Recommendation for a 50mm Summicron

Beena22

Advertisement (gone after registration)

His there. I've been lurking for a while whilst weighing up the notion of buying my first Leica and thought I'd get some info from your experts on what lens to go for.

A bit of background on me - I'm a hobbyist and started out using Fuji cameras a few years back (X100, XE1) as I liked the manual feel of them and the form factor. I was lucky enough to be gifted a Sony A7 by a ridiculously generous soul on a forum I frequent, which gave me a taste of full frame loveliness. I love the image quality I get from the Sony and I only ever use M-mount lenses on it (actually more accurately - LTM lenses) as I love the involvement with manual glass and the small size. I currently have some Jupiter lenses along with a Voigtlander Norton Classic 35mm and also an Elmar-C 90mm. as good as the A7 is, I don't feel an emotional attachment with it, as it is all buttons and menus and I hanker for something simpler and more elegant. I've coveted digital Leica Ms for a while but they have always been way out of my price range I felt, but I've decided to bite the bullet and save up for a used M9 (especially after trying one out recently at a store). I tend to shoot mostly 50s so the obvious choice is to go for a Summicron as they are so widely regarded. I can't stretch to a Summilux and to be honest I like to keep the whole setup as compact as possible, so the Cron would help with that. I also want to keep costs as low as possible as I'm not a wealthy guy. With this in mind - what are the various versions of Crons out there and how do they perform? Any info would be gratefully received.

Sorry for the long rambling first post.

Hi Beena22. As I understand it, the rigid summicron Type 2 is highly regarded, as is Type 4. Type 5 is the latest version with the same optics as the type 4. Many prefer the type 4 as it has a focus tab to aid focusing, and a more effective hood. I have the Type 5 with which I am thrilled. I bought a screw-in hood which seems more effective than the integral sliding hood of the Type 5 in terms of both sun and physical protection.

Types are tabled here.

Welcome to the forum.

Pete

Oh, I forgot the exceedingly expensive APO 50 Summicron. Optically it is superb by all accounts.

Edited by Stealth3kpl
  • Like 1

I would recommend a v4, the tabbed version. It's a joy to use, small, light, focus is very smooth and the optical performace is exceptionally good. Prices for a good Canadian version with the lens hood start at ~750 €, the german ones are more expensive.

I hate to say it, but the Rockwell has a good overview: http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/lens-reviews.htm#50summicron.

• Like 1

The Nokton Classic 35 can be quite nice on the M9, but the focus shift as it stops down can be an issue at mid apertures, where it will tend to focus a bit behind the rangefinder indicated focus. Even so, I've had some nice results with it on my M9. I also find the Elmar-C excellent on my M9, so you are off to a good start. (I also use both on an A7!)

The 50 Summicron V3 (1968-1979) would be a good choice for your criteria. It has more snap than the older ones, and while the later ones are better on the edges, they are also more expensive. I have v1 through 5 of the Summicrons, and still use the V3 on my film bodies. Mine got quite stiff in focusing over my 50 years of use, but I finally disassembled and relubed the helical, and now it is perfect.

The 50 2.5 Summarit would also be a good choice, but the V3 Summicron will likely cost less, is a bit faster, and more classic.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In my modest experience you cannot go wrong with an M9 and any 50mm Summicron. We have very many experienced members who among the entirety who have probably used all the 50mm Summicrons made. Be prepared for a lot of help. :)

I use a couple M9s and have used several 50mm Summicrons over almost fifty years and  found every one of them more than adequate.

I'm sure you are headed to a very good experience with your choices.

• Like 3

The 50/2 v4 (left) is my favorite Summicron 50 non apo size wise when i don't need a hood. But v5 (right) has a bit less flare and its built-in hood albeit vestigial is more handy. if you're on a budget the Summarit 50/2.5  is even smaller, has less CA, less focus shift and is at least as sharp as the Summicron. Better use a hood with it though as it may produce some nasty flare when strong light sources are outside the frame. I have no experience with the ZM Planar 50/2 but it is said to be almost flare free and has overall an excellent reputation. It is significantly taller than both Summarit and Summicron though. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Welcome to Leica!  I agree with Pico and recommend a Leica Summicron over anything else just because these are classic Leica design and one to experience if you are getting into Leica.  Be careful with the early Collapsible version because coatings are soft and the lens may have extensive fog or worse, separation. I've seen later lenses with separation too.  As TomB mentions, the Version 3 with focus tab is a great choice. I've owned all of the versions and currently have the Version 4  Pre-Asph. This one has built in hood but no focus tab. Glass is same as the Version 3 preceding it. The German lens in black, preceding those two, and following the "rigid" and dual range" is also a very nice lens but has longer focus throw, and as I recall minimum focusing distance not as close as the newer version....so I'd look for "version 3" with focusing tab and make sure to get a hood with it. 

I haven't thought through this in some time but there are more than three versions before the "Version 3 and 4"

Collapsible,

Rigid, Dual Range,

Black (German made),

Version 3

Version 4. 

This ordering is based on that the Rigid and Dual Range share similar glass design/formula. The same is true of the Version 3 and 4 where I am pretty sure coatings are similar as well.

David

• Like 1

Hah!  I'm not the only one with difficulty counting versions. While I was posting, Ict posted what I referred to as Ver 3 (left) and version 4 right with retracted hood :)  And he recommends the oft referred to v3, calling it v4 and as my list shows, that is a reasonable call!

This is v3 (11817). Excellent lens indeed but a bit softer in edges and corners. No focus tab.

V4 (tabbed 11819, 11825) and what i called v5 (untabbed 11816, 11826) have the same optical formula but different coatings.

• Like 1

The M4 was my first Leica as well. This 0.7m lens is a v2 (11818) IINW.

Thanks for the excellent advice and information everyone. It is very much appreciated. The different versions of the lens has been confusing me but it looks like a version 3 or 4 is on the cards.

I have looked at reviews of the Zeiss ZM as I considered it for my A7 but the size puts me off and I'm also concerned that it might be a bit too clinical a lens. I had a Voigtlander Nokton 50mm 1.5 and it was super sharp but I felt it didn't have much character and it was a bit of a beast weight and size wise, so I sold it. Bought a Jupiter 3 instead and was much happier. I am keen to get another Leica lens after getting the Elmar as that is just a wonderful piece of glass.

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk

I bought a v5 at Christmas and worried I'd miss the focus tab but I really don't. I sold a Summarit to get it and although this was a fantastic lens I always wanted the Cron...

I also came from Fuji (x100 and xe) and they're still fantastic cameras I can't bear to part with them. I kept the xe1 just to use legacy lenses on which can be fun, I've been itching to pick up a Jupiter actually.

I think you'll like the m9 as it boils down the experience to the basics even more than the Fujis do.

www.robertpoolephotography.com