farnz

The view through older Glass

Ron, isn't your Summicron of 1961 commonly referred to as type II rigid? The collapsible is Summicron I, and the following type (1956-1968) is II and it refers to both the dual range and the rigid version.

Lex

Well, the reason I made the post is that I did a quick check in the Wiki and saw that it was a type I; this registered as accurate in that I recalled how the collapsible and first rigid were at one time considered identical lenses except for the mount;  this never seemed right to me considering, among other things, the width of the mount. After the Wiki check I made the first of the  two erroneous (by one criterion or the other) posts. After your post I grabbed a "Puts" book and verified what you are saying. So, I guess either I or II is correct; I think I will never again use Roman numerals inre Leica lenses. Regards, Ron

AFAIC, I refer to the Collapsible as v1 and the Rigid/DR as v2. If only because they (or at least my copies) render very differently - colours in particular.

AFAIC, I refer to the Collapsible as v1 and the Rigid/DR as v2. If only because they (or at least my copies) render very differently - colours in particular.

Hmmm..... and I thought I was the only one who saw a major difference in the rendition (for lack of a long description) between the collapsible and rigid first versions, whatever they were/are/should be called. Regards, Ron

Paul, I was puzzled for a minute which camera you used. Is it the M-D, or the analog MD? I like the phot a lot, very nice tones and good composition.

Lex

Paul, I was puzzled for a minute which camera you used. Is it the M-D, or the analog MD? I like the phot a lot, very nice tones and good composition.

Lex

Ah yes.. sorry.. It is the M-D. And thanks for the compliment

A few samples of the Summaron 3.5cm f3.5 on the M240.

This lens is insanely sharp even wide open, and renders colors beautifully like modern lenses.

Leica M240 + Summaron 3.5cm F3.5 by Alex Aguilera, on Flickr

And these are my first samples from my recently acquired Summaron 35/2.8 M3 version.

Also an amazing lens by modern standards. These 3 shots had VERY minor adjustments. 

Cant wait to see how the lens performs on my current film roll. Expect some film samples of this lens sometime next week.

Summaron 35mm f2.8 by Alex Aguilera, on Flickr

Ibou by JM__, on Flickr

Abel by JM__, on Flickr

Abel by JM__, on Flickr

85 Canon 1.8 LTM on MMv1

I recently acquired this Elmarit-M 28mm version 4 and I'm very, very happy with it!

ISO 160 f5.6 +2/3 EV on Leica M9

Storm coming in!

It solved my choice-of-lens problem: One lens only - Summicron 35 ASPH, two lenses - Elmarit-M 28 & Summicron 50 (IV). And if I feel really strong all three plus Tele-Elmarit 90 

. I guess all four of them would qualify for this forum thread.

... It solved my choice-of-lens problem: One lens only - Summicron 35 ASPH, two lenses - Elmarit-M 28 & Summicron 50 (IV). And if I feel really strong all three plus Tele-Elmarit 90 

. I guess all four of them would qualify for this forum thread.

If the 35/2 Summicron-M asph is the current model then I regret that it wouldn't qualify.  (Please refer to what I wrote in the opening post in this thread.)  The other 3 lenses certainly would so please feel free to post pictures with these.

Pete.

If the 35/2 Summicron-M asph is the current model then I regret that it wouldn't qualify.  (Please refer to what I wrote in the opening post in this thread.)  The other 3 lenses certainly would so please feel free to post pictures with these.

Pete.

Thanks, Pete! Mine is the first Summicron 35 ASPH – 11882 – the heavy chromed brass lens. Serial number puts it to 2002. I wonder if the latest – 11673/4 has changed optically. It still seems to be a 7/5 design and from the illustrations I can find the elements look the same. Has the glass and coating changed? And how it renders color, contrast etc.? Anyone?

I'm hesitant to post any pictures taken with it in this thread because it is so "new".

Edited by anachronist