The view through older Glass

farnz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Angenieux S21 50mm f1.5 +m9p in a rainly day~~~

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by JeffoJeffo
typos...
  • Like 10

Sharing a very unique lens (apparently only 3 of this type were made)....

Cooke Double Speed 28mm f2....this is how it looks like mount on a M9p :D

and a shot buy this lens. It's so big that you have to guess focus. Looks like it will work much better on Nex 7 or the new Leica M that is coming out soon.

Cooke double speed 28mm f2 + M9p

• Like 13

1965 Summicron 50 rigid

Sony NEX-5 ISO 800

flowers 125th f2

dress 640th f2

100% crop into dress photo (!)

LR4 and PSCS5 using minimal Nik DFine noise reduction

bw conversion in PS

• Like 8

JeffoJeffo, thanks for sharing all these incredible pics, you seem like the man to ask....

I'm looking for a 35mm, or thereabouts, lens that exhibits these kind of interesting and dreamy bokeh characteristics.

Apart from the Cooke Double Speed here (which is incredible btw) do you know of any others that are accessible and can be adapted for rangefinder focussing?

I dread to think of the value of your lens collection but I'm very pleased they're used in your skilful hands.

Pete

Let's put the value of the lenses aside and let's share what these lenses can offer us with the latest technology.

Even using the cine lens on film is another world.......

Som Berthiod 55mm f1.5 + M7 + Fuji Pro 100

• Like 7

JeffoJeffo, thanks for sharing all these incredible pics, you seem like the man to ask....

I'm looking for a 35mm, or thereabouts, lens that exhibits these kind of interesting and dreamy bokeh characteristics.

Apart from the Cooke Double Speed here (which is incredible btw) do you know of any others that are accessible and can be adapted for rangefinder focussing?

Hi Paul...I am not the expert but I can tell you what I know. Most of the old 35mm lenses won't cover FF. And most likely the 40-50mm or above will cover FF (not all). I would suggest you to look for Taylor Hobson Cooke Speed Panchro 50mm f/2. This one is can off good 3D and bokeh that you might look for.

Each brand offers different type of bokeh and even the same brand same lens can be different since they were hand made. Therefore..it's always fastinating to play with this old glasses.

Enclosed a photo using Cooke Speed Panchro Ser II 50mm f2 + M9

• Like 5

Hi Paul...I am not the expert but I can tell you what I know. Most of the old 35mm lenses won't cover FF. And most likely the 40-50mm or above will cover FF (not all). I would suggest you to look for Taylor Hobson Cooke Speed Panchro 50mm f/2. This one is can off good 3D and bokeh that you might look for.

Each brand offers different type of bokeh and even the same brand same lens can be different since they were hand made. Therefore..it's always fastinating to play with this old glasses.

Enclosed a photo using Cooke Speed Panchro Ser II 50mm f2 + M9

Thanks Jeff, yes I've experienced that frustration with experimenting with old petzval lenses. Quite the lottery.

Thanks for your insights, much appreciated. That Cooke Speed Panchro is incredible.

• Like 1

Thanks Jeff, yes I've experienced that frustration with experimenting with old petzval lenses. Quite the lottery.

Thanks for your insights, much appreciated. That Cooke Speed Panchro is incredible.

I have one Ross London 6" f3.5 petzval old brass lens which I remount on S2 few weeks back. Still not fully test it yet but here are a shot from this combination.

• Like 2

Sharing another old lens from Astro Berlin Pan Tachar-C 150mm f1.8 on S2 body.

It's quite big and heavy but produce superb bokeh with fine details...

• Like 5

by comparison the Japanese made Accurar 35mm f2.8 LTM lens demonstrated here is absolutely tiny. It is a rare lens I think, possibly a re-branded Acai lens? Dates from the 1950's I would guess:

• Like 4

I say with a smile on my face, Contrast, finally!

I happy you like this finally with a smile :)

It's not hard to get contrast from these lenses, just step down a few and the contrast and sharpness will be there.....but than all modern lenses can offer these well. Perhaps it's personal taste and preferences....I like the softness and low contrast and yet with super fine details and different type bokeh.

The photo size here can't upload the real size of the photo, otherwise I would love to show you one that everyone think is a foggy,low contrast, out focus photo...but the more your enlarge the photo the more you see the details....each time I look at it, the photo still gives me chicken bums~~~~@@

Edited by JeffoJeffo
  • Like 1

I happy you like this finally with a smile :)

It's not hard to get contrast from these lenses, just step down a few and the contrast and sharpness will be there.....but than all modern lenses can offer these well. Perhaps it's personal taste and preferences....I like the softness and low contrast and yet with super fine details and different type bokeh.

The photo size here can't upload the real size of the photo, otherwise I would love to show you one that everyone think is a foggy,low contrast, out focus photo...but the more your enlarge the photo the more you see the details....each time I look at it, the photo still gives me chicken bums~~~~@@

I agree- and there is nothing like a change, right? there are plenty of contrasty sharp lenses out there these days...

One thing 'chicken bums'...:rolleyes: I think you meant, 'goose bumps'?... 'chicken bums' sounds quite amusing though...;)

• Like 1