Touchscreen Issue

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am curious to find out whether others have experienced issues with the touchscreen of the T similar to mine.

From the time I first started using it in earnest the touchscreen of my 2-year-old T has suffered from an intermittent issue whereby the screen stops responding to any finger touch inputs and can only be recovered by powering down and back on again. The Visoflex and screen continue to display normally but no amount of finger contact will activate any settings menus or bring up stored images. I am able to take shots with the current settings as normal but doing so does not recover the screen response. Today for example it happened 3 times in a 6-hour period during which the camera was switched on for about 75% of the time.

I have observed this behaviour with the 23mm, 11-23mm and 55-135mm T lenses. 

I had initially assumed that the issue was firmware related and would be resolved with a firmware update but although having religiously installed every update almost immediately after release the problem has not gone away. If anything, the frequency of occurrence has probably increased, although I have not been conscientious enough in recording when it has happened to be certain that this is so.

Do I have a unique hardware problem or is this a firmware issue?

I won't don't use a screen protector as my experiences with other gadgets that use a touch screen with protector is poor.

In my experience the screen can in damp conditions think you are touching the screen when in reality you aren't and this appears to be the case in humid conditions as well. I'm told by a few of my mates that the better quality screen protectors don't exhibit this problem.

I would be tempted to remove the protector and see if the problem continues, if it does then send it back to Leica, if it doesn't then you know where the problem lies.

My new TL was delivered Wednesday ,January 5th. Using it today with 23mm Summicron and Visoflex attached the touch screen stopped responding and the Visoflex died. Removed and replaced battery and everything started working but settings had changed. I hope this is not going to be a recurring problem.

I suspect that this issue has something to do with switching between screen and Visoflex and back again.

When wandering about taking outdoor shots I often have the T switched on for long periods. I have it attached to my wrist by a strap and hanging held with a few fingers by my side when not actually shooting. My swinging arm undoubtedly causes repeated shadowing of the Visoflex as the camera passes my body and presumably triggering of the switching process.

Today the switching locked on the Visoflex and would not return to the screen when the camera was moved away from my face. Pressing the shutter button had no effect. Switching off and on recovered the situation.

A couple of times in the past I have had the screen apparently go dead and assumed that the camera had turned itself off because the battery had gone flat and been surprised that this had happened more quickly than expected. I now realise that this was probably the Visoflex locking on. I only realised that the camera had not shut down today because I noticed a glow in the Visoflex and when I put it up to my eye found that it was displaying normally.

Today the switching locked on the Visoflex and would not return to the screen when the camera was moved away from my face. Pressing the shutter button had no effect. Switching off and on recovered the situation.

I experienced something similar recently.  In my case the Visoflex was somehow not properly making contact anymore with the hotshoe.  I pushed it back as far as I could and everything went back to normal.