M2 versus M3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would beware of Leicameters - they are now old and finding one in top condition might be a challenge. And the old 625 battery is no longer available - there are replacements by how satisfactory they are may be debatable.

I was recently in a position to consider a quick load kit for my M2 & M3 - and I was advised against it by a highly respected repair person. The old system is not a pain, and it works very well. I have been using it since the 1960s and my mental state is only questioned by my wife.

Hello Michael,

Could you tell us what it was about the "quick load" that the person you spoke with thought was inadvisable?

I've been using a "quick load" since 1973 & have always thought of it as a significant improvement over the spool it replaced.

Best Regards,

Michael

I would beware of Leicameters - they are now old and finding one in top condition might be a challenge. And the old 625 battery is no longer available - there are replacements by how satisfactory they are may be debatable.

I was recently in a position to consider a quick load kit for my M2 & M3 - and I was advised against it by a highly respected repair person. The old system is not a pain, and it works very well. I have been using it since the 1960s and my mental state is only questioned by my wife.

Hello Michael,

Could you tell us what it was about the "quick load" that the person you spoke with thought was inadvisable?

I've been using a "quick load" since 1973 & have always thought of it as a significant improvement over the spool it replaced.

Best Regards,

Michael

Like I said, 50% love it, 50% say no. :)

I guess I'd need to try one for myself. At least I know that would be a no-cost option, I'd recoup my money if I didn't like it.

Thank you Michael, I wasn't aware the meter needed a battery. I'll stick with Sunny 16 and my vintage Sekonic if needed.

I'm also on the fence about the quick load, 50% of people like it, 50% say don't bother. I'll probably just find an extra reel or two, although have you seen the prices of them on ebay these days??

attachicon.gifIMG_1097.JPG

Hello Mike,

What I do for the battery in my MR4 is: I use a 44/303/357 battery which is SILVER OXIDE (Important). 

I then make an adapter out of a STAINLESS STEEL (Important) split ring which fits inside the battery chamber TIGHTLY. I then "swirl" the inside of the split ring inward, like a watch's balance spring, until it is the right diameter to hold the replacement, smaller than original, battery TIGHTLY.

Then, when entering the film speed of the film that I am using in the meter: MOST IMPORTANTLY:

I ADD +1.5 DIN (1/2 stop) to the film speed that I am USING. I do this because some film speeds on boxes are not reflective of the actual film speed of the film in that box & I always check & adjust accordingly to the proper USING SPEED before entering a film speed

I then set this new (Using +1.5 DIN) film speed on the meter & then meter as usual. Keeping in mind that the meter is ALWAYS measuring the field of view of a 90mm lens. Regardless of the lens that you are using.

By the way, it is sometimes advisable to readjust your meter so that the meter is metering the same as the 90mm frame lines at 1 given distance. I use Infinity.

At the same time it is also advisable to adjust the mounting shoe (3 + 2 mounting screws underneath) so that the meter does not scratch the top of the camera BUT the little pin still engages the little cut out properly AT ALL SHUTTER SPEEDS + B. 

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

I should have thought more thoroughly. The old ones "MC" had selenium cells, while the later ones "MR" required batteries . Finding an MC in good working order will be a good trick - they are now very old. The one in your picture I think predates the MC. The MC and MR meters have a tendency to scuff the top plate.

Estimating exposure is not so difficult. I rarely use a meter. The idea behind Sunny16 is very useful. In my experience it is more like Sunny8 - in my experience and normal usage I start with a bright day using 250th at 5.6. I then will adjust based on the light conditions. I use XP2 almost exclusively, and it is very forgiving. I only rarely have a less-than-great negative.

• Like 1

I've found I do pretty well with Sunny 16, I recently developed 2 colour films from my IIIa both taken without reference to the meter, all exposures were good. What I do like about the meter is the ability to glance at it and immediately figure out the new shutter speed if I open the aperture by four stops without having to count in my head.

The Sekonic shown above is working accurately, it has obviously never been used before, I got it still in the original packaging. I have a couple of hand held Weston meters also in the same condition and also working well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The first film is done and scanned, the camera is a joy to use, the lens is simply amazing.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have ordered a Leicameter MR and a quick load kit, I should have them tomorrow, if I don't like them I know I'll be able to recoup the cost.

• Like 1