The view through older Glass

farnz

Even more brilliant shots. I am wondering though - and I don't mean to sound unappreciating and also realise that I'm myself guilty - why almost all images posted are wide(ish) open bokeh shots?

It may be that this is the best way to show the character of an old lens but I would have thought there are also other ways. Thoughts?

Most of the old lenses, once you push down the aperture, the images will be very sharp, perhaps more sharper than modern lenses. If so.....what's the point using old lenses? However, when it's wide open....all the characteristic starts to show and offering different type of bokehs and I am fastinated by these bokehs.

I post a few photos using this Kinoptik 100mm f2 (made in 1956). I took this photo using f8. You may see the details in this photos.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Most of the old lenses, once you push down the aperture, the images will be very sharp, perhaps more sharper than modern lenses. If so.....what's the point using old lenses? However, when it's wide open....all the characteristic starts to show and offering different type of bokehs and I am fastinated by these bokehs.

Oh I agree with you that the wide-open character is where the characteristics show. But they show also when stopped down. That said, I do like OOF backgrounds, when done nicely (as is the case with most of the shots in this thread, I should add), so I'm certainly not complaining.

It is interesting how well old lenses perform stopped down. Here's a very ordinary shot using my 1934 Elmar 9cm with a few crops. Scanned on a Nikon Coolscan V (300dpi/1868x1233). No sharpening or post-processing except developing in ColorPerfect.

• Like 5

Hi Jeffo Jeffo, thanks for sharing these inspiring bokehs and photos!

May I ask who did the conversions for these cine lenses? Are they all RF coupled?

Cheers

Jean-Marc.

Hi Jeffo Jeffo, thanks for sharing these inspiring bokehs and photos!

May I ask who did the conversions for these cine lenses? Are they all RF coupled?

Cheers

Jean-Marc.

Hi Jean-Marc, most of my lenses are modified by Taiwanese, Janpanese and HK masters. All these lenses are RF coupled with infinity and some of them with marco as well. Some lenses I can focus as close as 5cm.

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

the 100 2.0 Kinoptic was the killer lens of the day. Alpa used it and I remember the test reports and I just drooled over it. I was lucky to afford my Pentax then.

Could you post a wide aperture shot so I can see what I missed?

Hi tobey, here is a photo using this lens in wide open. Hope you like it.

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 15

Elmar 50 f2.8, circa 1959.

M7 and Velvia 100.

Apologies to members who are animal lovers, this just appealed to my black sense of humour.

• Like 9

Canon 50/0.95 , I sold this great example when I bought the Noctilux 0.95, wish I would have kept it!

Shot on the M8.2

50's vintage Summarit 50/1.5 for these two. Still getting used to this very low contrast lens. These were shot on M7 Arcos 100

• Like 8

Great thread - thanks for the nice comments and thanks to everybody sharing photos and descriptions of lenses, used.

Here is some shots - the first with either a Noctilux ƒ1 or Nikkor 85/1.5 (beat me, but I really can't remember, although I tend to it, being the Noctilux):

7968359190_0aaac8b9d9_c.jpg

portrait - JC + Leica by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

The image shows a collapsible Elmar, which is a lens, that simply amazes me every time, I use it (rarely) - it's nowadays a very affordable lens, but shows astonishing performance, if one considers, that this is a design, now almost rocking 100 years!

Here is one shot with the tiny Elmar:

6586046125_718c0c169b_z.jpg

Untitled by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

… and a size comparison with another vintage 50mm:

7561216760_73aee35562_c.jpg

Canon 50 f0.95 vs Leitz 5cm f3.5 Elmar - size comparison by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

• Like 19

Lawrence - those are wonderful! You better find one of those 0.95 lenses again (or a 50/1.2, which indeed renders very similarly).

Thanks Dirk,

I justified getting the Noctilux 0.95 with selling the Canon. While I love the Noct, there's something about the Canon that was cool. Perhaps at some point I'll get another one. I also have a Nikon LTM 105/2,5 that I rarely use, but this thread has prompted me to get out some of my old glass and start using it again. I also have one of those collapsible Elmar 50/3.5 lenses found in a box of "stuff" from an acquaintance. It's very hazy but does give some interesting shots at times.

Here's one with the Elmar

And another with the Canon

• Like 8

Teddy and me are sleepy.

M9-P with 1946 Carl Zeiss Jena 85/2 Sonnar for Contax. Accidentally shot at ISO 1250.

Flippin' it.

M9-P with 1946 Carl Zeiss Jena 85/2 Sonnar for Contax.

• Like 13