Kodachrome MIGHT be coming back!!!

A miller

Doc Henry, I hope you don't mind me posting this image showing some adjustments. The capability and expectation to fine tune color and detail in photos (often beyond what could be done via conventional printing) makes the color properties of Kodachrome somewhat irrelevant today.

attachicon.gifDoc Henry gliders.jpg

Sure you can and you are welcome Alan .Thanks

Too pressed the other day, I had not seen that the Kodachrome option of my Nikon scanner was not activated. Sorry Alan. On this picture below , it is done.

Sunflower and the yellow of Kodachrome

Picture uncropped

Leica R8-Vario Elmar 35-75 in macro position

Kodachrome 64

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 5

I discovered today that Ilford did once showcase a 'digital' paper/ink 'version' of Cibachrome, but it was apparently never viable for production. Shame!

I think that is back when Ilford Switzerland were going to rule the world. Cash flow problems soon put paid to that, although I have to say the width of choice of their digital papers is impressive and I have yet to get a poor one from them. They are also very quick getting out free to download printer profiles for their papers, which I have found generally to be very accurate, especially for Epson pigment ink printers, like my current 3880. Other than the printer manufacturers, I think Lyson are the only people currently making ink and paper, although I am not too impressed with the Lyson Smooth semi-matte I bought when my local stockist (Marutt) were out of Ilford. It is very slow drying and very easy to smear. 

• Like 2

I have often wondered if the technological and environmental difficulties with Kodachrome could be better managed with new technologies, while retaining the lovely colour and longevity of the transparencies.

Kodachrome was mostly sold in a time of bricks and mortar photoshops. That model only works with the turnover you get from mass market appeal. The internet opens far greater possibilities for niche markets (the Long Tail), with centralised processing - surely, this makes a modern version of Kodachrome feasible ...

• Like 3

I have often wondered if the technological and environmental difficulties with Kodachrome could be better managed with new technologies, while retaining the lovely colour and longevity of the transparencies.

Kodachrome was mostly sold in a time of bricks and mortar photoshops. That model only works with the turnover you get from mass market appeal. The internet opens far greater possibilities for niche markets (the Long Tail), with centralised processing - surely, this makes a modern version of Kodachrome feasible ...

My years of Kodachrome were effectively mail-order years. I never lived in the vicinity of a retailer, so I would post a mail-order to receive film, and then post the Kodachrome mailer to receive the processed slides - Perfect, if a little slow.

Nowadays I would expect faster turnarounds could be achieved on both parts of this journey, and it would allow Kodak to centralise its processing centres wherever suits best. As it is, we see photographers here sending films form UK across to Canada for processing / scanning, so it is a model that can function.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

.... As it is, we see photographers here sending films form UK across to Canada for processing / scanning, so it is a model that can function.

There would have to be a predictable volume to ensure viability and that threshold may even have been calculated to be home-grown in the US, who knows.  

I'd do it, if this ever materialises and turns out to be the genuine thing.  I've used labs in SF and Denver within the past two years and there's no added inconvenience in doing so.

• Like 1

My years of Kodachrome were effectively mail-order years. I never lived in the vicinity of a retailer, so I would post a mail-order to receive film, and then post the Kodachrome mailer to receive the processed slides - Perfect, if a little slow.

Nowadays I would expect faster turnarounds could be achieved on both parts of this journey, and it would allow Kodak to centralise its processing centres wherever suits best. As it is, we see photographers here sending films form UK across to Canada for processing / scanning, so it is a model that can function.

I'm trying to remember what the cost of a roll of Kodachrome 64 was - I seem to recall over $20 per roll, when you could get it.  Pre-internet days, you took what you could get.  These days, Greg from Photo & Video would probably get me a good price for a pack - it would still be expensive ...

I used Kodachrome mostly when I lived in the UK - bought retail, and posted to Hemel Hempstead for processing.  I think I did the same from Hong Kong as well.  It wouldn't bother me posting slides overseas for processing - US, UK, Singapore or Europe.  Somehow, I suspect Australia would be too expensive ...

