Problem with R8 mirror

bscott

I fear I can only think of the obvious possibilities, namely, check the position of the mirror lock-up switch (or try moving it on and off a few times) as well as pressing the shutter yet again, and similarly the double exposure lever as sometimes the logic can get a bit tangled. (Although even if the lock-up switch is stuck to "on" the shutter should fire on second press and the mirror drop down.) You've almost certainly tred all this though! Good luck.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@bscott  -- I'm not an expert and don't have an R8, but maybe luck struck, as I, at least for now, fixed the hanging mirror on my R3!!! I must at least have tested it 150 times after " my fix" and not a single miss! I promised another forum member to respond to a thread he started but I can't find it so I hope he reads this too.

So, I bought some watch oil and applied it to the few joints I could get at with the lens removed, VERY VERY little, with the mirror in its up position. I then tried it and I had made it MUCH worse and I was very unhappy with my skills, or lack thereof rather. So I decided, in my frustration, to use a bit of acetone, applying it to the same joints I had previously oiled.  Helped a bit, but no good.

Then I went away for 2+ weeks and just returned and for fun took my old R3 out, feels good in the hands, turned it on and voila it is working! Will it keep up "the good" work, I don't know of course, but maybe I'm lucky?

So will this help you, I don't know, but I knew that I had given up on my fixing the R3, and now I will try to use it again and see if it holds up another 40 years :-) that would make me 113 :-)

Now I do have "the other issue" as previously reported, and that's the advancement of the film which sometimes skips/doesn't work, so maybe I'm too optimistic, but I will try to see if I'm lucky on that one too.

OBTW when I try to lubricate anything in the camera again, and I will, then I will dilute the oil with some Alcohol first, as I think even the watch oil was too viscous.

For what it's worth and good luck with your R8

Preben

Edited by pridbor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions but my mirror is back to normal.  I don't know why it stuck but I kept working with the camera and all of sudden it began to work.  Lucky me.

Scott , lever position of the mirror (under the word R8 of the camera) : in which position  ?

Towards the lens (white point) or towards the outside (I) ?

H

Edited by Doc Henry