The view through older Glass

farnz

Pete, I really like this photo - most beautiful rendering of the Sonnar as well! ...

THank you, Dirk.:)

... the 85/1.5 ... has the most beautiful Sonnar rendering, I have ever seen. ...

Is the 85/1.5 a Sonnar? I'm not questioning your knowledge I just mentally had it tagged as an Ernostat.

Pete.

• Like 1

THank you, Dirk.:)

Is the 85/1.5 a Sonnar? I'm not questioning your knowledge I just mentally had it tagged as an Ernostat.

Pete.

Yes, it is a Sonnar design - I love fast Sonnar lenses!

Here is another favorite Sonnar lens of mine - the Canon 100 f2 LTM from the late 60's:

7444932456_28fb17df04_c.jpg

Le Mans 24h 2012 - no.2 Audi Sport Team Joest - Audi R18 e-tron Quattro by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

• Like 8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Great shots Alex. The 9cm Elmar is a perfect travel lens and stopped down it performs very well indeed. You've inspired me to use mine a bit more.

Wow is this sharp! Nice job. What body are you using?

Thank you both. I think both shots where with my M7 and a CV adapter

Pete, I really like this photo - most beautiful rendering of the Sonnar as well!

Rod, I cannot thank you enough for selling this lens to me (you know, I have been looking for one of these for a long time). It is indeed not an easy lens to master - it makes me feel very, very small, every time I shoot with it - needs a long time, to learn.

Recent use on a photo shoot made me cry, as I didn't perform to the lens' level and mis-focussed a lot (wasn't my day for such critical lenses).

Thanks Philip - the 85/1.5 is about the same size and weight of a 75 Summilux - it is nominally a faster lens though + has the most beautiful Sonnar rendering, I have ever seen.

I can't compare it to the 80/2, as the last time I handled one, I can't remember about it's size. I only remember, that it was very hefty - probably not much lighter, than the 85/1.5, which is fine for me (I am used to shooting the 50/1)

Beautiful! I am a big fan of the Elmar - a beautiful and very under appreciated lens - one of the greatest vintage lenses around!

Here is a coated Elmar 5cm on my M8.2, used by JC and photographed with Noctilux ƒ1 on M9:

7927445920_35a39ebbb5_c.jpg

portrait - JC + Leica by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

You're welcome Dirk. I can understand your pain when you had a bad day with it. It's not an easy lens as you said. I think the Noctilux is a lot easier. I also had trouble with the Summilux 75. I like fast lenses because I shoot a lot of low light but the longer fast lenses are a lot more difficult in low light than 50's, at least for me.

As for the size/weight difference from the 85/2, the 85/1.5 is fatter but there isn't much weight difference. I have an 85/2 which I've had since long before the 85/1.5. It's much easier to use on an M.

Nice work with the Noct Dirk.

Rod

• Like 2

Visiting Toronto and did a few shots using this Cooke Double Speed 24mm f2 + M-M.

I am finding this is such a great combinatioin. The M-Mono is offering a great platform for this old Cooke lens to perform.......

Hope you guys likes these snap shots...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 15

Dirk,

Does you Noctilux have a Sister

Mine doesn't, but believe me, if there would be a sister, I would keep her for myself for sure :D (in fact, I am getting a bit paranoid and look for a redundant, old user condition Noctilux ƒ1, as those prices keep creeping …).

Leica M9 - f2/50mm Summicron lens - collapsible 1st version…

I think, I have seen her face before - am I mistaken? RFF?

Nice work with the Noct Dirk.

Rod

Thanks Rod - I hear you about the difference in shooting the 50/1 vs super fast longer lenses, but I love them all!

Here is more of JC with the Noctilux ƒ1:

7935189672_059501e82c_c.jpg

portrait - JC - desk by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

7935188930_2a57d0f6f2_c.jpg

portrait - JC - desk looking up by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

… and something very rare for me - color!

7935188080_159e488896_c.jpg

portrait - JC - desk looking up by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

• Like 17

What a great thread.

I have "Photographic Lenses", Neblette and Morgan, 1965 edition.

The Nikkor 8.5cm F1.5 shares a common formula with the Zeiss 8.5cm F2, and is a 7-element in 3 group classic Sonnar formula lens. The Jupiter-9 has the same formula. The Nikkor 8.5cm F2, Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5, and Post-war Zeiss Opton 85/2 are much different- 5 elements in 3 groups.The Canon 85/1.5 is a double-Gauss and has the same optical formula as the 5cm f1.5 Simlar: 7 elements in 4 groups, 1-3-2-1 configuration. The Simlar took the front doublet of a Planar and split it into a triplet.

The Canon 100/2 is shown as a 6 element in 5 group lens, 1-1-1-2-1. As shown, it is based on a Planar, with the front doublet made with a thin "air element", would give similar optical properties to the Canon 85/1.5. I've never taken the 100/2 apart, but can confirm that the Canon 85/2 is a double-Gauss lens in a classic 1-2-2-1 configuration.

This book is worth searching for on Ebay and other places. It is also helpful when taking lenses apart for cleaning. Gives some insight into what to expect.

Edited by brianv
  • Like 5

What a great thread.

I have "Photographic Lenses", Neblette and Morgan, 1965 edition.

The Nikkor 8.5cm F1.5 shares a common formula with the Zeiss 8.5cm F2, and is a 7-element in 3 group classic Sonnar formula lens. The Jupiter-9 has the same formula. The Nikkor 8.5cm F2, Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5, and Post-war Zeiss Opton 85/2 are much different- 5 elements in 3 groups.The Canon 85/1.5 is a double-Gauss and has the same optical formula as the 5cm f1.5 Simlar: 7 elements in 4 groups, 1-3-2-1 configuration. The Simlar took the front doublet of a Planar and split it into a triplet.

The Canon 100/2 is shown as a 6 element in 5 group lens, 1-1-1-2-1. As shown, it is based on a Planar, with the front doublet made with a thin "air element", would give similar optical properties to the Canon 85/1.5. I've never taken the 100/2 apart, but can confirm that the Canon 85/2 is a double-Gauss lens in a classic 1-2-2-1 configuration.

This book is worth searching for on Ebay and other places. It is also helpful when taking lenses apart for cleaning. Gives some insight into what to expect.

****Great Collection!!!

• Like 2

@ JeffoJeffo - beautiful look! I would love, to give that combo a try with portraits!

Brian - you are priceless in getting all things to know about those old lenses - I am just organizing my own little workshop, I negotiated with my head of financials … just today did a big order in some special tools, I was missing and some workshop furniture ;-)

Rod, here is another one for you - Nikkor 85 ƒ1.5 LTM Nº266081, stopped down to ƒ2 (I am still experimenting with some color conversions, as I usually shoot exclusively in B&W, so here goes with this early 1950's king of 85mm Sonnar lenses - haha:

7937675606_152ca6080a_c.jpg

portrait - JC - table by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

7937674510_8c1bcff8f8_c.jpg

portrait - JC - table - color by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

• Like 16