• Like 1

Also they could process and scan it, and offer the scans via a website so you could download images shortly after they were processed whilst the originals made their way back in the post. 

• Like 2

How would Kodak accomplish that? Here is an idea, create economical, small Kodachrome labs everywhere. Might that work? NO! Kodak tried that with their K-Lab program. It failed. What is different today to obviate the same failure?

How would Kodak accomplish that? Here is an idea, create economical, small Kodachrome labs everywhere. Might that work? NO! Kodak tried that with their K-Lab program. It failed. What is different today to obviate the same failure?

Go back to including the processing cost in the cost of the film (remember the little yellow baggy things?), and establish processing centres in Europe, the US and Asia.  Economies of scale, new technologies and excellent courier/postal services.

I can't think how else it would work, unless Kodak can create a new emulsion with all the benefits of the original Kodachrome and the ease of processing of Ektachrome ... unlikely.

• Like 1

I have a 36 exposure Kodachrome box from around 1970. it has the price of 29 shillings and 6 pence on it (process paid) = £1.48 Corrected for inflation, that would be £22.35 today. 

Wilson

• Like 3

I suppose it is Kodachrome in terms of its being a transparency and its color palate -- after that it is an E-6 film that gets processed like any other, and you can fill in the blanks from there. The idea they would resurrect Kodachrome exactly as it was in terms of manufacture, process, etc makes little if no sense.

I have a 36 exposure Kodachrome box from around 1970. it has the price of 29 shillings and 6 pence on it (process paid) = £1.48 Corrected for inflation, that would be £22.35 today.

Wilson

Now I know why I was always broke as a teenager, I obviously spent all my money on Kodachrome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Wilson

That's interesting. Kodachrome became much cheaper in the latter quarter of the twentieth century – I remember paying around £6/7 per processed paid roll around 2005. If it ever were to be resurrected (which I think still looks unlikely), I already assume it would probably cost something like what you were paying in 1970. I think a lot of other products we buy will follow a similar pattern and the days of so much cheap stuff are probably behind us.

That's interesting. Kodachrome became much cheaper in the latter quarter of the twentieth century – I remember paying around £6/7 per processed paid roll around 2005. If it ever were to be resurrected (which I think still looks unlikely), I already assume it would probably cost something like what you were paying in 1970. I think a lot of other products we buy will follow a similar pattern and the days of so much cheap stuff are probably behind us.

Ian, 

Not quite yet I think. My 12 year old Blu Ray player in France died this spring and in any case it would not play some of the most recent discs before it broke. I bought the new Samsung K8500 4K Blu Ray player as I have a 4K Philips TV/computer monitor there. The Samsung cost over €400 at that time. I now see that I can buy one, just 9 months later, at only £200 in the UK and that is taking the weak pound into account. I think we will have cheap electronics from the far east until there is a major social revolution in China and other far east countries and the workers start to get paid a decent hourly rate, so they are not having to work 80+ hours a week to live. 

Wilson

Here is an idea, create economical, small Kodachrome labs everywhere. Might that work? NO! Kodak tried that with their K-Lab program. It failed. What is different today to obviate the same failure?

I would assume that IF Kodachrome made a come-back, Kodak would try to get existing labs to take on the processing line. This would require more hardware, technical training and the use of chemicals which would have more H&S requirements and substantial disposal problems. I just can't see it happening, sadly, especially in a market shrunk even from when Kodachrome went out of production and they ceased to process it. Re-introduction of Kodachrome is a really nice idea, but even with the best will in the world would be a massive gamble and I simply can't see it happening no matter what their spokesperson said.

..... I simply can't see it happening no matter what their spokesperson said.

And that is just one more uninformed personal opinion.  I really hope it's proven wrong.

The new Kodak Super 8 camera was launched at CES (the last one was manufactured in 1983!) and Ektachrome is being reintroduced.  These announcements are interesting in the context of a possible revival of Kodachrome.  

Steven Overman's comments about Kodachrome and the reintroduction of other Kodak heritage products in The Kodakery podcast post CES are very candid.  

I love the optimism in what he has to say, anyway.  It's worth listening to:

https://soundcloud.com/the-kodakery