Elmar 24 f/3.8: Is it any good?

BjarniM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, I guess he has been reading Erwin too. I think that lens tests, if one wants them to be useful must be done as rigorously as possible, and Erwin spends a lot of time in the Zeiss lens testing laboratory and in the Leica facility.

• Like 2

Coming back to the lens, you cannot go wrong with it! It's just amazing and one of Leicas absolutely best lenses in terms of sharpness, CA and contrast. I bought mine for the M8 and just it extensively in this combination. Since I bought the M (240), I have used it less, but mostly because I now have 2 small children and a lot less time to take pictures other than indoor of the two and there my Lux 35 and 50 are better suited :). Here is an macro example (using OUFRO):

31207112004_569ba179b4_b_d.jpg

Unfortunately my sensor was very dirty at this time (was travelling so no way to clean it :( )

Edited by mmx_2
  • Like 4

Let's start with the premise that ALL Leica lenses are good, within their production  timeframe. Just because the WWW doesn't carry a ton of accolades, has nothing to do with the lens. I suggest you start by reading knowledgable resources such as Puts for some details. I owned one for a couple of years sfter lusting for it, but found that for my style of work, it was too wide to justify keeping it. With some reluctance, because it was so good, I sold it when I needed some cash for a family emergency.

• Like 1