Trying out the Leica M- Monochrom with Kinoptik Fulgior 50mm f1.3

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

farnz

There has been a long and excellent thread running since January 2010 called "M8 and Old Glass", which contains many beautiful pictures using older lenses on M8's. I've wanted to contribute to the thread for some time since I've been experimenting with older glass but most of my shots now are with my M9-P or M2 and are out of place in that thread, so I decided to start a new thread that's not tied to a particular camera so that we can all benefit from seeing what older lenses can do.   Please

farnz

Those are lovely shots, Chaps, and thanks for the support.   Dirk, I've seen those superb shots before and they caused to me to lust after a 73/1.9 but I overcame the lust over time. But now it's started again! Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!:D.   Pete.   M9-P with 1947 CZJ 50/2 Sonnar in Contax RF mount. Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Ha

menos I M6

Nice idea Pete! i love old lenses!   Here are a few from an old pre-war Hektor 7.3cm f1.9:   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!Hektor 7.3cm ƒ1.9 *1932 by teknopunk.com, on Flickr   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!Hektor 7.3cm ƒ1.9 *1932 by teknopunk.com, on Flickr  

Posted Images

Jeff,

I had suddenly desired an Angenieux 50/1.8.

However, $4000-5000 for the lenses currently on sale on ePay had the same effect on me as a bucket of cold water:rolleyes:.

BTW, how are you mounting these old lenses on the Leicas

Mark

Wow...the price of this lens went rocket high.....

Here is a photo done by Angenieux S 50/1.8 (non coated version). Also at 50mm range, there is S1 50mm f1.8, S2 50mm f1.8 and these non coated version. They all performs differently.

Couldn't resist this one with my 35mm Summaron at f5.6. I am really appreciating how this lens paints, it reminds me of my 50 Elmar-M f2.8.

I have added a little clarity and upped the contrast marginally.

Some poolside shots from this weekend.

Leica M9, f2/35mm Summicron lens, 2nd version.

L1012788.jpg by COOP666, on Flickr

L1012795.jpg by COOP666, on Flickr

L1012781.jpg by COOP666, on Flickr

L1012791.jpg by COOP666, on Flickr

Just finished making a Canikon lens. I'll try it out tomorrow, it formed an image using the TTL viewer, and agrees with the RF. I picked up three parts lenses, Canon 50/1.5 optics module missing the rear triplet, Canon 50/1.5 focus mount, and a Nikkor 5cm F1.4 optics module missing the mount and the aperture mechanism...You get a big enough box of parts, you can make anything.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The new lens is a Sonnar. I learned that the front section of a Sonnar is a "Telephoto" design, a long focal length. On the 50mm (ish) lenses the front section is about 120mm focal length and the back triplet is about 50mm. The optics are positioned closely to get the overall 50mm focal length. That gives an explanation of the short length of a Sonnar 50 compared with others. I also looked at an 85, 105, and 135 Sonnar formula lenses: they follow the same stategy: front section is a telephoto design about 2.5 times the focal length of the completed lens, the rear element is about the same as the focal length of the lens. Started looking at this for the Jupiter-9 with the reduced focal length. I also have a Nikkor 105/2.5 in S-Mount that needs a new rear element. If the lenses ordered from Surplusshack do not cut it, I will use an F-Mount lens for the donor.

Just finished making a Canikon lens. I'll try it out tomorrow, it formed an image using the TTL viewer, and agrees with the RF. I picked up three parts lenses, Canon 50/1.5 optics module missing the rear triplet, Canon 50/1.5 focus mount, and a Nikkor 5cm F1.4 optics module missing the mount and the aperture mechanism...You get a big enough box of parts, you can make anything.

Oh well... Canikon aptly fits as a name for a Frankenlens!

Cheers,

Bruno

P.S. congratulations for yr skills and inventive!

here are a few from a while back- taken with an old chrome summilux 50:

90mm Elmarit 2.8

Sony NEX-5 125th and 100th at 2.8

1600 ISO

LED video panel lights in a super dim nightclub

At F4:

Can-Nikkor 50mm F1.5, at F4 by anachronist1, on Flickr

Made from the front section of a Canon Serenar 50mm F1.5 and the rear triplet of a later Nikkor 5cm F1.4. RF coupling is good throught the entire focus range. I mounted the front section using the original main shim and positioned the mismatched rear triplet until focus was good mid-range at 15ft.

The Canon 50/1.5 at F1.5 on the M8:

leaves_f15_scales Can-Nikkor by anachronist1, on Flickr

leaves_f15_crop Can-Nikkor by anachronist1, on Flickr

downed_tree_f15 Can-Nikkor by anachronist1, on Flickr

downed_tree_f15_crop by anachronist1, on Flickr

fall_f15 Can-Nikkor by anachronist1, on Flickr

fall_f15_crop Can-Nikkor by anachronist1, on Flickr

No UV/IR filter on these. Reasonably sharp enough across the field, "over-corrected for spherical aberration" look of the Nikkor.

Considering that these are left over parts from lenses bought to repair others- i am very happy! I'll get a picture once the rear fixture is permanently in place. A shim for the rear triplet cannot be used, it interferes with the aperture mechanism. Learned the hard way. Recoverable error.

Edited by brianv

Sharing this Cine lens Cooke Speed Panchro 75mm f2 + Mp9

this thread has had a most unexpected outcome for me... today I thought I would take advantage of an apple tree in blossom in my yard to demonstrate a Red Scale Elmar on the M8... so far so good: