Protective Travel Case for Leica Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

Just bought a Leica Q and excited to start shooting with it but first want to make sure I have it protected whenever I travel.

I'm looking for a small case that can fit just the Q and that I can easily throw into my backpack without having to worry about if the camera will be damaged. I started looking at the Pelican cases but was wondering if anyone has used those cases to fit the Q or if they could recommend something similar? 

Not looking for a holster or its own bag but preferably just a case that can fit inside a backpack while traveling from place to place. 

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you

@SP0

The dimensions of the M: 139 x 80 x 42 mm (without lens, which made it difficult for me to judge whether the M-Case fits on the Q)

The dimensions of the Q: 130 x 80 x 93 mm (with lens, of course)

I thought of buying that Case, too, but was uncertain whether it would fit well enough, as it is made for the M which is about 9mm wider than the Q. And I don't know about the average sizes of M-lenses.

In my opinion, it mustn't be too loose around the camera, it should really be like a firm skin around the camera. Could you tell us, whether that is the case with the neoprene Case for the Leica M? Or is it a bit too big? That M-Case is available in two sizes - did you buy the smaller one?

Edited by Macberg

This is perfect... fits like a glove. I have the Q in there with no hood... but Thumbs Up, lens filter plus generic 49mm cap. Couldn't ask for a better fit.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1119692&gclid=CLbGoeDEodECFYhKDQodWZMBEw&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677562%2C&Q=&A=details

Here is a pic of my Q in the case...

QCase.JPG

Edited by Donzo98

How much protection do the Neoprene cases provide? Let's say the camera's at the bottom of my backpack with this case. If the backpack hits the ground, will the camera be protected?

Depends on the structure of the backpack. I use the lightest, most waterproof backpack I can find. Almost a plastic bag with straps! I just don't let my bag drop and I do many long distance trips with my Leica Q, Leica M, batteries, chargers and lenses. Nothing goes into baggage that I can't personally carry onboard or that other people will handle.

Realistically, the protection is simply against scratches and not against dropping. I wouldn't put the pack at the bottom of the backpack. I put it higher up. The Lowepro is obviously better for hard drops, but it is much bulkier. I've stopped using them because when the camera is out and being used, I still have an empty bulky case in my backpack. It also requires the lens shade to be removed. That's something I rarely do.

Finally, I recommend that you have specific insurance for your equipment.

Edited by lucerne

I was thinking of getting one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1150-000-110-Small-Camera-Black/dp/B000N9PQEI and either: 1) trying to fit the original box the Q was stored into it -- it looks like it just might fit or 2) carving the foam to fit the Q.

anyone here have experience with Pelican cases? i think I'd prefer a hard case to have some peace of mind when going from place to place. 

I was thinking of getting one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1150-000-110-Small-Camera-Black/dp/B000N9PQEI and either: 1) trying to fit the original box the Q was stored into it -- it looks like it just might fit or 2) carving the foam to fit the Q.

anyone here have experience with Pelican cases? i think I'd prefer a hard case to have some peace of mind when going from place to place.

I have multiple Pelican cases. They are extremely rugged and do a great job protecting gear. However, I only use one large model to carry a bunch of lensss and camera body when I'm on a road trip. They're overkill and way too bulky and heavy to travel on airplanes with.

I use a Gura Gear 22L bag for long trips on airplanes. I can carry a Canon 500mm f/4 lens plus a couple other lenses and a body in just that bag. Legal for international travel.

Edited by Infiniumguy
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I use the LowePro Photo Sport 200 AW backpack, which is a light backpack with a protected side section that comfortably holds the Q (with hood). The version I have is no longer sold [https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/768092-REG/Lowepro_LP36354_PAM_Photo_Sport_200_AW.html], and I don't find the newer models as attractive to me (they are thinner). You just swing the backpack around your left shoulder to access the zipped camera compartment.

The great benefit is that I can use it as a day pack walking around town - there's enough space in the top to fit light shopping or a waterproof. The downside is that it has quite large waist pockets that form the waist band (which I will never use) - I can always just cut those off. 

Looking for a small Case for my Q, I decided finally to buy a Lowepro Nova 140 AW. This case is small outside and huge inside. I carries

• Leica Q with mounted lens hood an ThumbsUp
  • Nissin Flash i40
  • FlashQ seeks to make wireless flash triggers
  • stand for the i40
  • one set Eneloops for the i40
  • one set energy cells for the Flash Q
  • Leica Tabletop Tripod 1400 with mounted  Novoflex Ball 19P
  • extra battery pack for the Q
The Lowepro Nova 140 AW is a shoulder bag, easy to carry and it protects the Q even if it falls. I use it for all of my trips.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by gvadf
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm also looking for something that can get thrown around inside my backpack. I've long use Lowepro cases similar to the ones posted here, but I don't think they provide anywhere close to the amount of protection I'm looking for. Eg, I don't want to worry if my backpack falls off the back of a chair or from an overhear bin.

I'm also looking for something that can get thrown around inside my backpack. I've long use Lowepro cases similar to the ones posted here, but I don't think they provide anywhere close to the amount of protection I'm looking for. Eg, I don't want to worry if my backpack falls off the back of a chair or from an overhear bin.

This is what I have for my Q. Very high quality bag and Q fits perfectly with the hood, Leica grip, and ThumbsUp attached.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1388289-REG/billingham_bl500102_01_72_camera_bag_black.html

We travel everywhere with carry-on luggage only, so we consider the size and weight of everything we bring, even if we're away for as long as five or six weeks.  Consequently, any camera case and camera bag is too much. This is how I've "done" cameras for over 75 countries.  I keep each camera in a soft cloth bag in my backpack, not on the bottom - On the bottom is a zippered clear plastic bag with first aid items and meds, and on top of that is a small zippered bag with batteries, chargers, SD cards, lens cloth, etc.  The cameras in cloth bags go on top where they are in reach, and not on the bottom where a drop might damage them.  I keep the cameras out of the cloth bags whenever I think I might be shooting, which is just about always -- bagged and encased cameras require removing the cameras from their containers, which sometimes is just enough of a hassle to prevent shooting.

I have several camera cases and camera bags sitting unused at home.  I really should be getting rid of them, and will probably do so as part of an activity called "death cleaning."

• Thanks 1

Look at the Domke F-5XB about $70 at B&H. Padded interior holds a Q and some batteries, sd cards and a note book. Protective enough inside a backpack or carry-on and is also small and sturdy enough for over the shoulder use when getting jostled about on the subway.  

• 1 month later...