Personal experiences with the Noctilux f/0.95?

jayvernl

Question. I have the Noctilux 50/1 V3. I love it, but I would have the chance to trade it in and just pay a little on top to get a brand new 50/0.95! Yes or no?

You are the only one to answer ;).

Why not try the 0.95 then decide.

If 700g and a big VF coverage "loss" don't bother you, why not.

You are the only one to answer ;).

Why not try the 0.95 then decide.

If 700g and a big VF coverage "loss" don't bother you, why not.

It´s "only" 120g heavier and as far as I know the VF blockage is less (without hood) than with the 50/1 I own. So I could live with that. I also use a lot of Live view for f1. Probably need to touch one and play around.

LFI 2/2011 has a comparison between the 50/0.95 and the v4(?) 50/1 which is worth a read.

I considered getting the v4 f/1, but I found it was expensive (USD 8,000.00), the focus shift concerned me (I had the M9 and Monochrom at the time) and I found the "swirly bokeh" just too distracting.  I eventually bought a Summitar 50/2 which had the similar effect for $500.00.  SO, I went for the 50/0.95 and couldn't be happier.

Many will say that the Noctilux is a one trick pony, best used only wide open (von Overgaard), otherwise what is the point of buying such an expensive lens when the one stop slower Summilux ASPH is so much cheaper.  I disagree - I am happy to use my Noctilux as my standard 50 at all apertures.  If I'm traveling, it is a useful lens to take as it is excellent on the SL, doesn't suffer from purpose brining on the Monochrom, and gives me low light options as well as being an excellent standard lens at "normal" apertures.

It is expensive, and it is heavy.  Somehow, I didn't mind the former when I bought it, and I don't mind the latter.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

LFI 2/2011 has a comparison between the 50/0.95 and the v4(?) 50/1 which is worth a read.

I considered getting the v4 f/1, but I found it was expensive (USD 8,000.00), the focus shift concerned me (I had the M9 and Monochrom at the time) and I found the "swirly bokeh" just too distracting.  I eventually bought a Summitar 50/2 which had the similar effect for $500.00.  SO, I went for the 50/0.95 and couldn't be happier.

Many will say that the Noctilux is a one trick pony, best used only wide open (von Overgaard), otherwise what is the point of buying such an expensive lens when the one stop slower Summilux ASPH is so much cheaper.  I disagree - I am happy to use my Noctilux as my standard 50 at all apertures.  If I'm traveling, it is a useful lens to take as it is excellent on the SL, doesn't suffer from purpose brining on the Monochrom, and gives me low light options as well as being an excellent standard lens at "normal" apertures.

It is expensive, and it is heavy.  Somehow, I didn't mind the former when I bought it, and I don't mind the latter.

That should be "purple fringing" - thanks auto correct!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I considered getting the v4 f/1, but I found it was expensive (USD 8,000.00), the focus shift concerned me (I had the M9 and Monochrom at the time) and I found the "swirly bokeh" just too distracting.

Thanks. I own the V3 and paid only 4k. I really enjoy the swirl, cause it is still really creamy. Haven´t experienced any focus shift yet, cause I shoot it at f1 with an ND filter or f5.6-f8.

Hey, enjoy the experience of a pioneer and try a Canon 50mm ƒ0.95. :)

Google Canon 50mm 0.95

That´s a littel too much character for my taste, but I know this lens pretty well. I own a Canon FD 55/1.2 SSC ASPH, too.

At least the Rolex will appreciate in value. I'm not so sure about my Noctilux 50mm 0.95 appreciating in value.

What happens if your wife already owns a Rolex?

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

At least the Rolex will appreciate in value. I'm not so sure about my Noctilux 50mm 0.95 appreciating in value.

What happens if your wife already owns a Rolex?

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Piaget.

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I've come here while reading all available information about the Noctilux 0.95, because I'm about to buy a mint one at a price that I cannot refuse... 

I'm planning to use it on my Sony A7RII (rangefinder cameras, Leica or not, are not in my road map, for several reasons), and, perhaps, on the new Nikon Z7, because its much thinner sensor stack looks really promising for M lenses. My experience with Leica lenses is very limited, but strong at the same time: currently I only have a Summilux-R 50mm  (E55, first version), but I've owned a couple of Noctiluxes (can we make plural form of Noctilux?) f1. The first one was returned to the seller because it had oily blades (he first stated it was perfect), and the second one was very pleasantly used for a whole year, and then sold because of a personal problem. While I owned the Noct I was continuously struggling with myself, because I'm just a hobbyist-enthusiast photographer (although I sell pictures regularly through stock agencies and get some appointments every now and then, I'm not a pro by any mean), and, heck, it is so much money, isn't it. However, after selling it, when I examined the 4.000 pictures I had taken with it, I missed that incredible rendering so much! (and I'm not talking just about bokeh, which is, of course, unparalleled). 

