M 11

pico

This is excellent. I'm looking forward to another endless fact-free rumour fest which descends into bitterness and acrimony as people elect to use their keyboards instead of their cameras.

Good work!

Hello Mr Pot.

Regards.

Mr Kettle.

• Like 5

I know not which features M10 will have, but M11 will already have an obsolete sensor when introduced.

Albert Einstein    

The #12 Leica will be a lens with a body just deep enough to accept M (and autofocus) lenses and no wider than 100mm. It will communicate via Bluetooth to a small receiver carried in the pocket. That receiver will have a SmartER card and, when available, cellular and wireless communication with the 'cloud' and your home computer.

The iteration after #12 will have an obscure name, and accept tiny lenses and simultaneously Leica will be purchased by a Chinese company that manufactures via robots and answers your email the same way.

The end of the world. :) Relax, it was a cool trip.

I do appreciate how difficult it is to innovate when the essence of the design is minimalism.

At some point the tool used to make the art is not the limiting factor, it is the artist's creative vision.

I'd say for most of us, that point was reached with either the M9 or the M type 240. The M10 may some nice to have refinements but since we are already limited by our own ability rather than the camera's ability and the arms race between camera vendors is winding down as the masses rely on their cell phones leaving the pro market a low volume business, I don't expect the M11 to come out any time soon.

The things that I would ask for if I were specifying the M11 now are:

1) More dynamic range from the sensor. This also probably also implies more bits per pixel per color channel even if the resolution stays the same.

2) A case design that facilitates replacing and upgrading the electronics. In the same way that you could upgrade your computer by replacing the motherboard and the CPU and sticking the new components in the same commodity case, Designing the case where the rangefinder and the user controls remain the same and they can quickly replace the sensor and processor logic board as technology evolves seems like a good approach. What I would do is have the screen, all the buttons and controls plug into one flex cable that attached to the processor/sensor assembly. This would be exactly the same on all the variations of the camera and have the IO processor in this part of the camera identify itself to the sensor/processor assembly so that it knows how to implement the UI. That way a M11-D with no screen would have the same electronics as a M11. The firmware would say, no screen, no need to do preview and I read the ISO from the wheel on the back rather than from the knob where the rewind spool used to be.

3) Better weather and dust sealing in the case.

4) replace the direct mechanical connection between the RF and the lens with an electronic one or in some other way allow the camera to be adjusted in the field to keep the RF focus accurate.

5) make the vertical adjustment of the RF something field serviceable.

Those last three could leverage the network of the Leica boutiques to offload much of the routine work of being done by the repair service in Allendale and Wetzlar.

6) Work with Adobe to add encryption and Error detection and correction to a new version of DNG and implement that in the camera.

7) Give the camera a USB-C port for charging in-camera and tethered shooting.

8) Make the external charger use USB-C rather than AC.

9) Provide a some sort of haptic signal or put stops on the shutter speed dial so that you either can't go or at least know when you go from 1/4000 to B and vice versa.

• Like 2