Color switching Monochrome, any fast way to do that?

ComocO

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I have just gotten the Q last weekend and so far I have been in love with it :-)

However, the way to get into changing mode between color and monochrome is super painful :-(

Anyone here has discovered any tip to do that without getting into long journey in menu list?

Hope there help me out here. Thanks in advance...

Setting a couple of Custom Settings is fast to switch from colour to monochrome.

Cheers and welcome...

+1. Easy. Did that a long time ago and I often switch between the two modes.

It only affects the jpg image and what you see on the displays on the camera. The DNG file still retains all the color information as well as the full size image in case you also zoomed in using the digital zoom button.

Edited by Infiniumguy
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Menu

JPG Settings

Saturation

Monochrome.

Select User Profile

Save as Profile

(Select the one you want)

You're done.

Now repeat with JPG saturation set to a non-monochrome setting and save to a different profile.

Choose between the two profiles as desired

• Like 1

Don't forget then to assign the option to bring up the different custom setting to the programmable button.  You can just tap the button, the menu with the 4 custom settings pops up, and you can even use the touch screen to select that one you want on the fly

Works fantastic and was a great FW2 upgrade

Don't forget then to assign the option to bring up the different custom setting to the programmable button. You can just tap the button, the menu with the 4 custom settings pops up, and you can even use the touch screen to select that one you want on the fly

Works fantastic and was a great FW2 upgrade

Great idea. I didn't know that. Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi all, new Leica Q user here. I was interested in switching between color and monochrome as well. I did the exact steps of creating 2 different user profiles and then programming the FN button to be able to switch  profiles. The problem is that the FN button reverts back to "White balance" once I use it to switch profiles. However, it doesn't do that if I program the FN to something else... only if I program it for "user profiles". Anyone else encounter this issue?

Since we usually post-process images, then it is far more useful to convert to monochrome after capture.

That way your options are far more sophisticated.

Edited by pico

Hi all, new Leica Q user here. I was interested in switching between color and monochrome as well. I did the exact steps of creating 2 different user profiles and then programming the FN button to be able to switch  profiles. The problem is that the FN button reverts back to "White balance" once I use it to switch profiles. However, it doesn't do that if I program the FN to something else... only if I program it for "user profiles". Anyone else encounter this issue?

I solved the problem. When programming the FN button to "user profiles", you must then save the profile again (as user 1, user 2, etc). When I did this, it did not revert back to "white balance". Must be a software quirk but it works.

Since we usually post-process images, then it is far more useful to convert to monochrome after capture.

That way your options are far more sophisticated.

Sure I get that. I use Silver Efex Pro to post process color images but I think its nice to capture monochrome images straight to the camera at times. I like how the Leica software renders B&W images, and to my eyes, is close to how I would post process them anyways.

• Like 1

I like to be able to see the preview in B&W, as I make different choices with regards to exposure than I might with a color image.  I like to have the DNG file so I'm not stuck with only a B&W jpeg as I would be on other cameras, and maybe process it differently though.