M9 prices

hutchinson14

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With what looks a new Leica M being announced on Wednesday do people think the prices of used M9/M9-p will drop or remain the same. Reason for asking I am looking at a Leica M9-p which has just been back to Leica for sensor corrosion issue and don't want to find after Wednesday prices at dealers are lowered.

With what looks a new Leica M being announced on Wednesday do people think the prices of used M9/M9-p will drop or remain the same. Reason for asking I am looking at a Leica M9-p which has just been back to Leica for sensor corrosion issue and don't want to find after Wednesday prices at dealers are lowered.

If more people follow your example, the price will fall.

I can't see any reason for it to rise.

It will probably barely change.  

At casual glance prices have been  increasing for M9 bodies, M9-P the largest.  Attributed this (my best guess) to a lighter body with great image quality that may be superseded by the M240 series but not by much.  I kept mine along with an M240 because it is still delivers beautifully rendered images and Leica has been vigilant in their support.  

Edited by darylgo

I don't see M9 prices moving all that much. People still want these, they've already dropped pretty well over time and Leica is replacing sensors as needed for free whether the camera was bought new or used. How many 7 year-old full-frame digital cameras are still supported like that?

You know at some point, some day, that support will end, not so much the sensor as other hardware/electronic parts that will eventually not be obtainable, but Nikon D3S bodies that also came out in 2009 for $5,200 can now be had for less than half what a second-hand M9 or M9-P still brings.

Chap on the German forum wrote today, that one praises a camera in fora the most right before selling it.

Nevertheless, my M8 and my M9 have recently been to Wetzlar and are both like clockwork again. Cost me more for the M8, though.

It is a wise decision what Leica does for M9 owners now, after what we did for Leica at the turn of the decade. No, I'm not selling either.

I can buy all the 240s I want, but have never been motivated to leave M9. Mildly interested in monochrome, but B&W from M9 is actually pretty darn good. I agree it is, on paper, inferior to many other newer cameras. But, as a poster in another forum put it, "when YOU get everything right, the M9 lets you knock it out of the park." That sums it up for me. The closest thing to a digital film camera we will ever see. "CCD vs. CMOS?" If the M10 equals or exceeds M9 files <<< to my eyes >>>> I'll buy one in a heartbeat, regardless of sensor technology.

• Like 1

A Munich Leica dealer now demands € 4,150 for a Leica refurbished M9-P.
A quarter ago, he already wanted € 3,600, which was already much too expensive.
This dealer should not find buyers because of such non realistic price increases until he finally will demand fair prices.
With the M10 every now existing Leica will become older by one technical generation.
This should hopefully drop the prices for second-hand Leicas - apart from the special collector models.

I bought mine new years ago when it was in the catalog, although at its end of life. I don't mind as long as it works perfectly. I recently get the sensor changed. As a tool, I don't see the point of upgrading for now...

But this is my point of view.

Thanks for your comments. I decided to go and get another Leica M9-p. It is from a camera dealer and has just been back to Leica for sensor change, also from the paper work I gather the control board and the printed circuit have been replaced. Also it says the bottom plate is scratched but I can not see where and it has a protective film on it. The back originally had some of the white lettering missing from the back but I cannot see this on the camera. So it looks like Leica have done a good job.

• Like 2

Now everybody starting to see again M9 is the best one. ;)

Not really unfortunately. I came across today of a decent offer for a used M9 with exchanged sensor in a photo store nearby and decided to have a look at it since I read so many good things about the M9 and its CCD sensor. Fortunately I took my M6 plus 35/2 lens with me as comparison. First, I was disappointed by the M9 viewfinder compared to the M6 - much larger extension factor, less view outside the frame lines compared to the M6. This alone was a deal breaker for me. Then I took some pictures inside the store with the M9 - and was disappointed by the created files and the display on the back. When magnified, I could see a lot of pixelation caused by the lower resolution for nowadays standards. At higher ISO, this got really bad (not such big issue for me since I normally stay below ISO 1600). I also found that the shutter once released blanked out too long independent on the used exposure time (probably still okay since I normally shoot single images and not several frames in a row). At this point I gave up further evaluation the otherwise well maintained M9 because I didn't find it worthy to spend $2400 on it. I appreciate my M6 now a lot more!

Edited by Martin B

Thanks for your comments. I decided to go and get another Leica M9-p. It is from a camera dealer and has just been back to Leica for sensor change, also from the paper work I gather the control board and the printed circuit have been replaced. Also it says the bottom plate is scratched but I can not see where and it has a protective film on it. The back originally had some of the white lettering missing from the back but I cannot see this on the camera. So it looks like Leica have done a good job.

You won't regret it I think.   The impression I get about the M9 is that it's held to a different standard than the M240 because of its now discontinued CCD sensor.  It seems like the value of the M9 will always hold up for a long while yet until Leica runs out of parts to service/repair it at some point in the future.  And even then, they will probably offer some kind of a deal to upgrade. 

You have to give time for M9 to read the file, once it is finished reading it, no pixelation.  M9 sensor gives very high resolution at low ISO. It outperforms my ex-Canon DSLR with Canon best macro lens. 

Sorry, but if either the display on the back shows severe pixelation under magnification or in the files itself it is a dealbreaker. My Canon 5D MkII display was much better in this regard! 

Not really unfortunately. I came across today of a decent offer for a used M9 with exchanged sensor in a photo store nearby and decided to have a look at it since I read so many good things about the M9 and its CCD sensor. Fortunately I took my M6 plus 35/2 lens with me as comparison. First, I was disappointed by the M9 viewfinder compared to the M6 - much larger extension factor, less view outside the frame lines compared to the M6. This alone was a deal breaker for me. Then I took some pictures inside the store with the M9 - and was disappointed by the created files and the display on the back. When magnified, I could see a lot of pixelation caused by the lower resolution for nowadays standards. At higher ISO, this got really bad (not such big issue for me since I normally stay below ISO 1600). I also found that the shutter once released blanked out too long independent on the used exposure time (probably still okay since I normally shoot single images and not several frames in a row). At this point I gave up further evaluation the otherwise well maintained M9 because I didn't find it worthy to spend $2400 on it. I appreciate my M6 now a lot more!

it has a low resolution lcd not a low resolution sensor, maybe that m9 had other faults.

Sorry, but if either the display on the back shows severe pixelation under magnification or in the files itself it is a dealbreaker. My Canon 5D MkII display was much better in this regard! 

I have no idea why for some rear display is something they can't take quality pictures without. Never problem for me with Canon 5D (my first FF camera) and M-E (now). I know what I'm doing with focus, I know what DoF is, I know how pictures looks like on the screen with different ISO; all I need is one second to check exposure and framing. 

But I'm totally agree on 5D MKII, yes, display is good and this is all I could say positive about this camera, ditched it within couple of months. 

• Like 1