Ektachrome is coming back!

Keith (M)

• 7 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wonder about processing. E6 shops are not on every corner. An equally important point for the Super 8 variety. And for Super 8, are there any projectors available that are not 25 years old with dead and unavailable bulbs? Lots of unanswered questions between here and viability.

I wonder about processing. E6 shops are not on every corner. An equally important point for the Super 8 variety. And for Super 8, are there any projectors available that are not 25 years old with dead and unavailable bulbs? Lots of unanswered questions between here and viability.

Hi Michael

The target-market these days isn't the broad mass of snapshooters that need corner-shop processing - it's aimed squarely at serious enthusiasts and pros who won't have trouble finding a lab.

The Super-8 market is likewise not moms and pops filming their kids on vacation - those people are using iPhones and watching on their 4K TVs. There's a very significant number of young film-makers thirsting for this re-launch (and the accompanying launch of the new camera). They won't be using home projectors - the films will mostly be digitally edited and post-processed.
  • Like 2

I would like to see a 'Kodachrome' type service along with the new film. Kodak could do this themselves perhaps or link up with labs in various markets, to offer a processing service. It will surely make the film more successful.

For UK users apart from the various 'pro' labs that are still around the Snappy Snaps chain of High Street shops also offer E6 processing.

I would like to see a 'Kodachrome' type service along with the new film. Kodak could do this themselves perhaps or link up with labs in various markets, to offer a processing service. It will surely make the film more successful.

For UK users apart from the various 'pro' labs that are still around the Snappy Snaps chain of High Street shops also offer E6 processing.

This sort of thing you mean, James?

• Like 2

My lab charges the same for E6 and C41, they just take an uplift for black-and-white, because they are hand-processed individually.

Having said this, it must have been quite a while since I used E6, that more or less ended, when I discovered, how easy Portra is scanned.

Stefan

I remember posting some time back, when everyone was predicting the total death of film (around the same time the M8 was released) I said then that Leica should start offering film processing services, seeing as they are one of the few manufacturers of film cameras. 

A few years later the Lomography people did just that, to encourage people to buy and use their film cameras. Which reminds me, they also offer E6 processing.

I wonder if the old anti-trust ruling that prevented Kodak in the USA from selling film with processing included is still in effect? That's why they stopped it decades ago.

Whatever, it doesn't need to be compulsory with E6, it can be an optional extra. Buy a roll of Ektachrome and if you want to, buy a processing mailer at the same time. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to remember that's how it was with Kodak slide film in the 70s, always took the processing, off to New Jersey (USA) it went and always seemed to come back quicker than I thought.

Hello Steve,

That is because Fairlawn, where it was processed, is not that far from the George Washington Bridge.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

Hello Steve,

That is because Fairlawn, where it was processed, is not that far from the George Washington Bridge.

Best Regards,

Michael

And they did a great job, much better than the other choices like Berkey, imho, for those who remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1