"Leica M10 - Expect Simplicity" (overgaard.dk)

Overgaard

• 5 years later...
On 1/15/2017 at 9:20 AM, Overgaard said:

I've updated my "The Worlds (Possibly) Longest Camera Review" with a new chapter:

"Leica M10 - Expect Simplicity"

Enjoy!

Can you please post a link that goes directly to this new chapter?

I tried the original link, but couldn't find what you describe.

Thanks!

(Maybe I'm way too late to be asking, now that I see the dates above...   Sorry)

Edited by MikeMyers
  • Haha 1

For reasons I don't understand, maybe because I'm in India now, I'm seeing very old discussions.  I didn't realize this discussion was from 2017.  He wrote "I've updated my "The Worlds (Possibly) Longest Camera Review" with a new chapter:" and I thought the link would take me to that "new" chapter that maybe I hadn't yet read.

I thought there were two forum areas, "international" and one more for the USA.  I'm not seeing what I expected to see, but  I will be home in a few days, and I'm sure things will look normal again.  When I was home in the USA, there was a set of forums on the opening page, and the international forum was below it, further down...   I think.

Yes, "very long" is certainly accurate, but there were gems of information scattered all over that I made note of.

Hello Mike,

The top part of the Leica Forum page is the "International" part that is in English in the USofA.

Further down on the same page is the "German Forum" which is a separate Forum in German. It is NOT a translation of the International Forum written in English.

And below the German Forum there are some other things to look at & read.

The 2 little flags at the top right corner of the page allow a person to translate back & forth from English to German so that readers in both languages can read the other language Forum.

These little flags generally work reasonably well. Sometimes you have to "click" them more than once. And sometimes if you do NOT "click" back to the language you started in: What appears is something translated & then translated back: Which is not exactly what it was before translation.

So remember to "click" back to English if you finish reading a translated version of the German Language Forum:

And then go back to read the English language International Forum.

Hopefully you are having a good time & are able to find nice subjects to photograph.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Thank you - I think I was having some kind of internet problem, that sorted itself out a few hours later.  Thanks for the advice - will remember for future use.

Having a reasonably good time, but it's way too hot.  Yes, finding subjects to photograph - if I come again, I'll bring one of my Leica cameras.  Am selling off most of my DSLR stuff.

Different people have different ideas on how "to use" a Leica.  I think the first step is to get rid of my other camera gear.  Otherwise, I get "lazy".

On 9/14/2022 at 2:01 PM, MikeMyers said:

Thank you - I think I was having some kind of internet problem, that sorted itself out a few hours later.  Thanks for the advice - will remember for future use.

Having a reasonably good time, but it's way too hot.  Yes, finding subjects to photograph - if I come again, I'll bring one of my Leica cameras.  Am selling off most of my DSLR stuff.

Different people have different ideas on how "to use" a Leica.  I think the first step is to get rid of my other camera gear.  Otherwise, I get "lazy".

U gotta be idealist with M mike lol, it’s like u r left with no options to choose

On 9/15/2022 at 1:36 PM, jakontil said:

U gotta be idealist with M mike lol, it’s like u r left with no options to choose

I have been through this before.  I return home with the best intentions of properly becoming one with my M, but something comes up and I do what I'm used to.  I've watched lots of YouTube videos on the M, some of which I agreed with, but not all.  I read the whole page from Mr. Oergaard, some of which I highlighted, and then I watched most of the Red Dot Forum Q&A sessions.

Overgaaard seems to have the "best" advice, and the Red Dot discussions favor the "easiest" advice.  Life was easier with my M2, sort out an exposure, and focus on eyes.

You've got to understand, but to ME, the M10 is not some fine piece of jewelry, it's a tool, and the M10 to a photographer (to me) is like a wrench for a mechanic.  It is the tool to get something done, not the ultimate piece of machinery to be worshipped.  ......and just like any tool, I need to learn how to use it properly.  Abusing it is like using a micrometer for a glue clamp.  Starting this weekend, I'll see how things go, and ask for help if needed.

• Like 1

@MikeMyers your M10 is still very much like your M2, use it the same way. 

When I got my M10-R, I set the menus and options how I needed them and apart from a few tweaks I’ve not really changed anything since. I set everything else manually and use it just like my M4-P, except it has its own light meter. 

Thanks; yeah, use it like I used my M2 half most of a lifetime ago.

To be honest, I mostly need to learn NOT to use it like my Nikon DSLR cameras.  I got lots of good tips, several of which vary depending on who said them.  

As I see it, I need to pre-set the ISO, or maybe leave it on auto.  I know it's for me to select the aperture.  I suspect I should select a shutter speed, then verify that the auto-ISO is within reason.  The guys at Camera Talk leave more things on Auto.

Still unpacking my suitcases.  When that's done, I need to charge up my M10 batteries, then start using it every day, and forget about my other cameras, maybe sell them, or give them away.  If I can use the M10 properly, the M3 should be about the same. 

Maybe tonight I'll re-read the Bible from Overgaarde.  His ideas matched my thoughts better than the Red Dot Forum guys.