but, as the user of both M10 and M Type 246 cameras, this difference seems, to me, to be insignificant, except that it does enable a slightly better viewfinder experience, for those, such as myself, who wear eyeglasses while shooting.

4. Multi-function Handgrip. The Multifunction Handgrip adds GPS, more flash options, and the option of shooting with external power. No such handgrip exists, for the M10 or M11.

5. Video. This does not matter to all shooters, but, the M10 and M11 cannot shoot video.

6. The M-P Type 240, and M Type 246 Monochrom. Each of these offer technological advancements, that are not present in the M Type 240, so, are upgrades.

7. The M Type 262. This one does not offer any tech upgrades, but has a quieter shutter than the M 240, and the lack of holes, for a microphone, results in somewhat better weather resistance. (Of course, it is missing more than just the mic; there is no video capability.) Plus, it has that Minimalist Coolness. 😎

So, I do not regret starting the Leica M system with an M10, but, having the benefit of hindsight, I could, probably, be just as happy, using pre-M10 cameras.

*I bought the M10 first, in April 2018. After a mishap, with the M10, that required major repair, I found a pre-owned M 246 available for sale. I had learned that the M 246 actually performs better, in low light, at higher ISO, than the original M10. My M10 was not yet repaired, and I really wanted to “get back onto the horse that threw me,” so, I bought the M Type 246 Monochrom. (“Horse” is a metaphor, in the case. Part of my brain was telling me that my clumsy self should not be walking about with such expensive equipment.)

Edited by RexGig0
  • Like 5

Thanks, Rex, for your input.

I have to admit that I cooled down and, actually, am asking myself if M-system is really for me or not. I got very frustrated, lately, while composing my pictures through the OVF and finding out (when chimping) that the picture looks different framed than I wanted. And, sometimes, repeating the process (of framing while slightly adjusting my position) did not yield the result I was after.

So, basically, I am happy I have resisted the (compulsive/immature) temptation to upgrade. I, eventually, might reach the point of saying (like Mr. Leica's youtube video is titled): bye-bye Leica....

• Like 1

Continue using my M-E 240: bigger battery capacity is great, don't care for the ISO dial in the M10, camera thickness here doesn't bother me either. And yes, there is the price difference - used Leica M10s still go for $4K whereas very good M 240 series cameras can be obtained for $2.5K. Both the M 240 and the M10 easily clip highlights which was only better resolved with the M11. IMO the M 240 has the much better price/quality ratio. 

The M10-R or M11 on the other hand would be a more reasonable upgrades for a high price uptick. More modern sensors here with higher resolution even I love the colors produced in my M 240 (not sure if they are similar with the newer sensors). 

So far I haven't found even one occasion where I could have taken a photo only with a newer Leica M than my M-E 240. If I didn't get the shot right, it was caused by my own error. Okay, the M10 and M11 have better high ISO performance - but I rarely shoot in conditions where I require ISO > 1600. 

• Like 2

Regarding M10-R and M11 at 40-60 Mpx without IBIS - this is a no-go for me.

I noticed there are more M10-R's for sale on the used market than the sum of all the other digital M's. That must have a reason, and I suspect it is the one I mentioned above. Shooting at 4x FL is not an option for me (like never going below 1/125-1/250s).

2 hours ago, catacore said:

Regarding M10-R and M11 at 40-60 Mpx without IBIS - this is a no-go for me.

I noticed there are more M10-R's for sale on the used market than the sum of all the other digital M's. That must have a reason, and I suspect it is the one I mentioned above. Shooting at 4x FL is not an option for me (like never going below 1/125-1/250s).

Reason is mainly that users upgrade to the M11 from the M10 or M10-R. Not what I personally would do if I were a M10-R owner, but many fall on the hype of the presumably "better" M11. I agree though that IBIS is something I also wished to see latest in the M11. But I shoot adapted M lenses with Sony 40 MP MLCs and have no issue with the higher resolution when using the right ISO and exposure time. 

• 1 month later...

I’ve had my M240 almost 12 months I think.  I love the thing.  As an Australian to move into a M10 I’d be dropping nearly $4000 on top of what I’d get for my M240.  I just can’t rationalize that expense.  

I also think I’ve go so much to learn both in taking photos and post processing.  The M240 is perfect. I love the huge battery. 

i wonder how this photo of my son could be better if I had better ISO capabilities but then again I still captured a lovely moment of him sleeping under his fave night night lamp. Other than those small stars the room was pitch black.    Isn’t that what it’s about?  I’m just having fun! 

Edited by mmanda
  • Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, mmanda said:

i wonder how this photo of my son could be better if I had better ISO capabilities

if you use LR already, adobe has a new AI noise reduction algorithm.

i use DxO PureRaw. both LR and DxO totally transform the m240 at high ISO

the following images come from the m240 at ISO6400, the second image comes from DxO (only works on DNG)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sometimesmaybe said:

if you use LR already, adobe has a new AI noise reduction algorithm.

i use DxO PureRaw. both LR and DxO totally transform the m240 at high ISO

the following images come from the m240 at ISO6400, the second image comes from DxO (only works on DNG)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I use an iPad for my photos and LR. I need to find something iOS compatible.  I don’t think DxO is. 

7 hours ago, mmanda said:

I’ve had my M240 almost 12 months I think.  I love the thing.  As an Australian to move into a M10 I’d be dropping nearly $4000 on top of what I’d get for my M240.  I just can’t rationalize that expense.  

I also think I’ve go so much to learn both in taking photos and post processing.  The M240 is perfect. I love the huge battery. 

i wonder how this photo of my son could be better if I had better ISO capabilities but then again I still captured a lovely moment of him sleeping under his fave night night lamp. Other than those small stars the room was pitch black.    Isn’t that what it’s about?  I’m just having fun! 

It's absolutely what it's about.. capturing wonderful memories and moments like this!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 10:21 AM, catacore said:

Resurecting an really old thread, while trying to resist GAS 🥺

Any news regarding the topic's title, now, that we have M11 alongside? Still around 2000 EUR difference between used M240 vs M10. Or 3000 EUR for M240 vs M10-P.

I just hope I will resist, just need some reasons. Please help! 🤣

Can’t believe I started this thread and it is still going. 🙂

I would like to add my update. I am still with M240 and haven’t felt the urge to upgrade. I may upgrade in future but there is no rush 😀

One factor in my decision is shooting more film in last few years (acquired M2, IIIc and some more film cameras instead of digital upgrade). Film gets you off the mega pixel obsession.

I still shoot with M240. There is always a charged battery in my camera. I am still with my original two batteries and have never picked up my camera with a depleted battery (or ran out of battery during the day carrying my M240). I think that is the biggest strength. There should be no range anxiety wrt battery.

It is also that I shoot with it much less than I used to but it is still satisfying (shooting as well as the output). 

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 2

On 5/24/2019 at 10:04 AM, jmahto said:

My thoughts exactly. It seems I am done with upgrading unless a larger MP/lighter/betterEVF M appears on used market for half the initial price.

Thet means 2029 :)

It is still 2023!! 😀