Summilux-R 1:1.4/50 Photographs (Post them here)

mark_pw

The Summilux 1.4/80 work superbly on the Sony A7S. Think carefully about the adapter you choose. the Novoflex is really good quality and works well, but I have just discovered a Chinese one called 'Yeenon' which has a helicoid that allows macro work as well as focussing to infinity. The build quality is every bit as good as the Novoflex. Prices are similar as I recall.

• Like 2

The Summilux 1.4/80 work superbly on the Sony A7S. Think carefully about the adapter you choose. the Novoflex is really good quality and works well, but I have just discovered a Chinese one called 'Yeenon' which has a helicoid that allows macro work as well as focussing to infinity. The build quality is every bit as good as the Novoflex. Prices are similar as I recall.

I think you are talking about this one.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

Unfortunately very hard lens to find at an affordable price. Hence I use my 50mm Summicron with stunning results.

The Cron is a real gem. There are two optical versions of the SLX R 50, the first one with e48 filter and later e55 filter thread. The second version from 1998 have the e60 filter thread. It's "better" than the previous version (whatever that means, more modern look probably) and quite expensive, app. like a new or almost new M ASPH-version.

I have the e55 version, very subtle and classic look, and It's about the same price as the 50 Cron, so not that expensive :).

//Johan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Unfortunately very hard lens to find at an affordable price. Hence I use my 50mm Summicron with stunning results.

I also own a Summicron-R. The results are just great.

For the price, I think a Summilux is around 50% higher than a Summicron. I mean both are R-mount.

The eBay price of Summicron-R is here.

The price of Summilux is here.

Autumn

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica R9, Summilux R 1:1,4/ 50mm, Kodak Ektachrome 100

Best regards

Thomas

• Like 4

Paper

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica R-E, Summilux R 1:1,4/ 50mm, Agfa Precisa 100

Best regards

Thomas

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Dear All,

I would like to know whether the minimum focusing distance changes if I use the Summilux-R 50mm on my M240 with an adapter. Minimum focus distance of the R is 0.5m. If I use it on the M240 will the distance change?

And which version Summilux-R 50mm f1.4 do you recommend? I see the images of both lenses, frankly I couldn't justify the high price of the second E60 version... You views on both version will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your reply in advance..

1 hour ago, Metin Colak said:

Dear All,

I would like to know whether the minimum focusing distance changes if I use the Summilux-R 50mm on my M240 with an adapter. Minimum focus distance of the R is 0.5m. If I use it on the M240 will the distance change?

And which version Summilux-R 50mm f1.4 do you recommend? I see the images of both lenses, frankly I couldn't justify the high price of the second E60 version... You views on both version will be greatly appreciated.

The adapter holds the lens at the correct distance from the sensor for an R lens, so there is no reason at all why the minimum focus distance should change.

The Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4 (mine is 1973-76 vintage, with the separate, removable lens hood and Series VII filters) works beautifully as a normal lens on Leica SL and M-P 240 bodies, and similarly works beautifully as a portrait-tele on the CL body. On the CL body, the rendering is nearly indistinguishable from the Summicron-R 90mm f/2 on the SL, although the eqFOV is a little shorter. It's one of my favorite lenses for the CL. 

I made this photo with it through the window of the California Zephyr while traveling from Chicago, Ill  to Emeryville, CA: 

enjoy!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Metin Colak said:

Dear All,

The Leica R Adapter M does not change any characteristics of a mounted lens regarding speed, focal length, or focusing range. It simply holds the lens in the correct position so that you can use it with a Leica M-mount camera. 

10 hours ago, ramarren said:

The Leica R Adapter M does not change any characteristics of a mounted lens regarding speed, focal length, or focusing range. It simply holds the lens in the correct position so that you can use it with a Leica M-mount camera. 

Thanks for your helpful reply Ramarren.

By the way, I see interesting bokeh, OOF and even glow in the photographs taken with this lens, and this fact becomes visible especially in close distance at f1.4 as far as I can see in the photographs. I can also see that interesting Leica glow on the shoulders of the subject in JMF's last photograph for instance. 

And moreover, I couldn't find any comment/analyses on the internet related to the capability of  R lenses (at least some of them, like the Lux-R 50) to get that so called magnificient 'Leica Glow'.

A good analyses or comment between the versions (E55 and E60) in terms of the transition between focus plane and out of focus plane, bokeh, and glow will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Metin Colak

3 hours ago, Metin Colak said:

Thanks for your helpful reply Ramarren.

By the way, I see interesting bokeh, OOF and even glow in the photographs taken with this lens, and this fact becomes visible especially in close distance at f1.4 as far as I can see in the photographs. I can also see that interesting Leica glow on the shoulders of the subject in JMF's last photograph for instance. 

And moreover, I couldn't find any comment/analyses on the internet related to the capability of  R lenses (at least some of them, like the Lux-R 50) to get that so called magnificient 'Leica Glow'.

A good analyses or comment between the versions (E55 and E60) in terms of the transition between focus plane and out of focus plane, bokeh, and glow will be greatly appreciated.

I'm not particularly good at analysis of "glow", but Leica R lenses are Leica lenses, designed by the same designers as M lenses and other Leica lens lines. It is very natural that they exhibit similar imaging characteristics overall. It's my opinion that some of the best Leica lenses made in the past fifty years, prior to the new SL lenses, are Leica R lenses. :)

I've never had both 'Lux-R 50mm lenses to compare them, so can't say much about what the differences might be. All I can tell you is that my early 'Lux-R 50 is simply a wonderful lens. 

• Like 1