The view through older Glass

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There has been a long and excellent thread running since January 2010 called "M8 and Old Glass", which contains many beautiful pictures using older lenses on M8's. I've wanted to contribute to the thread for some time since I've been experimenting with older glass but most of my shots now are with my M9-P or M2 and are out of place in that thread, so I decided to start a new thread that's not tied to a particular camera so that we can all benefit from seeing what older lenses can do.   Please

Those are lovely shots, Chaps, and thanks for the support.   Dirk, I've seen those superb shots before and they caused to me to lust after a 73/1.9 but I overcame the lust over time. But now it's started again! Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!:D.   Pete.   M9-P with 1947 CZJ 50/2 Sonnar in Contax RF mount. Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Ha

Nice idea Pete! i love old lenses!   Here are a few from an old pre-war Hektor 7.3cm f1.9:   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!Hektor 7.3cm ƒ1.9 *1932 by teknopunk.com, on Flickr   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!Hektor 7.3cm ƒ1.9 *1932 by teknopunk.com, on Flickr  

Posted Images

On 9/24/2012 at 7:38 AM, JeffoJeffo said:

Hi, Menos :

I fully agrees with you. I have almost full range of Leica lenses but I have not touch them for a long time. Shooting with Leica lenses, I can expect how the photo will comes out (not talking about compositon, etc..) I refer to the taste and mood. However with the old lenses, I really don't know what it can offers until I press the shutter. The modern lenses are too perfect (guide by computers and banch marks) but our eyes doesn't lies...so you will see the differences that old lens are more fun in terms of contrast, tone and rendering. I am still fastinated by them, the manufacturing optical flaws becomes the signature of each old lens.

I am thinking about your question of why the manufacturers do not make "old vintage" lenses.  It is a good question.  But a trip over to eBay will answer the question.  How can the current manufacturers compete with the available old lenses and the small demand low prices for them?  If they were insanely popular their prices would rise and make reproduction a commercial  possibility.  But as we can harvest many of these wonderful vintage lenses inexpensively I think no one will rush to make new versions.  Good thing for us, too.  ;o)  For the price of one new Leica lens we can collect an awfully lot of these vintage beauties.  Isn't it nice when the free market works in our favor!

Follow the guide (but keep your social distance)

M10 + 2000 CV Color-Skopar 35/2.5 LTM

Minolta Chiyoko 3.5cm F3.5, in Leica Thread Mount. This lens was introduced in 1956, this one probably manufactured in 1957.

This is a 4-element in 3 group lens, similar to a Leica 3.5cm 3.5 Elmar and Nikkor 3.5cm F3.5.

It features double-coated optics, named "Achromatic Coated" by Minolta. It is reputed to be the first lens brought to market with this new process. I suspect the simplicity and size of the optics went into that decision. It was not a popular lens due to the slow maximum aperture, and a couple hundred ever made. Most were in a proprietary mount for the Minolta Super.

Not enough space above to post the group portrait of Minolta Chiyoko LTM lenses above, I'll post some pictures taken with these in the future.

35/2.5, 45/2.8, 50/2.8, 50/2, 50/1.8, 85/2.8, 110/5.6, 135/4. (posted in mm, lenses marked in cm). Late 40s through late 50s.

When lava started flowing down to the sea, the inhabitants of ancient Herculaneum had nowhere to go and got buried alongside their prized possessions.

M10 + 2000 CV Color-Skopar 35/2.5 LTM

The Eisenmarkt in the Holy City, 1933 Leica III with 1932 Elmar 3.5cm f3.5. Tmax400 at 250 in Ilford  Perceptol 1;2

Edited by Charles Morgan

Another uncommon lens, the Canon 50/2.2, manufactured for only 6 months. Maybe 3000 or so made, it was an economy lens with 5 elements. This is one of the first 100 made. These are wide-open. This lens is much better than the reputation. Big glass elements, I am guessing the lens used less expensive glass than the 50/1.8 and 50/1.4.

Somehow I've ended up with more than 100 lenses in Leica mount, the oldest being 1934.

Edited by BrianS

Well, I'll try and do better posting this time.  This is a photo of my affordable Porsch Spyder aka porch spider taken with an M9, Viso III w/bellows handheld.  The Viso has a short mount 135m F:/2.8 Elmarit .  Hand held due to location on our front porch.

Edited by Ronazle
word redundancy