The view through older Glass

farnz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another from the Rollei 40/2.8 Sonnar HFT.

And a 150% crop to show the subject I was shooting.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

farnz

There has been a long and excellent thread running since January 2010 called "M8 and Old Glass", which contains many beautiful pictures using older lenses on M8's. I've wanted to contribute to the thread for some time since I've been experimenting with older glass but most of my shots now are with my M9-P or M2 and are out of place in that thread, so I decided to start a new thread that's not tied to a particular camera so that we can all benefit from seeing what older lenses can do.   Please

farnz

Those are lovely shots, Chaps, and thanks for the support.   Dirk, I've seen those superb shots before and they caused to me to lust after a 73/1.9 but I overcame the lust over time. But now it's started again! Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!:D.   Pete.   M9-P with 1947 CZJ 50/2 Sonnar in Contax RF mount. Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Ha

menos I M6

Nice idea Pete! i love old lenses!   Here are a few from an old pre-war Hektor 7.3cm f1.9:   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!Hektor 7.3cm ƒ1.9 *1932 by teknopunk.com, on Flickr   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!Hektor 7.3cm ƒ1.9 *1932 by teknopunk.com, on Flickr  

Posted Images

Picked up an M2 and 90mm collapsable Elmar a few days ago. This is from the first roll through it. I love the look of this lens, even though it is a little slower than I'd like.

Beautiful portrait - and yes, this 90 Elmar is a sleeper!

I always wanted one, but didn't find a nice sample yet, to make a nice set with my 35 + 50.

35 summilux pre asph + M8

boarding gate 11 by careca2013, on Flickr

Eiffel bridge Girona by careca2013, on Flickr

A few from the TE 135

Climbing Lesson

M3, Ektachrome 100G

Distant Hills

M3, Tri-X

ah - the tele-elmar 135... great lens- who said you can't focus 135's on an M:rolleyes:?

This is an early one from the late 60's:

ferrari on manhattan street m9 tele elmar f4/135 (v1, 1965 vintage) ..... for $500 i think it was a great deal!

A Ferrari in mint condition for $500 is sure a great deal!

Cheers,

Bruno

Nice one Dirk. That Nikkor is one I've had my eyes on for a while. Any idea how it renders compared to Canon's screw mount equivalent?

I'm happy there are othes who enjoy the 135mm focal length. Here's another one from my Surfers gallery. All images were was shot with a 1938 Hektor 13,5cm/4.5 and a 90 Elmarit-M.

This image is from the Hektor stopped down to 11 or thereabouts.

Surfer | Flickr

One shot from my "P&S" M8 + Lomo 150mm combo...

Lomo 150mm T3.1 on M8 by careca2013, on Flickr

and the duo:

150mm Lomo on M8 by careca2013, on Flickr

Lomo 150 T3.1 w/ M8 by careca2013, on Flickr

Edited by jmanivelle

Nice one Dirk. That Nikkor is one I've had my eyes on for a while. Any idea how it renders compared to Canon's screw mount equivalent?

I do not know, how it compares to the Canon 50mm LTM lenses, but compared to my Canon .95 it is very, very different.

The 5cm ƒ1.4 Nikkor-S.C was something like the Leica 50 Summilux ASPH of the 1950s.

Back then it was possibly the highest performing 50/1.4 available for still cameras, running circles around Contax and Leitz glass.

Even by todays standards, it is still very impressive from f2 on.

It is a bit of a shape shifter, glowing strongly wide open (perfect portrait lens for pleasant skin) and sharpens up extremely just half a stop down, getting a very bold, modern, sharp and contrasty look from f2 - f2.8 on.

What is most impressive about this lens though is not just it's imaging compared to contemporary or even modern lenses, but that it does this magic in one very compact package to close focussing of just under 0.5m (!!!).

Leitz needed more then 20 years to come up with a lens, that could provide similar features, but only opened to ƒ2 !

There is a saying, that every rangefinder shooter needs a Nikkor-S.C 5cm and the one, who sells it again is a fool!

Nice thing about them is also, that this lens is a Sonnar design, giving a very unique rendering and the beautiful Sonnar balls of light in the background.

Here is a shot, when I was fooling around with the uncoupled close focus distance on the MM - ISO6400 1/60sec f1.4 ~0.5m:

Nikkor-S.C 5cm f1.4 + MM | ISO6400 | close focus by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

Jean-Marc - that Lomo looks like a beast!

Is it focus coupled or do you shoot it at infinity?

Dirk/Menos wrote:

Jean-Marc - that Lomo looks like a beast!

Is it focus coupled or do you shoot it at infinity?

Yes Dirk, it is a beast hence my nicknaming this combo a P&S as it's not RF coupled and the infinity not on the mark after stacking the OCT19 to EOS + EOS to Leica M adapters...

To make it even more fun, the viewfinder becomes useless ...

I supported the weight by holding the lens itself in the hand relieving the M body mount from any strain.

viewfinder M8 w/150 LOMO

Edited by jmanivelle

Here a few shots using the Taylor Hobson Reid collapsible 2" f2 ltm with Leica M Monochorm.

Took this lens for a ride this week ~~~

Sharing a French Romance lens : Boyer Saphir 60mm f1.4 on M9 Ti ~~~

Beautiful shots, Jeff. I particularly like the 'steam' coming out of the teapot in the first, the 'tiara' on the lady's head in the third and the 'beams' coming out of the flash in the fifth picture.

Pete.

Kitten update 3:

I have now found good homes for all 6 kittens- but I am keeping them together for another week or more- I can't bear to split them up just yet.

about three weeks into caring - bathing captured with the 1970's f1 Noctilux again- only this time well stopped down and with an old flash on the M9:

Edited by jaques