Now I'm very happy with the Summilux-R (I know the last version is supposed to be much better, but it is also very expensive). I mean REALLY happy. I DO love how it renders. It is also small  and light (I'm a former DSLR user). So I said to myself: as the Zeiss 55mm 1.2 is way too expensive, as it is any Noctilux, the seek for the perfect (to my taste) fast 50 has ended (I've tried many fast fifties, loving the vintage ones, but they are far from perfect, and not loving at all modern Chinese alternatives ; the Voigtlander Nokton f/1.1 was also nice, but I disliked its bokeh). And right when I had almost given up searching: alas, the offered Noct 0.95!

I hope I could have it in my hands next week. And I must say I'm nothing less but thrilled...

Regards from Spain!

• Like 1

Welcome to the world of Leica - the outrageously expensive system with marginal image quality improvement that we creatively rationalize the purchase. :)

That said, I made the jump a year ago with the purchase of my first Leica, the M10. I have since purchased a second M10 body and an assortment of Leica lenses including the Noctilux 50 f0.95.

I'm keeping my Fuji X system for the excellent zooms and longer lenses.

Regards,
Bud James

1 hour ago, budjames said:

Welcome to the world of Leica - the outrageously expensive system with marginal image quality improvement that we creatively rationalize the purchase. :)

That said, I made the jump a year ago with the purchase of my first Leica, the M10. I have since purchased a second M10 body and an assortment of Leica lenses including the Noctilux 50 f0.95.

I'm keeping my Fuji X system for the excellent zooms and longer lenses.

Regards,
Bud James

Many thanks!

I'm afraid that some of us have become much better at rationalizing purchases than taking pictures!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Noctilux renders beautifully at any aperture this photo was taken with an MM - these days I prefer to use the Noctilux on my SL - perfect balance and much easier focusing.

Pete

Edited by PeterGA
spelling

I had it, loved it, but sold it.

F0.95 for me is like an exaggeration of 50luxasph. How it deals with the oof is the lux with adrenaline. And 50 summilux asph is so far my favorite 50mm.

The similarity was one of the reasons I sold it. With narrower apertures (from F1.4,) the summilux is, to me, a better lens in every aspect, so I decided to part with 0.95 and keep the summilux. The other reasons are: it's too heavy for a rangefinder system, and it's too expensive.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, indergaard said:

The Noctilux is a nice lens. I purchased a new one some years ago. Kept it for a year then sold it without much loss. The current used prices seems to be a lot lower. I would not repurchase it again.

i wrote about it here: https://indergaard.net/2014/09/19/leica-noctilux-m-50mm-f0-95-asph-review/

I knew your thoughtful review (and enjoyed the great pictures!). It's nice meeting you around here now! I wouldn't buy the Noctilux either... unless I had a good offer for a totally mint one at a very good price. And then, I had it! :)  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PeterGA said:

The Noctilux renders beautifully at any aperture this photo was taken with an MM - these days I prefer to use the Noctilux on my SL - perfect balance and much easier focusing.

Pete

Sure! It is an addictive lens. Focusing such lenses with a Sony is much easier than with a rangefinder. Everyone also says the SL is great, but I can't say anything about any Leica camera.... Never had one in my hands!

3 hours ago, me111 said:

I had it, loved it, but sold it.

F0.95 for me is like an exaggeration of 50luxasph. How it deals with the oof is the lux with adrenaline. And 50 summilux asph is so far my favorite 50mm.

The similarity was one of the reasons I sold it. With narrower apertures (from F1.4,) the summilux is, to me, a better lens in every aspect, so I decided to part with 0.95 and keep the summilux. The other reasons are: it's too heavy for a rangefinder system, and it's too expensive.

Sure, the price is outrageous. I have a Summilux 50, but the R (first version) which I do love. I was hesitating between the absolute perfection (Lux asph) and the absolute madness (Noctilux), but I'm afraid I'm mad about superfast lenses... :)