X 113 Raw - Is there an "easy" button to develop?

leicadude

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I hope this makes sense! :( I am not a pro or expert like so many here. I often read that shooting RAW is so much better! I have Lightroom, but RAW looks bad out of the box and I can't spend hours editing each photo. The JPEGs look really nice but I would like to improve if I can. My old Leica X1 created amazing JPEG images out of the camera. Seriously, I look back at those images and can't believe it.

Question: is there a way to easily develop the X 113 RAW files to get a Leica X1 look?

Thanks in advance!

Rudy

Rudy,

Import your photo into LR, go to the "Develop" tab on top and then click on the options "WB" and choose CUSTOM, AUTO, AS SHOT as you like;  then go to "TONE" and try clicking on AUTO, or manually adjusting the sliders to your end result preference.

Those are the simplest commands that may make a difference for you.

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Rudy,

I use Photoshop and I sharpen the file when converting my DNG. I would recommend doing that with your files.  The converting software you have I think is the same (Adobe).  When I open after conversion, I then adjust tonality using "curves".   In curves, I begin by establishing the outer parameters first (black-white) so as to get maximum detail in those areas and then work on adjusting the middle ground. I think that the X-113 JPEGs are good, but almost always use RAW because there is simply more to work with there.

My Best,

David

• Like 2

I am not familiar with Topaz. I have just begun learning Capture One.  My feeling is, if you are going to process from RAW, it's worth using good "sophisticated" as Rob says, software and learning it. The good news about that is that you don't need to do a whole lot with your files and can take it at your own pace to nuance your processing. LR should be all you need! :)

David

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am not familiar with Topaz. I have just begun learning Capture One.  My feeling is, if you are going to process from RAW, it's worth using good "sophisticated" as Rob says, software and learning it. The good news about that is that you don't need to do a whole lot with your files and can take it at your own pace to nuance your processing. LR should be all you need! :)

David

BTW, Capture One allows a free 30 day trial, so, you might explore that option too.

• Like 1

Rudy I do recommend spending a little time learning about Lightroom because once you understand the basics it is very rewarding. Also search in this forum for links to online tutorials by Kost. There is no secret button to avoid a little learning and you will become the richer as a result.

• Like 1

Hi Rudy,

I use Photoshop and I sharpen the file when converting my DNG. I would recommend doing that with your files.  The converting software you have I think is the same (Adobe).  When I open after conversion, I then adjust tonality using "curves".   In curves, I begin by establishing the outer parameters first (black-white) so as to get maximum detail in those areas and then work on adjusting the middle ground. I think that the X-113 JPEGs are good, but almost always use RAW because there is simply more to work with there.

My Best,

David

Not best practice. In PS you should sharpen in three steps: Capture sharpening in ACR to get as good a file to work on without artefacts, creative sharpening during postprocessing and output sharpening to prepare your file for print and web, which is about creating small halos to give an impression of sharpness without becoming visible on the medium when viewed from the intended distance.

I recommend "Real World Image Sharpening" by Schewe and Fraser, which, despite getting somewhat long in tooth is still the best book on the subject.

Failing that, try this PDF:

http://www.pixelgenius.com/tips/schewe-sharpening.pdf

• Like 1

Not best practice. In PS you should sharpen in three steps: Capture sharpening in ACR to get as good a file to work on without artefacts, creative sharpening during postprocessing and output sharpening to prepare your file for print and web, which is about creating small halos to give an impression of sharpness without becoming visible on the medium when viewed from the intended distance.

I recommend "Real World Image Sharpening" by Schewe and Fraser, which, despite getting somewhat long in tooth is still the best book on the subject.

Failing that, try this PDF:

http://www.pixelgenius.com/tips/schewe-sharpening.pdf

Agh!  There goes all the fun!  I appreciate your sharing the PDF though -very informative if overwhelming as Mr. Schewe concedes in the writing.